Old 13-05-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Interesting worm facts

Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms are an
option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right. I was a little
surprised by some of the stats quoted here, impressive stuff. It confirms
what we all know, to encourage worms have good availability of organic
material including organic fertilisers, eliminate or at least reduce
dramatically the pesticides and fungicides and easy on the synthetic
fertilisers. Kill your worms and kill your soil. Don't be like me who used
to dump litres of toxic shit onto my lawn and top it off with a high
nitrogen synthetic fertiliser (grass on steroids). Luckily my worms survived
my neglect. Some of the worms listed here are NZ residents so you may not
get them.

http://www.gardenscience.co.nz/soil/...earthworms.htm

Old 13-05-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"George.com" wrote in message

Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms
are an option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right.

Nobody with any serious interest in the subject has been in any
doubt as to the beneficial role of earthworms ever since the
publication of

"The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms."
by Charles Darwin

London, John Murray. 1883 i.e. over 120 years ago.

Links to the full text of the 7 shortish chapters can be
found on here.

http://tinyurl.com/m7qw3

for -

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...uld/mould.html

However, just as with the true implications of the work for
which Darwin is best known - "On The Origin of Species by Means
of Natural Selection" 1859, that life serves no real purpose at
all other than just well....existing, people also choose to ignore
the possible implications of killing off all their earthworms in the hope
of avoiding worm casts on their perfect bowling greens, or denying any
food to the resident moles who are spoiling their lawns. But then
people are just like that, unfortunately.

Some of the worms listed here are NZ residents so you may not
get them.

The only New Zealand worm of any interest to U.K residents
are New Zealand flatworms. Cannibals who since their accidental
introduction into the U.K have shown a voracious appetite for
our native earthworms, while being unpalatable to the likes of
predators such as ground beetles and the like.

http://flatworm.csl.gov.uk/

Although having just read the link, it seems to got itself
a good lawyer and a good agent in the meantime.

Nevertheless, I'd stop while I was ahead if I were you.

michael adams

Old 14-05-2006, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"michael adams" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms
are an option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right.

Nobody with any serious interest in the subject has been in any
doubt as to the beneficial role of earthworms ever since the
publication of

"The Formation of Vegetable Mould, Through the Action of Worms."
by Charles Darwin

true indeed however some people do not realise how beneficial worms are
especially, imo, people who grow lawns and pour all sorts of chemicals on to
the lawn and endanger their worms.

The only New Zealand worm of any interest to U.K residents
are New Zealand flatworms. Cannibals who since their accidental
introduction into the U.K have shown a voracious appetite for
our native earthworms, while being unpalatable to the likes of
predators such as ground beetles and the like.
Although having just read the link, it seems to got itself

a good lawyer and a good agent in the meantime.

Nevertheless, I'd stop while I was ahead if I were you.

michael adams

we will exchange the flat worm for gorse, thistles, ragwort, rabbits,
stoats, weasels, ferrets, possums and wasps. Though not all your you are
welcome to them.

rob

Old 14-05-2006, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

George.com wrote:
Some interesting facts for worm denyers. If people still think worms are an
option in their gardens or lawns this will put them right. I was a little
surprised by some of the stats quoted here, impressive stuff. It confirms
what we all know, to encourage worms have good availability of organic
material including organic fertilisers, eliminate or at least reduce
dramatically the pesticides and fungicides and easy on the synthetic
fertilisers. Kill your worms and kill your soil. Don't be like me who used
to dump litres of toxic shit onto my lawn and top it off with a high
nitrogen synthetic fertiliser (grass on steroids). Luckily my worms survived
my neglect. Some of the worms listed here are NZ residents so you may not
get them.

http://www.gardenscience.co.nz/soil/...earthworms.htm

My new build lawn has very few worms - and I could do with some to
improve drainage, and the general condition of the under-soil. Can worms
be bougth mail order and simple scattered on the surface ? Or have
missed the boat now that the lawn is down and doing well ?
Old 14-05-2006, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"NC" wrote in message
news
George.com wrote:
[...]

The worms should colonise your lawn on their own.
If this is not the case then bought in worms will not colonise it either.

Old 14-05-2006, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

My new build lawn has very few worms - and I could do with some to improve
drainage, and the general condition of the under-soil. Can worms be bougth
mail order and simple scattered on the surface ? Or have missed the boat
now that the lawn is down and doing well ?

The worms should colonise your lawn on their own.
If this is not the case then bought in worms will not colonise it either.

ah, fair enough. Just wait and see then. I have spotted the odd one -
hopefully is an indication of a growing underground city !
Old 14-05-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

Wasps are beneficial both as pollinators and as predators of many
garden pests. In fact in their own way, they're as beneficial as
are earth worms.

Ferrets are beneficial to man which is why they're semi-domesticated
as they prey on grain eating rodents such as mice. The same probably
goes for stoats and weasels which won't submit to semi domestication
in similar fashion. Except all are a threat to both poultry and their
eggs. You're lucky you don't have mink which can outdo all three of
these.

Your rabbits are probably from Oz, and date from the day in 1859
when Thomas "Clueless" Austin, released 24 wild rabbits* onto
his farm for hunting purposes. hoot

michael adams

rob

Old 14-05-2006, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"NC" wrote in message
news
George.com wrote:
[...]

a rough guide to worm activity is to cut a spade cubed (spade L x W x D)
block out of your turf and hand count the worms in it. 7 or under per turf
block shows a serious worm deficiency. Anything around 23 or over shows
excellent numbers. Be aware you may have to sacrifice your sod for this. A
handy way to encourage worms is organic matter in the soil. A mulching mower
will leave lawn clippings in the soil for the worms. Organic fertilisers
such as pelletised animal poop or blood and bone can also help.

You could try digging some up from another garden (thats a lot of digging
mind) and scattering them across the soil to see if they will take. Depends
on what your soil is like and availability of food mind. Work on improving
your soil and the worms will come.
rob

Old 14-05-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com writes

we will exchange the flat worm for gorse, thistles, ragwort, rabbits,
stoats, weasels, ferrets, possums and wasps.

You didn't get the possums from us.
--
Kay
Old 15-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

George.com wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
news
George.com wrote:
[...]

Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

Old 15-05-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

Although they'll be after anything they can get - grubs etc.

In my garden anywhere there has been compost or organic matter there
are worms a plenty. Where there isn't anything organic there are no
worms. As others say if you put organic material down worms will come.

Old 16-05-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Broadback" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
news
George.com wrote:
[...]

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

rob

Old 16-05-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

--
Mike.

Old 17-05-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested? I suppose because I
found it interesting and I thought others may as well. Because whilst I am a
big fan of worms there was stuff on the webpage I did not know. Other people
may not have known it either. Because quite often I find useful or
interesting info or links provided by users of this newsgroup and I thought
this would be interesting and maybe useful for others. And finally, it was
only in starting to understand the work worms and other organisms do in the
soil that I actively sought to encourage them and look after my soil and
gardens. Maybe someone else who didn't know much, reading about the top
class work of worms, would actively seek to encourage their development.
People on this newsgroup seem to have a diverse knowledge of gardening and
garden matters. Some know it all, some are learnign every time they log in.

Whilst not wanting to second guess you Mike, I would make these additional
comments. Whilst the webpage does mention NZ worms specifically, many of the
comments are applicable to worms worldwide. I doubt NZ worms don't realise
they are kiwis nor British worms that they are poms. Secondly, many of the
people popping in to this newsgroup are not brits. They/we pick up what is
applicable to our gardening circumstances and contribute what they/we think
may be applicable to yours.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

rob

Old 17-05-2006, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George.com writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]
Birds stamping on your lawn are good guides to worms.

or they may simply be having a tantrum because there is no tucker in the
lawn for them.

What interests me, though only mildly, is what made you think that a UK
gardening newsgroup needed somebody to announce that earthworms are
essential in a healthy soil.

what makes me think that people will be interested?

That wasn't Mike's question ;-)

His question was why did UK gardeners need to be told that worms were
good (implication - it's something we know already). I suppose one
answer to that would be that every now and again we have people asking
how to get rid of worms and worm casts in a lawn, and an occasional
poster who gives advice on removing worms from lawns.

Whilst not wanting to second guess you Mike, I would make these additional
comments. Whilst the webpage does mention NZ worms specifically, many of the
comments are applicable to worms worldwide.

In terms of numbers of species, I gather that there are few UK imports
to NZ, but in terms of numbers of worms, particularly in heavily
populated areas, UK imports and the species that have spread worldwide
dominate. So there would seem to be a lot of relevance.

--
Kay