Old 10-07-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default Filling in a garden pond

Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message

... one death is too many.

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Mary

No, if you put a child in a car, put then put it on the back seat in a car
seat.

If you have a pond, fence, cover or fill in.

pk

Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"p.k." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message

... one death is too many.

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Mary

No, if you put a child in a car, put then put it on the back seat in a car

That doesn't guarantee to protect the child.

It might die.

One death is too many (I quote)

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message
As someone who fetched the limp body of a 3 year old out, of a neighbour's
pond, where she should not have been, but had crawled through the fence,
on
Maunday Thursday Afternoon of 1963, and brought her round, thanks to
receiving Life Saving Instructions some 5 years earlier, I couldn't agree
more.

Mike

I'm sure you know about hard cases making bad laws.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message

... one death is too many.

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Mary

No, if you put a child in a car, put then put it on the back seat in
a car

That doesn't guarantee to protect the child.

It might die.

One death is too many (I quote)

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

In that case, never have a child in the first place!

you are in a hole and still digging. Stop!

pk

Old 10-07-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"p.k." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message

... one death is too many.

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

Mary

No, if you put a child in a car, put then put it on the back seat in
a car

That doesn't guarantee to protect the child.

It might die.

One death is too many (I quote)

So never, ever, put a child in a car.

In that case, never have a child in the first place!

That figures. A life means a death.

you are in a hole and still digging. Stop!

Oh no I'm not. I'm a pragmatist.

pk

Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/7/06 20:04, in article , "p.k."
wrote:

p.k. wrote:

80 deaths a year of children under 5 in garden ponds & pools is 15%
of ALL deaths of children under 5
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...31/DH2No31.pdf

ignore the calculation here, it is gibbersish!

The rest is valid quotes from official sites.

Please may I suggest that we get back onto an even keel here? Thousands and
thousands of children have grown up round ponds, rivers, harbours,
shorelines or on boats etc. What is needed is for their adults to be
sensible about this.
Eliminating every garden pond in Britain is not going about this the right
way.
So. While children are small and can slip out through doors un-noticed,
fence the pond with horizontal palings 4' high and no more than 3" apart.
Padlock any access gate and teach children respect for........water,
stinging nettles, barbed wire, plants, large animals that kick or bite and
ditto small ones that scratch or bite and above all, to do what they're
told! Our grand daughter has fallen into the fish pond once and been hauled
out and down the last 5 stairs of her home and broken her arm! Shall we all
buy bungalows?
Take sensible precautions, aware that small children move faster than
quicksilver. And to be frank and probably far more importantly, make sure
that your children cannot run, unsupervised, onto a road passing your house.
How many people don't have that and how many do have ponds?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-07-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Sacha" wrote in message

Please may I suggest that we get back onto an even keel here?

Yes, I'm sorry that I've over-reacted but I do feel strongly about it.

[...]

Well said.

Mary

Old 10-07-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Sacha" wrote in message

My reply wasn't directed just at you and I'm sorry if it appeared that
way.

No, but I wanted to say it.

Mary

Old 10-07-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/7/06 22:52, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Please may I suggest that we get back onto an even keel here?

Yes, I'm sorry that I've over-reacted but I do feel strongly about it.

My reply wasn't directed just at you and I'm sorry if it appeared that way.
It was intended for all of us discussing this subject - one that comes up
many times on urg, as we all know. Your post just happened to be the last
and most pertinent that I read.
snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

So. While children are small and can slip out through doors un-noticed,
fence the pond with horizontal palings 4' high and no more than 3" apart.

What a wonderful climbing frame.

and when they get to the top they scramble over and into the pond :-(((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 02:19:36 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote
(in article ):

Sacha said:
How many people don't have that and how many do have ponds?

I am temporarily without a pond, due to the realignment of
my garden path.....but I _have_ successfully brought up five
children without mishap, and of my fourteen grandchildren,
not a single one of them has ever taken a dip in the pond.

Perhaps I pointed out to them how dangerous it could be, in
a way that they understood? Perhaps I made sure that they
were never out of my sight when they were at a vulnerable age?

And one thing no-one seems to have suggested in this thread is the importance
of teaching children to swim from a *very* young age. Of course tiny tots
should be supervised at all times, but they should anyway - not just because
of a pond. A child that can swim will be far safer in any pond situation
than one that can't, and the educational advantage of a pond is huge. We
have had adults staying here who have *never* seen frog spawn before in the
wild - only on television! I find that very sad. Small children are
fascinated by ponds and will learn a lot from them (especially wildlife
ones).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

Oh no I'm not. I'm a pragmatist.

Me too, Mary! Can I help you with this hole you are digging?

I presume it's for another pond? ;-)

Ours really does need a good clear out but the ToDo list is so long ... :-(

Mind you - who knows what decaying remains we might find in there ... or
whose .... :-)

Mary

--
AnneJ
If you don't like it 'Foscar Oxtrot'!

Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Sacha said:
How many people don't have that and how many do have ponds?

I am temporarily without a pond, due to the realignment of
my garden path.....but I _have_ successfully brought up five
children without mishap, and of my fourteen grandchildren,

Rank puller!

From five we only have ten.

Mind you, it's enough. The novelty does wear off, we've found, in twenty one
years.

Mary

Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

al.net...

Sacha said:
[...]

I am with you Sally, but it is hard being a parent and getting the balance
right, some people find getting rid of one more thing to "worry about"
comforting, while I think letting children make supervised mistakes is a
good thing! I am always trying to persuade parents of young children that
come round our garden that having a pond would be fine, but one mum pointed
out that whilst she did not mind teaching her children to be careful etc she
did find it stressful if she had a whole bunch of other peoples children to
keep tabs on, as she said its not that they could drown as she wouldn't
leave them but it was hard to explain why someone else's child is cold and
wet when you hand them back!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Filling in a garden pond OT

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Sacha said:
How many people don't have that and how many do have ponds?

I am temporarily without a pond, due to the realignment of
my garden path.....but I _have_ successfully brought up five
children without mishap, and of my fourteen grandchildren,

Rank puller!

From five we only have ten.

Mind you, it's enough. The novelty does wear off, we've found, in twenty one
years.

Humph. I don't have any and at this rate it doesn't look likely that I
will Never mind, at least I had the youngest sprog late in life!
--
June Hughes

pond filling in! D Kat Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2008 02:58 AM
filling a pond Cheryl Ponds 8 08-06-2006 06:55 AM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP Ponds (alternative) 5 28-08-2005 05:05 PM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP United Kingdom 4 28-08-2005 05:05 PM
Filling in pond Pia United Kingdom 13 08-01-2003 08:23 PM