Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Elderflower time again

"Cat(h)" writes

Addmilk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt honey and bear,

I don't think I have a bowl big enough!! ;-)
--
Kay
Old 11-06-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

Default Elderflower time again..... Fritters to you

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have
this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

snip recipie

Elderflower fritters

An early summer delicacy and very easy to make.

Ingredients
200g Plain Flour

250ml (half pint) milk
medium sized egg
Elderflower Heads - 2-3 per person - with enough of a stalk to hold onto
50g sugar
Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients apart from the elderflower

Heat some oil in a pan or deep fat fryer, Dip flower head in batter and fry
until golden brown

A pinch of cinnamon can be added to the batter to add extra flavour and the
fritters can be rolled in sugar although this is not always needed if there
is sugar in the batter

Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"K" wrote in message
"Cat(h)" writes

Addmilk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt honey and bear,

I don't think I have a bowl big enough!! ;-)
Kay

Anyone got a recipe for elderflower cordial?
A friend wants to try to make some.......
Jenny

Old 11-06-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote
, "JennyC" wrote:
Anyone got a recipe for elderflower cordial?
A friend wants to try to make some.......
Jenny

That's what I gave when I started this thread!
Sacha

Oops - came in halfway :~)
Thanks Jenny

Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

can you use black elder or does it have to be green? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/6/06 21:32, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

can you use black elder or does it have to be green? TIA

No idea, I'm afraid. I've only ever used the ordinary hedgerow type and so
do the friends of mine who make the cordial.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-06-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 12/6/06 21:32, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

can you use black elder or does it have to be green? TIA

No idea, I'm afraid. I've only ever used the ordinary hedgerow type and so
do the friends of mine who make the cordial.

Not knowing the context of this, I'm confused?

What is black elder, and what is green elder?

The common hedgerow elder is Sambucus nigra, which to my simple mind
would be black elder.
--
Kay
Old 14-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha Hubbard
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

90 heads of Elder flower, picked at mid-day

6 sliced lemons

9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)

7.5 oz. Citric or Tartaric acid

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or clean plastic bucket. Add 7.5
pints boiling water.

Stir night and day for 5 days. Strain, squeezing the lemons. Put into
plastic bottles and deep freeze. Take out only when wanted, and refrigerate
as it wonıt keep out of the freezer for more than 5 to 7 days. Dilute with
water to taste. This makes a very refreshing drink in hot weather. Undiluted,
itıs also good on gooseberries or over fruit salad.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
Old 14-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from mrs-baggins contains these words:

I hate to admit this but what i have a
problem with is getting the actual elderflowers!!! I had to download a
photo so I know what they look like! I havent seen any locally so have
been asking a few people who know their nature and they cant recall
seeing any either. So all i have to do now is find a tree. By the time
I have found one no doubt the flowers wil be gone!

It would be hard to find a mature native elder that doesn't flower
and fruit. They flower and fruit so prodigiously that birds spread the
seed everywhere, and it can germinate in the merest cracked bit of
concrete. So elder are very common in urban areas on waste ground, edges
of playing fields, back lanes and railway embankments, riverside
walkways etc. In rural areas thay are a common plant of hedgerows and
woodland edges, lanes etc. So I'm sure they are all around you and you
have often seen them covered in creamy lacy flowers in early summer;
(just, not recognised them for what they are). They are a very beautiful
plant when in flower. Ask friends and neighbours to point one out to
you.They are just opening flowers here atm.

How do you make bath bombs btw?

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry