Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Default Seeds are sprouted ... but what do I do next?

I've been trying to grow plants from seeds this year instead of buying
seedlings from nurseries. I now have sproutlings for cosmos, dwarf
delphiniums, flat leaf parsley, bidens, nigella. I know that you need
to pinch out basil (I've got loads of this too) and fushias to get
decent bushy plants. Do I need to do the same for any of the seeds I
mentioned above?

I'm just about to prick them out and not sure if I should pinch, and if
so, at what size.

Many thanks.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Small Red Robin wrote:
I've been trying to grow plants from seeds this year instead of buying
seedlings from nurseries. I now have sproutlings for cosmos, dwarf
delphiniums, flat leaf parsley, bidens, nigella. I know that you need
to pinch out basil (I've got loads of this too) and fushias to get
decent bushy plants. Do I need to do the same for any of the seeds I
mentioned above?

I'm just about to prick them out and not sure if I should pinch, and if
so, at what size.

DON'T PINCH!
Prick out into small pots or modules and try to harden them off prior
to planting outdoors from June 1st onwards (date of last frosts bar
very bad luck).

Many thanks.