Old 05-10-2005, 06:03 AM
BIGEYE

Default Petrol Lawn Mowers

I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA

Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Juan Hanglow

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA

you get what you pay for............so my sugg is stay clear of both and get
a Hayter

Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Leveled

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA
I have two Mountfield mowers from B and Q one self propelled one push both
purchased for not a lot more than £100 a couple of years ago They are cheap
and cheerful with Briggs and Stratton engines both good starters.They look
very similar to the E bay pictures Suggest you have a look E

Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 05:54:52 +0000 (UTC), Juan Hanglow wrote:

you get what you pay for............so my sugg is stay clear of both
and get a Hayter

One would assume if the OP is looking at sub =A3100 mowers he can't
afford a Hayter...

The picture of the Makita isnt in Makitia colours (at least not
colours I would associate with Makita) it is also a push but the
engine make is specified (Briggs). I'd google the model number...

The Mculloch (aka Eletrolux, Black & Decker etc) is self propelled,
unless the target grass is dead flat and smooth I suggest that self
propelled is essential. Engine make isn't specified and it is a
"graded" item, read the text at the bottom of the ad carefully. The
seller is up front about the items being graded though.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Sally

We've had a Toro for years and it is brilliant.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Bob Hobden

"BIGEYE" wrote
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Personally the Makita of the two, it does have a B & S motor which is OK the
other one is a Tecumseh which is again OK (spares place just down the road).
Both are 4 wheeled models and are therefore unable to run over the edge of a
lawn (next to a flower border) without a lot of effort on your part or
serious damage to the edge. Better, one with a roller on the back or both
back and front, this will also give you stripes if you want that.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Bridport, Dorset

Hi Bigeye,

You must do your own homework before bidding on Ebay, i.e. finding out what an item costs. I am a Sea Angler and time and time again I have seen people pay well over the top for items that can be purchased cheaper from a conventional outlet. You must also remember that the cost of postage must be taken into consideration.

I have had my Mountfield 18" petrol mower for over 25 years now, and it has never let me down. It is cleaned every time I use it and I change the oil every year. No doubt other people will give you advice on what to buy, in the long run it is entirely up to you.

regards

Drew
__________________
Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend
Old 05-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Road_Hog®

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Number 1, has the better engine with the Briggs & Stratton, even though it
is at their lower end. Makita, won't have made the mower, it will be
branded, so the make is unimportant. £100 should be your maximum bid
including carriage, otherwise nip down to your local DIY supermarket.

Number 2, says it's new, but also graded, graded usually means usused,
unless it is a factory reject. McCulloch, also don't exist as a company
anymore and are just branded units from the Electrolux Group. This one is
self propelled, but has the Tecumseh engine fitted, which is about as cheap
as you can get except for some of the stuff appearing from China now. £120
should be your maximum bid, however, I would personally purchase the Makita
branded unit.

Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Road_Hog®

"Drew" wrote in message
news
I have had my Mountfield 18" petrol mower for over 25 years now, and it
has never let me down. It is cleaned every time I use it and I change
the oil every year. No doubt other people will give you advice on what
to buy, in the long run it is entirely up to you.

Fantastic, but you must do you own research before giving out your advice.
Mountfield doesn't exist as a company anymore. The brand was sold off about
3 years ago. Any Mountfields for sale now are all made in the Italian or
Swedish factory of a large European based company. The quality is nothing
like that of a machine purchased 25 years ago or 10 for that matter.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Derek

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA

As its about the end of the growing season (global warming excepted) keep an
eye on BnQ and Argos for the next few weeks.Its about the time when they
want to clear stock to get the chrissy stuff in so bargains in the gardening
department can't be far away.
Derek

Old 06-10-2005, 04:20 PM

BIGEYE wrote:
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower, and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA

I bought a McCulloch with a plastic deck like the one pictured - I had
to return it because the grass box kept coming off during use. I
swapped it for a Homebase metal deck mower which although heavier
actually works properly. So I'd avoid the McCulloch.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
JP

wrote in message
oups.com...

BIGEYE wrote:
I have been looking at eBay with a view to buying a petrol lawn mower,
and
have these two in mind. Which one (if any) should I go for, and how much
should my max. bid be. Or is there a better petrol alternative around the
same price mark?

1. http://makeashorterlink.com/?U49521CEB

2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?C6A542CEB

Appreciate any advice.

TIA

I bought a McCulloch with a plastic deck like the one pictured - I had
to return it because the grass box kept coming off during use. I
swapped it for a Homebase metal deck mower which although heavier
actually works properly. So I'd avoid the McCulloch.

Agreed
Avoid plastic deck machines.
Dont waste your money on SP.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Robin

"Juan Hanglow" wrote in message
you get what you pay for............so my sugg is stay clear of both and
get a Hayter

Seconded. I have the Hayter hunter 41, one of my best ever house tool
investments.
Cheap spares from http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk/

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
Advice please - Self-propelled walk-behind petrol-driven mowers Raymond RUSSELL United Kingdom 14 05-07-2010 05:48 PM
Petrol Self-Propelled Lawn Mower for Small/Medium Lawn Si United Kingdom 2 20-03-2007 11:36 PM
petrol mowers aj United Kingdom 7 11-04-2006 11:12 PM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM