Old 08-07-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson

Default Elderflower time again

[sorry for late f-up - but have been on holiday]

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)

Sacha, or anyone else, care to explain this. AFAIK preserving sugar has
pectin added, which I thought would be counter productive in this recipe?
And Castor sugar is, AFAIK, simple ordinary sugar more finely
ground/crystallised - which of course makes it dissolve quicker, but once
disovled is identical to to "bog standard" sugar.

Have I nmissed something?
Jim
Old 08-07-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p. pleater

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)

Sacha, or anyone else, care to explain this. AFAIK preserving sugar
has
pectin added, which I thought would be counter productive in this
recipe?
And Castor sugar is, AFAIK, simple ordinary sugar more finely
ground/crystallised - which of course makes it dissolve quicker, but
once
disovled is identical to to "bog standard" sugar.

Have I nmissed something?
Jim

We always use ordinary sugar and have had no complaints regarding
quality.

Although its now too late in most areas, for future interest here's a
Jamie Oliver recipe for Elderflower Cordial which we have used for the
past 3 seasons; its smashing :-

It makes 4 pints (2.27 litres) a standard milk bottle full.

Approx 25 - 30 Elderflower Heads in full open bloom. (discard any that
smell of cat pee).
31/2 lbs (1.60 kg).............. Sugar, caster or ordinary.
3pt (1.70 litres)...........Boiled water, cooled to tepid or
hand-hot.
2oz (50 - 55 gr)...........Tartaric Acid.
2 Lemons, (as big and juicy
as possible) slice thinly, save the juice.

Method:
With a fork, strip off the florets, discard the stems.

Put all ingredients in a large bowl, stir to melt the sugar, cover, then
periodically stir for a couple of days.
Then strain and bottle.

It's ready to drink immediately but will keep for several months in a
freezer or, like we do, in the fridge for about 4 - 5 weeks.
Dilute to taste with water or mineral water.

Enjoy