Old 07-06-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

Default Did they get it wrong on BBC2

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , The Invalid
writes
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:16:17 GMT, "Ade" wrote:

It was written:
For those Hyacinth Bucket moments -
Featherstonehaugh - Fanshaw
Baraclough - Barlow

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Having lived in Barnoldswick in the 70's, I never heard it called
that.

Menzies (pronounced Peter)

Coming from Burnley, I have never heard Barnoldswick called 'Barlick'
either. Load of rubbish.

However, I do know that Wymondham in Norfolk is pronounced Windam, whilst
Wymondham in Lincs (?) is pronounced as it is written.

And Anthony Luxury Yacht is pronounced
Anthony Throat Wobbler Mangrove

--
June Hughes

Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
What is the secret of your longevity?

If I'd tell you, you would blush.

Classical Latin was last used
as a mother tongue some two millennia ago, so you clearly must be at
least that old.

I was brought up in a convent, saying prayers in Latin 3 times a day
and once a month going to mass given in Latin. I would have thought
that the Catholic Church was perhaps the closest to latin
pronounciation than the anglo saxon. Call me naive, but that is my
thought.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ade

It was written:

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Having lived in Barnoldswick in the 70's, I never heard it called
that.

Coming from Burnley, I have never heard Barnoldswick called 'Barlick'
either. Load of rubbish.

I've always heard it pronounced "Barlick". Do a Google on "how to pronounce
Barnoldswick".

Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
What is the secret of your longevity?

If I'd tell you, you would blush.

Classical Latin was last used
as a mother tongue some two millennia ago, so you clearly must be at
least that old.

I was brought up in a convent, saying prayers in Latin 3 times a day
and once a month going to mass given in Latin. I would have thought
that the Catholic Church was perhaps the closest to latin
pronounciation than the anglo saxon. Call me naive, but that is my
thought.

You have my deepest sympathies as I too was institutionalised at an early
age in a School that did and spoke Latin.
All I remember is:-
Caesar ad sum jam forte Brutus adarat.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
You have my deepest sympathies as I too was institutionalised at an early
age in a School that did and spoke Latin.
All I remember is:-
Caesar ad sum jam forte Brutus adarat.

It is amazing that you've remembered a word in Latin that doesn't
exist, but not only that, you've managed to create one too!! ))

My favourite was nascentes morimur. At 15 years old I wrote it
everywhere - could have almost tatooed it on my forehead! The youth we
were then .... deep sigh

Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
You have my deepest sympathies as I too was institutionalised at an early
age in a School that did and spoke Latin.
All I remember is:-
Caesar ad sum jam forte Brutus adarat.

It is amazing that you've remembered a word in Latin that doesn't
exist, but not only that, you've managed to create one too!! ))

My favourite was nascentes morimur. At 15 years old I wrote it
everywhere - could have almost tatooed it on my forehead! The youth we
were then .... deep sigh

I heard on the grape vine that you had an "annus horribilis" but your bum is
your concern:-)

Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:

| Classical Latin was last used
| as a mother tongue some two millennia ago, so you clearly must be at
| least that old.
|
| I was brought up in a convent, saying prayers in Latin 3 times a day
| and once a month going to mass given in Latin. I would have thought
| that the Catholic Church was perhaps the closest to latin
| pronounciation than the anglo saxon. Call me naive, but that is my
| thought.

Once a MONTH? What a heathen bunch! I was inflicted with that far
more often, in an Anglican school.

I was taught several different Latin pronounciations, because the
different users of it have drifted over the years. I am pretty
sure that there are a lot of different ones in use in the Eastern
church, which has generally preserved the original traditions rather
more closely than the Western (including, of course, the bishopric
of Rome).

Since you ask, you are naive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Once a MONTH? What a heathen bunch! I was inflicted with that far
more often, in an Anglican school.

Once a month a Latin mass - but mass every Fridays at school and off
course every Sundays.

The latin mass was my favourite I must say. The boredom was such that
we had devised with my friends a game of names. On the wall of the
chuch (cathedral actually) were we stood was hundred of names in great
columns of men who had fought and died during the two wars. Our game
was to sign with our fingers a number meaning a column, and another
number meaning a name. Endless fun with the most funny names off course
whilst yelling "misere mei, Deus, secundum magnam misericordiam tuam
....".

I was taught several different Latin pronounciations, because the
different users of it have drifted over the years.

I don't understand. Who has drifted? Rome?

I am pretty
sure that there are a lot of different ones in use in the Eastern
church, which has generally preserved the original traditions rather
more closely than the Western (including, of course, the bishopric
of Rome).

I have sang many times in greek orthodox churches and we sang the same
songs with the same pronounciation. The only pronounciation of latin
that I have experienced is by English people who do not have as the
source of their words, the same as the latin roots in other langages.
It amuses me therefore to hear someone saying " Mayseree mayee,
Deeyous, seecondom maygnam mayseeraycordiam tchooam ..." )

Since you ask, you are naive.

I am impressed that you have deducted this from two posts on the
subject. But then again I've given you the idea.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
writes

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nick Maclaren wrote:
What is the secret of your longevity?

If I'd tell you, you would blush.

Classical Latin was last used
as a mother tongue some two millennia ago, so you clearly must be at
least that old.

I was brought up in a convent, saying prayers in Latin 3 times a day
and once a month going to mass given in Latin. I would have thought
that the Catholic Church was perhaps the closest to latin
pronounciation than the anglo saxon. Call me naive, but that is my
thought.

You have my deepest sympathies as I too was institutionalised at an early
age in a School that did and spoke Latin.
All I remember is:-
Caesar ad sum jam forte Brutus adarat.

Ah! Yes. Ceasar sicin omnibus, Brutus initsat.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Ade
writes
It was written:

Or how about Barnoldswick, near Pendle, pronounced "Barlick". And
Cholmondeley.

Having lived in Barnoldswick in the 70's, I never heard it called
that.

Coming from Burnley, I have never heard Barnoldswick called 'Barlick'
either. Load of rubbish.

I've always heard it pronounced "Barlick". Do a Google on "how to pronounce
Barnoldswick".

That doesn't mean to say it is right.
--
June Hughes

Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

I was brought up in a convent, saying prayers in Latin 3 times a day
and once a month going to mass given in Latin. I would have thought
that the Catholic Church was perhaps the closest to latin
pronounciation than the anglo saxon. Call me naive, but that is my
thought.

You have my deepest sympathies as I too was institutionalised at an early
age in a School that did and spoke Latin.
All I remember is:-
Caesar ad sum jam forte Brutus adarat.

me too :-(

Its mostly true what they say about convent school girls !
Old 07-06-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
Ah! Yes. Ceasar sicin omnibus, Brutus initsat.

Inops Brutus.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

me too :-(

Its mostly true what they say about convent school girls !

Tsk! You speak for yourself. was a convent school girl 'til I was 13.
;-)

LOL :-)))
Old 08-06-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , June Hughes
writes
However, I do know that Wymondham in Norfolk is pronounced Windam,
whilst Wymondham in Lincs (?) is pronounced as it is written.

It's actually pronounced Windim not ....dam! What about Great Hautbois
near Norwich - Great Hobby!!
--
Judith Lea