Old 27-04-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Heanes

Default Cashing in on the Birds & the Bees

GlacierDid anyone read the Viewpoint article in Mays Gardener 'Cashing in on
the Birds & the Bees'? I have been mesmerised looking at all the little bee
houses, lacewing homes etc. but in the end it is all a money making con.
Hubby strung his bits of bamboo together & drilled holes in bits of wood to
attract these creatures and from what Ken Thompson says has probably done
better than anything you could buy!!
*))) (((*

Old 27-04-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Hi Ann,

I admit to have been very tempted to buy a ladybird house etc. but
after giving it much thought came to the same conclusion as you, that
it's all just a money making thing which makes rich companies get even
richer on the back of wildlife. I decided not to contribute to the
money makers and I'm afraid the ladybirds in my garden will have to do
what they have always done. Whatever that is?

Good for your hubby though! Emmmm...you have planted the idea in my
mind and now I will ask my partner to make me one! He will be very
happy about that - not! :-)) Thank you for the tip

Old 27-04-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"tom&barbara" wrote

Good for your hubby though! Emmmm...you have planted the idea in my
mind and now I will ask my partner to make me one! He will be very
happy about that - not! :-)) Thank you for the tip

If you have perennials that make big hollow stems, you could save some
when you cut them down after flowering and use in bundles, trimmed to
length.

--
Sue