Old 19-05-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Elder Disaster

Jupiter wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:04:54 +0100, "louisxiv"
wrote:

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
louisxiv wrote:
My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying
to re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I
cut my losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

It's had it. You might find that if you chop it off and dig
it in that it'll sprout up again. I'd get rid of it, and
replace with something else that'll disguise the house
behing. Are we looking roughly east?

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even see one!

Looking roughly North

Some kind of bridge. Looks like one of those things for carrying
pipes across a canal running through a chemical works.

This is turning into a saga. In fact, an Elder Edda...OK, I'll get me
coat.

--
Mike.

Old 20-05-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message .com,
writes

It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

If it was there already and they were happy with it, they could be
allowed to have another one.

It probably won't regrow, but elders are short-lived and seed freely:
just thin out the seedlings as they grow.

--
Sue ]