Old 20-04-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default hardening off

I have started to harden off my seedlings with the intention of
planting them this weekend.

I don't have access to a cold frame some I've just put them outside
near the conservatory on the deck.

As I work during the day I put them out this morning and will bring
them in when I get home.

Is this a safe way of doing it ?
Will several days of doing this be sufficient to allow me to plant them
out this weekend ?

Cheers

Colin

Old 20-04-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

It all depends on how hot it gets during the day and how hard the wind
blows. Hardening off prepares the new plants for both. If it isn't too
cold, I like to take the trays of seeds and set them out on the deck in the
sun, early in the spring and bring them in at night. Then when the plants
are big enough to plant and the weather will cooperate, they are ready to be
planted.

In your case, I would do it until the following weekend and give them an
extra week to gain more strength. If at all possible, I would start at 2
hours a day for a couple days before going to all day. Maybe you could
start it this weekend and go till the next one.

Dwayne (From Kansas)

oups.com...

Old 20-04-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have started to harden off my seedlings with the intention of
planting them this weekend.

I don't have access to a cold frame some I've just put them outside
near the conservatory on the deck.

As I work during the day I put them out this morning and will bring
them in when I get home.

Is this a safe way of doing it ?

As long as they're in a sheltered spot.

Will several days of doing this be sufficient to allow me to plant them
out this weekend ?

Too early, IMO. Here in the SW of UK we're encouraging customers to
wait until first or second week in May. Where do you live? If you
include location in your signature, it makes it easier for people to
advise you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardening_Convert

As I work during the day I put them out this morning and will bring
them in when I get home.

Is this a safe way of doing it ?
Will several days of doing this be sufficient to allow me to plant them
out this weekend ?

Cheers

Colin
Firstly what you are doing is ok, but couple of things spring to mind re-planting them, depends upon the type of plants and your location.

In my case ( I live in West Yorks ) I wont plant out hardy plants until mid May & half hardy stuff until ythe first week in June
Old 20-04-2006, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

I'm in Reading in Berkshire

Tomatoes
chilli's
peppers
dwarf Aubergine
marigold's
Ipomia

Old 21-04-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata

Scotia wrote:
Gardening_Convert Wrote:

As I work during the day I put them out this morning and will bring
them in when I get home.

Is this a safe way of doing it ?
Will several days of doing this be sufficient to allow me to plant
them
out this weekend ?

Cheers

Colin

Whatever you do, don't plant out your Ipomoeas early. They really hate
cold weather; if subjected to it the leaves go pale and the plants
refuse to grow. They don't seem to recover from it.

Hardening Off Plants Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 23-10-2004 04:56 PM
Hardening Off questions Leslie Gardening 9 11-04-2004 06:32 AM
Hardening off Neale United Kingdom 1 23-05-2003 10:32 AM
Hardening off in windy weather? Jon Shemitz Edible Gardening 0 15-05-2003 09:44 PM
Hardening off JimM United Kingdom 6 02-05-2003 08:20 AM