Old 26-03-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default lobelia?

Has anyone *ever* managed to grow these things from seed?

I've sown and re-sown them 4 times in the past 6 weeks, and the same last
year too.
They grow to around 3mm high then die at next watering, even using an
atomiser to mist them over causes them to collapse and all other watering
methods do the same, once down they never stand up again and so it starts
all over again.

They are on a warm window cill at about 75F and covered with a propogator
lid.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 26-03-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil L writes
Has anyone *ever* managed to grow these things from seed?

I've sown and re-sown them 4 times in the past 6 weeks, and the same last
year too.
They grow to around 3mm high then die at next watering, even using an
atomiser to mist them over causes them to collapse and all other watering
methods do the same, once down they never stand up again and so it starts
all over again.

They are on a warm window cill at about 75F and covered with a propogator
lid.

I've grown them with no trouble. The differences are that I have always
sow them later (April) and in the greenhouse. So compared with you, they
are getting more light and less heat.

I don't bother nowadays as they're so cheap to buy as plants - let
someone else have the hassle, while I put my care and attention into
something more interesting.

--
Kay
Old 27-03-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Has anyone *ever* managed to grow these things from seed?

I've sown and re-sown them 4 times in the past 6 weeks, and the same last
year too.
They grow to around 3mm high then die at next watering, even using an
atomiser to mist them over causes them to collapse and all other watering
methods do the same, once down they never stand up again and so it starts
all over again.

They are on a warm window cill at about 75F and covered with a propogator
lid.

Its not timing, its damping off, and you need to water with a suitable
fungicide, I have also found you can prevent it by watering from below and
not overhead.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-03-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Has anyone *ever* managed to grow these things from seed?

I've sown and re-sown them 4 times in the past 6 weeks, and the same last
year too.
They grow to around 3mm high then die at next watering, even using an
atomiser to mist them over causes them to collapse and all other watering
methods do the same, once down they never stand up again and so it starts
all over again.

They are on a warm window cill at about 75F and covered with a propogator
lid.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

I just buy a 50p pot of seedlings from a local nursery.

OT - sort of. New use for Lobelia? Sacha United Kingdom 50 22-10-2003 08:42 PM
Lobelia - cut back? smeric Gardening 2 13-05-2003 10:56 PM
Lobelia Polar Gardening 0 30-04-2003 09:20 PM
lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
lobelia cardinalis rotting roots..help! Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 09:21 AM