Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

Default Beetles, Acers and well

Who is he

Why low on foliage

Spiders for the lovers

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/RedBeetle.htm

dj

Old 01-05-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"StsAlive" wrote in message
Who is he

It's a red lily beetle - (Lilioceris lilii).
It eats things particularly lilies and things that look like lilies such
as Cardiocrinum. Real Batards, but very pretty.

Why low on foliag

It has not come out yet:-)

Spiders for the lovers

Will it eat lily beetles

Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"StsAlive" wrote in message
Who is he

It's a red lily beetle - (Lilioceris lilii).
It eats things particularly lilies and things that look like lilies such
as Cardiocrinum. Real Batards, but very pretty.

Why low on foliag

It has not come out yet:-)

Spiders for the lovers

Will it eat lily beetles

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/RedBeetle.htm

dj

thanks Rupert,

per the Acer what you see is one of only two branches out of a total of ten
that have good buds very close to breaking out. The other branches show
absolutely no signs of bud movement at all. This time last year all braches
were virtually in full leaf.

I wish old spider would eat those beetles now........

ta
dj

Old 01-05-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"StsAlive" wrote in message
Who is he

It's a red lily beetle - (Lilioceris lilii).
It eats things particularly lilies and things that look like lilies such
as Cardiocrinum. Real Batards, but very pretty.

Why low on foliag

It has not come out yet:-)

Spiders for the lovers

Will it eat lily beetles

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/RedBeetle.htm

dj

thanks Rupert,

per the Acer what you see is one of only two branches out of a total of
ten that have good buds very close to breaking out. The other branches
show absolutely no signs of bud movement at all. This time last year all
braches were virtually in full leaf.

Well it has been a very unusual Autumn/Winter and Spring. The poor thing
might not yet know whether it's coming or going. Give it a bit more time.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 1 May 2006 22:12:42 +0100
"StsAlive" wrote:

[]
per the Acer what you see is one of only two branches out of a total of ten
that have good buds very close to breaking out. The other branches show
absolutely no signs of bud movement at all. This time last year all braches
were virtually in full leaf.

[]

It's doing much better than my A. shirasawanum 'Aureum.' Only
one tiny branch way on the bottom is coming out at all. The other
buds appear dead. I'm hoping that I'll soon see the "emergency"
buds, but... It's been a miserable winter for maples.

On the other hand A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' is just fine,
confirming that it's relatively tougher than 'Aureum.'

Is yours actually the species?

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 02-05-2006, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Emery Davis wrote:
On Mon, 1 May 2006 22:12:42 +0100
"StsAlive" wrote:

[]

per the Acer what you see is one of only two branches out of a total of ten
that have good buds very close to breaking out. The other branches show
absolutely no signs of bud movement at all. This time last year all braches
were virtually in full leaf.

[]

It's doing much better than my A. shirasawanum 'Aureum.' Only
one tiny branch way on the bottom is coming out at all. The other
buds appear dead. I'm hoping that I'll soon see the "emergency"
buds, but... It's been a miserable winter for maples.

On the other hand A. shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' is just fine,
confirming that it's relatively tougher than 'Aureum.'

Is yours actually the species?

-E

Miserable indeed. My new one (bought from crocus.co.uk & planted in Feb)
is looking a bit miserable. Lots of buds have sprung leaves, but they
are all looking wilted and tired. Hopefully some decent weather will
bring it to life...
Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 May 2006 22:12:42 +0100
"StsAlive" wrote:

[]
[...]

E,

yes

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Shirasa.htm

dj

Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Tue, 2 May 2006 06:17:43 +0100
"StsAlive" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

[]
Is yours actually the species?

[]
E,

yes

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/Shirasa.htm

DJ,

Always hard to tell from a photo, but I believe that is
A. shirasawanum 'Aureum' _not_ A. shirasawanum var.
shirasawanum. I.e. a cultivar not the species.

Here are some photos of each:

Species:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acshir.htm

Cultivar 'Aureum':

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acsaur.htm

Lovely little tree you've got, I hope it recovers.

-E

Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"StsAlive" wrote in message
Who is he

It's a red lily beetle - (Lilioceris lilii).
It eats things particularly lilies and things that look like lilies such
as Cardiocrinum. Real Batards, but very pretty.

this is a complete tangent but do you know anything about
Cardiocrinums?
I have been growing them in small pots for years (because of 2 house
moves)
from one batch of seed from a plant sale and now have a few planted
out.
They get murdered by snails and slugs but a couple seem ready to flower
this year.
Can I then collect more seed or collect bulblets?

Why low on foliag

It has not come out yet:-)

Spiders for the lovers

That is a garden spider (Araneus diadematus or related).

Will it eat lily beetles

If they fly into its web it might but the beetles are probably red for
a reason (e.g. they taste dire).

http://www.daj.fseltd.btinternet.co.uk/RedBeetle.htm

dj

What I don't know about Cardiocrinums could be written on the entire storage
space of Google:-)
Three bubs planted about four years ago. One bulb was given the big
hole/dead cow underneath treatment (dead bird)by which time the other two
were just stuck in.
Each year I get a superb display of leaves on all three plants but I am
reliably informed that the one that I pampered will flower this year and
then die. I have been told to dig up the plant and pot on the small bulbs.
They are worth growing just for the leaves and as a lure for that bloody
beetle.
Hoping someone else will give addition advice to us both.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"StsAlive" wrote in message
[...]

that had me splashing coffee all over me keyboard; visions of digger
and full size Hereford bull being pushed into hole.

(dead bird)by which time the other two
were just stuck in.
Each year I get a superb display of leaves on all three plants but I am
reliably informed that the one that I pampered will flower this year and
then die. I have been told to dig up the plant and pot on the small bulbs.
They are worth growing just for the leaves and as a lure for that bloody
beetle.
Hoping someone else will give addition advice to us both.

My problem is they were pot bound for years (house moves).
Despite this the bulbs still beefed up.
I finally maged to plant all of mine into the ground (half last year
and the rest 1 month ago).
They get massacred by slugs and snails and this year was so cold they
just sat there being eaten, unable to grow out of reach.
I saved some by aluminium sulphate powder (slug deterrent).
One of them is now growing tall and may flower I suppose and has a tiny
side shoot at the base which may
be a small bulb. They are supposed to be outrageously handsome/nice
smelling when they flower.
I have nursed them through 2 house moves from seeds 8 years ago and
would like to see them do well but it is a rigmarole. Maybe the
bulblets will settle in if I plant them after flowering.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"StsAlive" wrote in message
[...]

I hope that SWMBO is not looking at new houses:-)
The best of luck with your plantation of bulbs.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

"StsAlive" wrote:

[...]

Yes it is an Aureum I remember now, also the cost £150 and too hope it
recovers.

It was a 50th present from friends.