Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Bexley, Kent
Exclamation help!

In amongst the pots that I have inherited I found a pot (at first glance empty) with a label Titan Arum, there is what appears to be a corm? with a small shoot growing. As for the other plants I typed the name into google and came up with some shocking results - this is one that I never want to flower!

Any one got a clue how to care for the leaf that should appear? Most sites just give details about the magnificant flower, none about caring for it.

Does anybody else know of anyone who has one?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default help!

"Potty Sarah" wrote in message

In amongst the pots that I have inherited I found a pot (at first glance
empty) with a label Titan Arum, there is what appears to be a corm? with
a small shoot growing. As for the other plants I typed the name into
google and came up with some shocking results - this is one that I
never want to flower!

Any one got a clue how to care for the leaf that should appear? Most
sites just give details about the magnificant flower, none about caring
for it.

Does anybody else know of anyone who has one?
Potty Sarah

I think the 'shoot' might actually be the flower spike.............it seems to
produce this before any leaves materialise.

If you really hate it, may I suggest you donate it to a local botanical garden?
Jenny

Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

--
Potty Sarah

How big was the corm? AFAIK unless it is fairly large I would not expect it
to flower this year.
Please tell us more about the other "nasties" they sound like my type of
plants.
If you hate them that much I will take them off your hands:-)

Old 11-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Potty Sarah contains these words:

Please go to the gardenbanter homepage , click "about gardenbanter",
and read the third post down by the webmaster. This explains the correct
way to post to this newsgroup including how to choose an appropriate
header. Thankyou.

Janet.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Bexley, Kent

Sorry that I did not use an appropriate header to my message - I was so intent on finding some information on this plant that I used 'help'- It won't happen again

Old 12-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Bexley, Kent

To clear up a misunderstanding that may have come across in my first post:

I do not hate this, or any other plant, it was just a shock to find out that this dinky little corm (1.5cm across) may eventually grow into the largest flower known in the world - and to top it all, it will smell like a corpse!!! I strongly suspect that it is not a flower spike - on research I have found that most flowering corms weigh well over 20lb, often corms a foot in diameter and have been kept in a glass/greenhouse. They only flower once because of the 'strength' it takes the plant to produce this massive flower - then it dies. It does, however, produce more corms before its demise. It produces only one leaf, which resembles a small tree and has the most facinating pattern on the stem.

I will post again once I have spare corms and will willingly post some off to anyone who so wishes one.

Still looking for information of how to care for the leaf.

Thanks for your replies
Old 12-04-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Rupert Wrote:
[...]

Buga I was hoping you had a very big flowering corm that you wanted rid of.
Nothing much to do to the leaf really. Keep the thing out of direct sun and
feed a few times each season and do not have it in soggy compost during
dormancy. It's not much different to any of the other aroids--just takes a
long time to flower.

--
Potty Sarah

Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Consider yourself told :-((

Old 13-04-2006, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Potty Sarah" wrote
[...]

You might ask these people:
http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/conserv...search/titan_a
rum

This seems to be a forum about them:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/69521/index.html

And Wikipedia has :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_arum
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphophallus

HTH Jenny

Old 13-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Bexley, Kent

Thanks Jenny, looks like I really don't have to do too much to care for it. It does say that they are expensive, so I'll guard it with my life and hope for the best
Old 22-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

It would be a great help for you to subscribe direstly to this newsgroup
rather than try to access it through this 'gardenbanter' site.

Alan

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM