Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cokey

Default Help please - sprouts in lawn - should I remove?

Please excuse my terminlogy, Im new to gardening.

I have a small hedge type thing that borders one side of my front lawn.
It appears that it has now seeded the lawn as little sprouts have come
up through the grass near to the hedge.

image here (190k) - hedge on right, sprouts all over.
http://www.cokey.co.uk/house/front_lawn.jpg

I usually just mow over these. Should I actually be removing them,
pulling or digging?

Im not too fussed about the lawn as although it looks relatively nice,
it's not in tip-top condition, so if mowing over them is ok then I will
continue. I dont however want them spreading everywhere!

any advice greatly appreciated
Marc.c

Old 10-06-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

as long as you mow regularly (say once a week) I'd carry on. I have much the
same attitude to our lawn (i.e. I will tolerate anything green in it (except
dandelions )) and I just mow it once a week. So far this tactic has
worked. It is AFAIK the same as that used at Chatsworth and their lawns look
fine and have to stand up to much abuse from the public.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

"H Ryder" wrote:

(i.e. I will tolerate anything green in it (except
dandelions

Dandelion anti-defamation league on line one!

I go further, belonging to the "as long as it's pretty much green" school.
Of course, I'm in a rural area, and most of the yard isn't visible from the
street. And my neighbors are mostly not of the putting green school.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cokey

Great, thanks guys. Wasnt looking forward to pulling/digging them all
out. As you have both said, as long as the lawns green, Im happy.
Marc.c