Old 15-04-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Builders merchant bulk bags

Last year I successfully grew potatoes in the above. As I don't want to
replace all the soil in them what do the team think of growing carrots
in them? I am bugged by carrot root fly so am wondering if I sow
carrots well below the top of the bags if this will keep the blighters away.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 16-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Registered User

Location: Bexley, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback
Last year I successfully grew potatoes in the above. As I don't want to
replace all the soil in them what do the team think of growing carrots
in them? I am bugged by carrot root fly so am wondering if I sow
carrots well below the top of the bags if this will keep the blighters away.
--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
My mum was too plagued by root fly, so she built a small raised bed only a couple of feet away from where she usually planted carrots. Last years she had a terrific crop of carrots that had no problems - hope that helps
Old 16-04-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
taz

Should work well, since the dreaded flies have a problem with altitude
- they can only get up to about thigh-height, so the builders bags
ought to keep them totally oblivious to your carrots. Planting some
onions in amongst the carrots and only thinning them out in the evening
(preferably a dampish one) will all help as well. Good luck!

Old 18-04-2006, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
?..?

"taz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Should work well, since the dreaded flies have a problem with altitude
- they can only get up to about thigh-height, so the builders bags
ought to keep them totally oblivious to your carrots. Planting some
onions in amongst the carrots and only thinning them out in the evening
(preferably a dampish one) will all help as well. Good luck!

Imagining the height of a Bulk Bag does that mean your thigh height is only
2'6 ?

Old 18-04-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

?..? writes

"taz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should work well, since the dreaded flies have a problem with altitude
- they can only get up to about thigh-height, so the builders bags
ought to keep them totally oblivious to your carrots. Planting some
onions in amongst the carrots and only thinning them out in the evening
(preferably a dampish one) will all help as well. Good luck!

Imagining the height of a Bulk Bag does that mean your thigh height is only
2'6 ?

What's so strange about that?

Given that the groin is about half way up, and mid thigh about 6 inches
below that, that would imply the poster is about 6ft tall. Are you much
taller than average?
--
Kay

Old 18-04-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Taz

Amen sister!