Old 18-05-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Interesting worm facts

"K" wrote in message
George.com writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in

the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested?

That wasn't Mike's question ;-)

His question was why did UK gardeners need to be told that worms were
good (implication - it's something we know already).

his question was actually 'what makes me think that people on this newsgroup
need me to announce that worms are essential'.
I guess I slightly misread his question. What makes me? Nothing, I never
assumed I did need to tell worm lovers that they needed worms in their soil.
I did preface my post by saying that if people thought worms were an
optional extra the info would change their mind. Obviously those who know
the benefits of worms would understand clearly and simply nod their head in
agreement if they looked at the webpage. People who know all about the
benefits of worms may simply have skipped over it. So be it, clearly their
prerogative.

If they did check it out they may have been surprised about some of the
facts. I was. That is where the interest factor may have come in.

I also pointed out my previous ignorant ways. I presumed people would act
much like I would when faced with such a statement, nod their head and
acknowledge someone is learning about the wonders of natural cycles. I
certainly didn't expect people to treat it as a lesson on how to suck eggs.
Maybe some people get a little bristley when they think people are trying to
tell them something they already know. Not my intention to do so anyway. I
would be surprised if people did take it that way, given the general
willingness to share info and advice on the newsgroup. I have not detected
any 'know alls' on the group. I do admit however Kay that I could be wrong.

As for UK imports to New Zealand, if you think only a few you are wrong. Try
loads. Unfortunately when your ancestors (and mine) came to this country in
succeeding generations they brought a large chunk of England with them. Some
of what they bought is good and nice and worthwhile. Some of it was darn
right destructive and a living legacy of the mistakes of our fore fathers
(not that they would have known any better mind). As a nation NZ suffered a
dramatic change to its natural landscape over a short period of time. Quite
a bit of damage was done and we are still putting it right. Thats a by the
way discussion however.

rob

Old 18-05-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As for UK imports to New Zealand, if you think only a few you are wrong.

I was talking specifically about species of earthworms, and the
information was from a source I trust.

Try
loads.

Of species of earthworms? If you can let me know which species of
earthworm have been imported from the UK to NZ, I'll challenge my
source.

I was posting in *support* of your thesis that your quoted url was
relevant to the UK - don't jump down my throat!
--
Kay
Old 19-05-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"K" wrote in message

As for UK imports to New Zealand, if you think only a few you are wrong.

I was talking specifically about species of earthworms, and the
information was from a source I trust.

Try
loads.

Of species of earthworms? If you can let me know which species of
earthworm have been imported from the UK to NZ, I'll challenge my
source.

I was posting in *support* of your thesis that your quoted url was
relevant to the UK - don't jump down my throat!

if worms only then I will defer to your knowledge as I personally haven't a
clue. We do however have many imports from England (my folks for one) and a
nu,mber of them are now pests (my folks say the same of me). I wasn't
jumping down your throat, just saying that we have been 'lucky' to get so
many british species going ferel out here. Interestingly enough a number
seem to be classed as part of the british heritage and/or are controllable
in the UK. I guess it points to the influence british horticulture has had
(up until recent times) in NZ.

rob

Old 19-05-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"K" wrote in message
George.com writes

if worms only then I will defer to your knowledge as I personally haven't

clue. We do however have many imports from England (my folks for one) and

nu,mber of them are now pests

(my folks say the same of me). I wasn't
jumping down your throat, just saying that we have been 'lucky' to get so
many british species going ferel out here. Interestingly enough a number
seem to be classed as part of the british heritage and/or are

controllable
in the UK.

That's a common theme. We equally have a large number of imports, and
some have become pests - often ones which are not pests (and even
struggling) in their country of origin.

really, like what? I have read some stuff about weeds but animals as well? I
have heard about the squirrel controversy and people remind me about the
very helpful worm we have sent your way. The problem we have with the animal
pests is that some of them, stoats/weasels/ferrets/rats mainly (but also
ferrel cats) have decimated our native bird population, some of which can't
fly. The eating pests, especially possums, but also goats/deer/pigs and
rabbits wolf through our native forests.

rob

Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by George.com View Post
Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms are an
option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right. I was a little
surprised by some of the stats quoted here, impressive stuff. It confirms
what we all know, to encourage worms have good availability of organic
material including organic fertilisers, eliminate or at least reduce
dramatically the pesticides and fungicides and easy on the synthetic
fertilisers. Kill your worms and kill your soil. Don't be like me who used
to dump litres of toxic shit onto my lawn and top it off with a high
nitrogen synthetic fertiliser (grass on steroids). Luckily my worms survived
my neglect. Some of the worms listed here are NZ residents so you may not
get them.