Old 23-03-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

Default Wildflower plants

I am considering buying some wildflower plants (as plants/plugs rather
than seed) - has anyone tried http://www.wildflowers.co.uk/acatalog/.
Grateful for any feedback.
--
Robert
Old 24-03-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Robert wrote:
I am considering buying some wildflower plants (as plants/plugs rather
than seed) - has anyone tried http://www.wildflowers.co.uk/acatalog/.
Grateful for any feedback.

No never and at £20 for a small tray I won't either! I've established
a wildflowers 4mx2m bed in 2 years, and I reckon it cost me £2. The
first year, many flowered but were sparse, last year was quite
wonderful as they had all self seeded. Patience is so rewarding in
gardening.

Are you planting the plugs in an already established lawn/field? This
seem to be the reason for doing so (I've seen these chaps working on 2
acres of field, making holes for the plugs - the birds won't eat the
seeds and you can be sure of 100% flowers in summer).

Old 24-03-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Robert" wrote in message
I am considering buying some wildflower plants (as plants/plugs rather
than seed) - has anyone tried http://www.wildflowers.co.uk/acatalog/.
Grateful for any feedback.

I keep meaning to visit that nursery. Haven't bought from them online
but from what I hear they have a good reputation. Another one to look at
is Naturescape www.naturescape.co.uk/ . I had some nice little plugs
mail-order from them a few years back, and thought their catalogue was
very useful and informative about what plants suited which areas/soil
etc.

I think you're right to go for plugs or small plants if you're trying to
get more wildflowers into an already grassed area. You can always have a
go at growing some extra ones yourself in trays to keep costs to a
minimum. I found it easiest to clear small areas of turf to give the
new plantlets room to get a start before the grass closed in again. Once
they've established they'll seed around on their own.

--
Sue

Old 24-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sue wrote:
[...]
I think you're right to go for plugs or small plants if you're trying
to get more wildflowers into an already grassed area. You can always
have a go at growing some extra ones yourself in trays to keep costs
to a minimum. I found it easiest to clear small areas of turf to give
the new plantlets room to get a start before the grass closed in
again. Once they've established they'll seed around on their own.

But if the area has grass, you can forget about any massed effects with
most wild flowers. Meadow flowers will establish, and still look very
nice, but the grass will dominate. Among the best competers for more
striking effects I remember ox-eyes, and the little wild daffodils, too.
My bluebells-in-grass experiment hadn't really got going before I had to
move, but they seem to do well in some exposed grasslands.

There are a few which must never be let in, on pain of much wailing and
gnashing of teeth: I plead guilty to orange hawkweed

--
Mike.

Old 24-03-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Mike Lyle" wrote
But if the area has grass, you can forget about any massed effects
with most wild flowers. Meadow flowers will establish, and still look
very nice, but the grass will dominate. Among the best competers for
more striking effects I remember ox-eyes, and the little wild
daffodils, too. My bluebells-in-grass experiment hadn't really got
going before I had to move, but they seem to do well in some exposed
grasslands.

There are a few which must never be let in, on pain of much wailing
and gnashing of teeth: I plead guilty to orange hawkweed

Me too, and have a further offence of restharrow to be taken into
consideration m'lud.

Ox-eye daisies certainly do go forth and multiply even in long grass.
I've also had good results with scabious, knapweed and cowslips seeding
themselves around - the latter mainly in the strip of grass kept cut
shorter beside a mown path. They seem to be flourishing
there along with speedwell, bird's foot trefoil and kidney vetch. Meadow
cranesbill, on the other hand, has taken longer to make more new
plants - I think maybe the grass has now thinned out enough after
several harvests.

--
Sue

Old 24-03-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
I think you're right to go for plugs or small plants if you're trying
to get more wildflowers into an already grassed area. You can always
have a go at growing some extra ones yourself in trays to keep costs
to a minimum. I found it easiest to clear small areas of turf to give
the new plantlets room to get a start before the grass closed in
again. Once they've established they'll seed around on their own.

But if the area has grass, you can forget about any massed effects with
most wild flowers. Meadow flowers will establish, and still look very
nice, but the grass will dominate. Among the best competers for more
striking effects I remember ox-eyes, and the little wild daffodils, too.
My bluebells-in-grass experiment hadn't really got going before I had to
move, but they seem to do well in some exposed grasslands.

Cowslips and field geranium have done well with me, on rather rich
grassland on damp clay.

In high nutrient conditions, grass is a very effective competitor, so
you need to try to reduce the fertility, for example by always taking
away the grass cuttings and, of course, never, ever, feeding.

Crocuses aren't native, but the more delicate species ones fit in very
well.
--
Kay
Old 03-04-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

In message , K
writes
Mike Lyle writes
Sue wrote:
[...]
[...]

Many thanks to all for the advice. Our garden is on the site of
woodlands created by Brunel in the 1850's which was destroyed about 30
years ago but there are a few of the more stubborn woodland plants (some
interesting arum, wild strawberry and the dreaded Ramsomes) remaining
and we are planning to replace much of the rear lawn with wild planting.
We intend to remove the turf before planting, subject to my back holding
up!

--
Robert