Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new idea for barrier to stop slugs

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 1 Jun, 08:32, T i m wrote:
Maybe I could solder a single hoop of wire to the coil top / bottom to
finish it off?

All sounds so so complicated. I've used copper rings for years now.
Every year I've bought some

Expensive though - Spouse makes me them from reclaimed copper. why are you
not surprised? :-)

and I've now got enough to protect my
young seedlings and then move them about for the new one as I go
along. I've used copper strips with sticky back on pots and trough and
even on canes. It really works.

Oh it works!

A friend has bought herself some
copper hand tools (for the magnetism it gives to the soil

???

Copper is not magnetic!

... . However, if
your plant hangs out of the loop, you'll provide a bridge for slugs
and snails,

Yes, they're intelligent.

Mary

Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Jun, 17:46, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust.

Mine have all turned a dull brown, much like rust :-) But I don't mind,
except that they're more difficult to see. There's no way I'm going to
polish them though.

Same here - some of my rings are green and as you said I can't see
them on the ground any more. It was expensive at first, but now I have
probably around 30 of different shapes. They last a life time.

someone with a copper knob, another with a green ring. Very worrying.

rob

Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jun, 11:07, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Expensive though - Spouse makes me them from reclaimed copper. why are you
not surprised? :-)

You ... you, you are lucky and that's all I can say!

Oh it works!

Innit.

Copper is not magnetic!

Off course you're right. Sorry - I meant for it's non magnetism, like
iron or steel would, and being conductive it penatrate the soil more
easily than iron would. Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust. For the
slug thing it leaves residues apparently - thought I'm not too
convinced on this.

And not surprised your spouse loves it so much g

Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 12 Jun, 11:07, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Expensive though - Spouse makes me them from reclaimed copper. why are
you
not surprised? :-)

You ... you, you are lucky and that's all I can say!

Oh it works!

Innit.

Copper is not magnetic!

Off course you're right. Sorry - I meant for it's non magnetism, like
iron or steel would, and being conductive it penatrate the soil more
easily than iron would.

Hmm ...

Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust.

Mine have all turned a dull brown, much like rust :-) But I don't mind,
except that they're more difficult to see. There's no way I'm going to
polish them though.

For the
slug thing it leaves residues apparently - thought I'm not too
convinced on this.

Nor am I, I'm happy to use the slug rings and slug taps because they work.

And not surprised your spouse loves it so much g

Although when he was a metallurgist he worked with ferrous metals, never
copper. One of our friends (a fellow student in the evening class where we
met) worked at Yorkshire Copper Works. He was known as Copper Nob but
because he had red hair ... sorry, I'm wandering ...

Mary

Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Jun, 17:46, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust.

Mine have all turned a dull brown, much like rust :-) But I don't mind,
except that they're more difficult to see. There's no way I'm going to
polish them though.

Same here - some of my rings are green and as you said I can't see
them on the ground any more. It was expensive at first, but now I have
probably around 30 of different shapes. They last a life time.

And not surprised your spouse loves it so much g

Although when he was a metallurgist he worked with ferrous metals, never
copper. One of our friends (a fellow student in the evening class where we
met) worked at Yorkshire Copper Works. He was known as Copper Nob but
because he had red hair ... sorry, I'm wandering ...

Wander Mary, wander as much as you want. I think another meet is in
order to wander at our hearts content. Anything else you've got lying
about for the garden I could use? )

Old 13-06-2007, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Jun, 17:46, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Lighter too. Prettier. Doesn't rust.
Mine have all turned a dull brown, much like rust :-) But I don't mind,
except that they're more difficult to see. There's no way I'm going to
polish them though.

Same here - some of my rings are green and as you said I can't see
them on the ground any more. It was expensive at first, but now I have
probably around 30 of different shapes. They last a life time.

someone with a copper knob, another with a green ring. Very worrying.

rob

You need to learn to read.