Old 24-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Registered User

Angry horse tail

My soil has a high clay content, The problem i have is Horsetail this grows everywhere i have tried digging it up but it always seems to come back. Does anybody know of a suitable weed killer that really does work on this plant.
I has started to take my garden over. Any help would be appleciated.
Old 24-05-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default horse tail

grimmjimm wrote:
My soil has a high clay content, The problem i have is Horsetail this
grows everywhere i have tried digging it up but it always seems to come
back. Does anybody know of a suitable weed killer that really does work
on this plant.
I has started to take my garden over. Any help would be appleciated.

It comes back because you've left bits of it in the ground. Make sure
you remove the whole plant out. The root is single and long, easy to
dig out really. I find it easier to dig it out after the rain. I don't
use weed killers so wouldn't know what to use to kill it off. But I've
heard there's nothing really. We're all plagued by the jurassic plant -
don't bother me much. I just take it out when I see it next to my crops.

Old 24-05-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"grimmjimm" wrote
My soil has a high clay content, The problem i have is Horsetail this
grows everywhere i have tried digging it up but it always seems to
come back. Does anybody know of a suitable weed killer that really
does work on this plant.
I has started to take my garden over. Any help would be appleciated.

Lots of previous threads on this subject (check out via Google archive),
but this stuff is, as you've found out, next to impossible to simply dig
up. It spreads far and wide a) by underground rhizomes with roots that
can go down several feet and will regrow from any little bit you break
off, and b) by shedding spores from dingy brown fruiting shoots that go
unnoticed in early spring.

IME Glyphosate works in the end if you repeat treat, and then improve
the soil and keep the area cultivated. I got rid of horsetail in one of
my borders this way.

Try bruising the weed first by crushing and whacking, and then apply the
glyphosate and leave to be drawn into the plants. You might have to do
this several times but the good news is if you persist you'll eventually
kill it. The bad news is that because of the spores, if there's any of
the stuff growing nearby on someone else's land, it's likely to be a
reoccurring battle.

--
Sue

Old 24-05-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

grimmjimm wrote:
My soil has a high clay content, The problem i have is Horsetail

this
grows everywhere i have tried digging it up but it always seems to

come
back. Does anybody know of a suitable weed killer that really does

work
on this plant.
I has started to take my garden over. Any help would be

appleciated.

It comes back because you've left bits of it in the ground. Make

sure
you remove the whole plant out. The root is single and long, easy to
dig out really. I find it easier to dig it out after the rain. I

don't
use weed killers so wouldn't know what to use to kill it off. But

I've
heard there's nothing really. ...........

:-))
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Roundup mixed with washing up detergent, spot sprayed on the plant
will cause the plant to die back but do not remove the apparently dead
stems until they are brittle and can be brushed away.
A second application on any regrowth may be needed, but,
in my experience (!!!)
it works.
Spores will only come from fertile coning heads. Picture of a fertile
cone at
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/plants.html#EquiSet
The cones should be nipped off before they open. Fortunately the
fertile cones are in the minority and are the first to appear in
spring. In my neck of the woods, their season is just about over now -
so you have a whole season to devote to the treatment - whatever you
choose, of the infertile green stems.

It is not a lost cause.
You will prevail. :-)

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Taz

Alternatively, you could try making use of it. Pick it, dry it then
stew it in boiling water. The resulting (smelly) liquor can be diluted
and used as a foliar spray which boosts your plants' immunity.

Bob Flowerdew advice that works but smells. And doesn't actually get
rid of it.

Old 25-05-2006, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

ned wrote:
:-))
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Roundup mixed with washing up detergent, spot sprayed on the plant
will cause the plant to die back but do not remove the apparently dead
stems until they are brittle and can be brushed away.
A second application on any regrowth may be needed, but,
in my experience (!!!)
it works.

Alright ... there's a cure - but roundup's bad in my books. So I'll let
you have the soap box ;o)

Old 25-05-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Martin wrote:
Amazing, I see lots of posts here saying Glyphosate works. It worked
for us.

Lots of posts? Hmmm.... And for how long you have been without it?
Using chemicals is cheating anyway )

Old 25-05-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Martin wrote:
And for how long you have been without it?
A year.

Pah! A year!! You'll see manic histerical laugh

Using chemicals is cheating anyway )

Franz turns in his grave

Sorry Franz. But who is Franz?

Old 25-05-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
And for how long you have been without it?
A year.

Pah! A year!! You'll see manic histerical laugh

Using chemicals is cheating anyway )

Franz turns in his grave

Sorry Franz. But who is Franz?

:-)
Oh, you must be one of the newer guys.
:-)

--
ned

Old 26-05-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

ned wrote:
:-)
Oh, you must be one of the newer guys.
:-)

Still not sure the fate of poor Franz. But if there's a joke somewhere
I'd like to hear it. Also, kinda cool to be referred to as 'one of the
guys', see those lumps on my chest Ned? They're breasts, yes, breasts.
Not big mind, but still, Ithat makes me a woman all the same )

Old 30-05-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

ned wrote:
:-)
Oh, you must be one of the newer guys.
:-)

Still not sure the fate of poor Franz. But if there's a joke somewhere
I'd like to hear it. Also, kinda cool to be referred to as 'one of the
guys', see those lumps on my chest Ned? They're breasts, yes, breasts.
Not big mind, but still, Ithat makes me a woman all the same )

I have a lumpy chest also, unfortunately.
I can get away with it as long as I avoid anything with a low cut neck.

Old 30-05-2006, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

ned wrote:
:-)
Oh, you must be one of the newer guys.
:-)

Still not sure the fate of poor Franz. But if there's a joke

somewhere
I'd like to hear it. Also, kinda cool to be referred to as 'one of

the
guys', see those lumps on my chest Ned? They're breasts, yes,

breasts.
Not big mind, but still, Ithat makes me a woman all the same )

Sorry LP
'Just picked up your response.
I'm just an old sentimentalist who hums old classics to himself.
Way back, probably before your time, :-)
Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin did a duet of 'Have you heard, it's in
the stars',
and that one line quote came to mind.
And, perish the thought, no true gentleman would ever allow his eyes
to drop below shoulder level.
:-))

--
ned

Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Thomas Fairweather

Mares tail is one of those weeds that you just can't dig out. The 'roots'
can go down as far as several meters deep (have heard of 10m or 30ft and can
sread along about the same distance. The only way is several applications of
glyphosate. It will keep coming and coming but if you are lucky in 5 or 6
years you may get rid if your neighbours get rid of it in their gardens.
You do need a wetting agent, eg fairy liquid (at your own risk) as it can
just run off and not be absorbed. Most roundup type weedkillers contain a
wetting agent.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff

"Thomas Fairweather" wrote in message
. . . . . The only way is several applications of
glyphosate.

But you need to bruise the surface of the tails during application - a
rubber glove under an old woollen one wetted with glyphosate. Stroke
each tail a couple of times and that should do the job but keep at it!
Some dynosaurs ate the stuff and it's still here!!

Geoff

Old 12-06-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Thomas Fairweather wrote:
Mares tail is one of those weeds that you just can't dig out. The 'roots'
can go down as far as several meters deep (have heard of 10m or 30ft and can
sread along about the same distance. The only way is several applications of
glyphosate. It will keep coming and coming but if you are lucky in 5 or 6
years you may get rid if your neighbours get rid of it in their gardens.
You do need a wetting agent, eg fairy liquid (at your own risk) as it can
just run off and not be absorbed. Most roundup type weedkillers contain a
wetting agent.

Roundup "Bi-active" seems to be *jolly* good stuff. It seems to contain
something that makes it cling.