Old 06-04-2006, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

Default need help for a sloping garden

"JB" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

:-) Ill mention it to the wife

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

From the photograph, it looks uninteresting, just a difficult-to-mow
piece of grass - buy in some bedding plants, keep changing them so you
always have a good display. Draw people's attention away from the slope by
giveing them something else to look at.
--
Kay

Fair point - We are planning to do some tweaking :-)

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

"JennyC" wrote in message

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...
Hey greenfingers

I have quite a large garden ... which sounds nice ... but it is all on a
slope. The slop varies between 30 - 45 degrees in places :-(

I am trying to sell my house .. but all of the viewers are saying "The
garden is an off put". I have put some photos of the garden he

http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co...garden1024.jpg 1024 x 720
or
http://www.certifiedgeek.co.uk/wp-co.../garden800.jpg 800 x 600

The photo doesnt show how steep and slopey the garden is, but it is.

I know most people say Terrace - but this would still be a big job.
Planners
have declined permission to build on it aswell.

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?
Thanks in advance
Simon

I presume this is the back garden?

Yes it is - It is not the most private garden :S as the whole estate looks
into

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

"Mike" wrote in message
It didn't put you off when you bought the place. Someone somewhere wants
your house and 'can' do something with it. Stick with it. Which way does
it
face? Can't tell by the shadows cos we don't know what time of day the
photy
was 'took'

Terrace? It might pay you if you have toooooooooo many refusals on that
count, to get it terraced.

It is a mainly South facing garden which is one bonus. It isnt that private
though as a lot of houses view into the garden.

When you out there in the Summer - you feel like your on show :-)

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

do you have on site covered parking? The bottom corner of the section
looks
ideally placed for a garage. If this was cut into the hill that would give
you a starting contour in which to terrace of landscape around. It will
cost
$$ however.

Yes we have a seperate garage

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...

"JB" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

:-) Ill mention it to the wife

Simon

At the moment I dont think (in general) it would appeal to a gardener or a
non-gardener (since that grass looks a bugger to mow).
So investing to make it v low maintenance, maybe terraces with gravel or
similar, might be an answer, it might then be of interest to someone who
doesnt want to have the care of a garden. Alternatively find out the cost of
terracing and drop the price by some considerable fraction of that, or be
prepared to wait.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 06-04-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"pleb" wrote in message
. uk...

"JB" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

:-) Ill mention it to the wife

Simon

At the moment I dont think (in general) it would appeal to a gardener or a
non-gardener (since that grass looks a bugger to mow).
So investing to make it v low maintenance, maybe terraces with gravel or
similar, might be an answer, it might then be of interest to someone who
doesnt want to have the care of a garden. Alternatively find out the cost
of terracing and drop the price by some considerable fraction of that, or
be prepared to wait.
--
Tumbleweed

Well - it seems terracing is the way forward - I will have to look into it
on the net to see some examples.

You are right ... in that the mowing is the worsed bit - it seems people
these days want houses and gardens with minimal input. During the summer
months, when the grass grows quickly, it is just a job keeping on top of it
.... let alone doing extra

Simon

Old 06-04-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

You are right ... in that the mowing is the worsed bit - it seems people
these days want houses and gardens with minimal input. During the summer
months, when the grass grows quickly, it is just a job keeping on top of

it
... let alone doing extra

Simon

and you are right too ;-) We opened out garden to the public on a fund
raising day last year and many many people remarked 'Oh you have a lawn'.
One small family sat down in the shade of the tree for a while!!! It would
appear that stones, slabs and decking are the order of the day :-(((((

Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"pleb" wrote
Well - it seems terracing is the way forward - I will have to look into it
on the net to see some examples.

http://www.thedesignofgardens.com/de..._of_level.html

http://www.thedesignofgardens.com/de..._with_decks.ht
ml

Terracing will be expensive. You could perhaps plant it up with ground cover
plants/shrubs that would not need too much attention. Gorse and broom always
look good on slopes.

You are right ... in that the mowing is the worsed bit - it seems people
these days want houses and gardens with minimal input. During the summer
months, when the grass grows quickly, it is just a job keeping on top of it
... let alone doing extra
Simon

You think your slope is steep?
They had 'grass pyramids' at the CEBIT in Hannover a few years ago:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitsh/2.../in/datetaken/
I think they had a sort of 'flymo on a rope' arrangement for mowing them :~))

Jenny

Old 07-04-2006, 02:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

"JB" wrote in message
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

Ahhhhh!!! LMAO...I like it.

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 07-04-2006, 02:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from JB contains these words:

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 15:14:03 GMT, "pleb" wrote:

Any further idea?? No matter how extreme?

Rebuild the house so it slopes at 30 - 45 degrees? Viewers will then
think the garden is level ;-)

Going upstairs to view the bedrooms could be tricky :-)

Janet

Just install a slide...Problem solved.

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pleb

"JennyC" wrote in message

"pleb" wrote
Well - it seems terracing is the way forward - I will have to look into
it
on the net to see some examples.

http://www.thedesignofgardens.com/de..._of_level.html

http://www.thedesignofgardens.com/de..._with_decks.ht
ml

Terracing will be expensive. You could perhaps plant it up with ground
cover
plants/shrubs that would not need too much attention. Gorse and broom
always
look good on slopes.

wow - nice bit of linking - thanks for that

Simon

Sloping Veg garden Patrick666 Gardening 8 14-08-2008 10:27 AM
Sloping soil - process of leveling and need help Meatball Gardening 0 12-04-2005 08:13 PM
Sloping and Small Mel United Kingdom 0 30-01-2004 10:33 AM
Sloping and Small (Long reply with solution) Mike United Kingdom 1 12-01-2004 10:02 AM
pond on a sloping garden Tony Ponds 1 16-05-2003 01:44 AM