Old 19-05-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

Default Elder Disaster

The elder tree I discussed in an earlier thread/post (09/05/2006 @ 00:21)
has now been blown over by the wind. I think that what has happened is that
the removal of the rubbish and soil at its base has left it vulnerable to
toppling as it was partly rooted in the manky pile of garbage (masquerading
as a compost heap) which had been chucked around it for 20 years by previous
owner.

My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying to
re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I cut my
losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

xiv

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

Old 19-05-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"louisxiv" wrote in message
The elder tree I discussed in an earlier thread/post (09/05/2006 @ 00:21)
has now been blown over by the wind. I think that what has happened is
that the removal of the rubbish and soil at its base has left it
vulnerable to toppling as it was partly rooted in the manky pile of
garbage (masquerading as a compost heap) which had been chucked around it
for 20 years by previous owner.

My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying
to re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I
cut my losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

xiv

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

It is deceased, gone and is no more. Treat the incident as a Golden
opportunity to redesign and replant what will be a large area.

Old 19-05-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv writes

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even *see* a landmark in the background! Which pic?
--
Kay
Old 19-05-2006, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

"K" wrote in message
louisxiv writes

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even *see* a landmark in the background! Which pic?
--
Kay

The second one. It's a misty day. It wasn't meant to be easy!

Old 19-05-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

louisxiv wrote:
My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying to
re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I cut my
losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

It's had it. You might find that if you chop it off and dig
it in that it'll sprout up again. I'd get rid of it, and
replace with something else that'll disguise the house
behing. Are we looking roughly east?

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even see one!

Old 19-05-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

louisxiv wrote:
"K" wrote...
louisxiv writes
P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even *see* a landmark in the background! Which pic?

The second one. It's a misty day. It wasn't meant to be easy!

Aha! *Now* I see! It's a something-beginning-with "B".
Old 19-05-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
louisxiv wrote:
"K" wrote...
louisxiv writes
P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?
I can't even *see* a landmark in the background! Which pic?

The second one. It's a misty day. It wasn't meant to be easy!

Aha! *Now* I see! It's a something-beginning-with "B".

Yup

Old 19-05-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Bacon wrote:
louisxiv wrote:
"K" wrote...
louisxiv writes
P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?
I can't even *see* a landmark in the background! Which pic?

The second one. It's a misty day. It wasn't meant to be easy!

Aha! *Now* I see! It's a something-beginning-with "B".

Bloody big bridge?

Old 19-05-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
louisxiv

louisxiv wrote:
My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying
to re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I
cut my losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

It's had it. You might find that if you chop it off and dig
it in that it'll sprout up again. I'd get rid of it, and
replace with something else that'll disguise the house
behing. Are we looking roughly east?

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even see one!

Looking roughly North

Old 19-05-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

louisxiv wrote:
P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even see one!

Looking roughly North

Newcastle?

Old 19-05-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

louisxiv wrote:
My question: Given the shallow roots (see second image below) and the
general lack of anything which looks lively down there is it worth trying
to re-erect it and reroot it (i.e. is it likely to survive) or should I
cut my losses and redesign around the space it has freed up.

http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c3n.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/1041c9i.jpg

It's had it. You might find that if you chop it off and dig
it in that it'll sprout up again. I'd get rid of it, and
replace with something else that'll disguise the house
behing. Are we looking roughly east?

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

I can't even see one!

Looking roughly North

Some kind of bridge. Looks like one of those things for carrying
pipes across a canal running through a chemical works.

Old 19-05-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
The elder tree I discussed in an earlier thread/post (09/05/2006 @ 00:21)
has now been blown over by the wind.

It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

And the birds deposit the purple berry juice and seeds over everything
- making you unpopular with the neighbours.

P.S. Anyone recognise the landmark in the background?

Forth rail bridge perhaps?

It is deceased, gone and is no more. Treat the incident as a Golden
opportunity to redesign and replant what will be a large area.

Sensible advice.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 19-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

wrote:
It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

You can take them down yearly to about a foot high. That
works quite well, but as the OP ought IMO to screen off
the immediate view (and be screened) something else would
be better!
Old 19-05-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Chris Bacon wrote:
wrote:
It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

You can take them down yearly to about a foot high. That
works quite well, but as the OP ought IMO to screen off
the immediate view (and be screened) something else would
be better!

Which reminds me. I meant to ask when the subject last came
up...

Does elder flower/fruit on new growth (I assume it does), or
on last year's growth? (Or something completely different?)

James
Old 19-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On 19 May 2006 05:37:24 -0700, wrote:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"louisxiv" wrote in message
The elder tree I discussed in an earlier thread/post (09/05/2006 @ 00:21)
has now been blown over by the wind.

It may try to regrow from the bits of root that you can't dig out, but
I would not recommend a wild elderberry tree for a small suburban
garden. It is too much of a weed.

With a rank unpleasant smell. I cannot imagine why people want them
in a garden.

And the birds deposit the purple berry juice and seeds over everything
- making you unpopular with the neighbours.

They also seem to cause birds to have diarrhoea of a particularly
offensive and colourful type.