Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

Default Filling in a garden pond OT

"June Hughes" wrote in message

I am temporarily without a pond, due to the realignment of
my garden path.....but I _have_ successfully brought up five
children without mishap, and of my fourteen grandchildren,

Rank puller!

From five we only have ten.

Mind you, it's enough. The novelty does wear off, we've found, in twenty
one
years.

Humph. I don't have any and at this rate it doesn't look likely that I
will Never mind, at least I had the youngest sprog late in life!

There are compensations. You don't have to worry about them being drowned
:-)

Mary
--
June Hughes

Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

There are compensations. You don't have to worry about them being drowned
:-)

Mary

unless someone has built a climbing frame round a pond with horizontal
palings :-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

Default Filling in a garden pond

In article , Sacha
writes
Please may I suggest that we get back onto an even keel here? Thousands and
thousands of children have grown up round ponds, rivers, harbours,
shorelines or on boats etc. What is needed is for their adults to be
sensible about this.

My thoughts exactly, we have a 17 month old grandson and he can move
like quicksilver, he can reach door handles and often opens doors. With
this in mind, we have had to take precautions with our swimming pool as
he will be spending 2 weeks with us, without mummy, in the Summer,
Edward bought a swimming pool alarm in France where it is now obligatory
to either fence off a pool or use one of these things. If the surface
of the water is disturbed by a weight of more than one or two kilos,
then sonic alarms go off all over the place. They are not cheap, about
£300 but what price our grandson's life.
--
Judith Lea
Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 11/7/06 12:01, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

[...]

Brilliant idea, too. I've never heard of these but they sound excellent.
And someone has just emailed me to ask if I have yet spotted my own
'deliberate mistake' in one of my posts in this thread. Sorry, folks -
*vertical* palings round a pond, NOT horizontal. I keep doing that! One day
I'll do it literally and we'll have plants growing in some strange
directions!
Though I must say that what-used-to-be the nursery in this house has one
horizontal bar only across the window - just the right height for a small
person to climb onto and over!
For swimming pools, I've seen covers that run in grooves along the pool and
are strong enough for a man to stand on but again, I think we're talking
very high costs. Your alarm sounds a better bet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Judith Lea
writes
[...]

Hi Judith

What a good idea. I shall investigate that one.

BTW was at the Royal Norfolk Show last Thurs. Lovely but hot. Thought
about you.
--
June Hughes

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes

For swimming pools, I've seen covers that run in grooves along the pool and
are strong enough for a man to stand on but again, I think we're talking
very high costs. Your alarm sounds a better bet.

Yes there are such covers but these are for covering the pool over
winter or at night - they are quite unwieldy and not something to "pop"
over to keep it safe.

Alarms or fencing with a locked gate are obligatory in France; unlike a
pond, a small child would be unable to stand up. My late sister had an
enormous, beautiful pond and she had a grid fitted just under the
waterline so that the twins couldn't push each other into it!

--
Judith Lea
Old 11-07-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , June Hughes
writes

What a good idea. I shall investigate that one.

BTW was at the Royal Norfolk Show last Thurs. Lovely but hot. Thought
about you.

I had tickets for both days but unfortunately I was required at work

--
Judith Lea
Old 11-07-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Judith Lea
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes

What a good idea. I shall investigate that one.

BTW was at the Royal Norfolk Show last Thurs. Lovely but hot. Thought
about you.

I had tickets for both days but unfortunately I was required at work

I thought that may have been the case. I took three days off - joy!
Pampered by m-in-l.
--
June Hughes
Old 11-07-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

And someone has just emailed me to ask if I have yet spotted my own
'deliberate mistake' in one of my posts in this thread. Sorry, folks -
*vertical* palings round a pond, NOT horizontal. I keep doing that! --
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

:-)))

Mike (who DIDN'T come down in the last shower of rain)

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 Sacha wrote:

We have inherited a pond in the house we have bought but have decided to
fill it in.

We do like the pond but our garden is tiny and it takes up half the space.
Plus we have begun to think long term. Ie starting a family and feel that
it is just easier/safer to fill it in a gain a bigger garden aswell.

I was wondering what would be the best way to fill to pond.. we will be
digging up lots of concrete slab, will these be ok?

plus any ideas of the best way to rehome the fishes? we dont know anyone
else with a pond!

Please, please don't fill it in! Fence it with vertical or netting fencing
or look at putting in one of those just-below-the-surface metal grilles but
do keep it. Children have grown up beside rivers, seaside, harbours, lakes
and ponds for centuries. Take reasonable precautions but keep it!

Hmmm.. I think I would rather fill it in - in fact I did this in one
house/garden I occupied - because I know of a family where their
youngest, a toddler, fell in to their pond and nearly drowned. He didn't
drown but suffered brain damage and is now severely physically
handicapped.

Yes, I know that someone should have been watching him, but can every
parent here say that they watch their toddlers 100% of the time. It can,
and did, happen by simply going into the house to fetch something.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

pond filling in! D Kat Ponds (moderated) 6 13-07-2008 02:58 AM
filling a pond Cheryl Ponds 8 08-06-2006 06:55 AM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP Ponds (alternative) 5 28-08-2005 05:05 PM
Filling in the Garden Pond JP United Kingdom 4 28-08-2005 05:05 PM
Filling in pond Pia United Kingdom 13 08-01-2003 08:23 PM