Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Easynews

Default Greenhouse control of aphids

Lots of people seem to use parasitic flies to keep greenhouse aphids under
control these days- has anyone experience of using these, and how effective
were they?
Paul D

Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/6/06 19:23, in article ,
"Easynews" wrote:

Lots of people seem to use parasitic flies to keep greenhouse aphids under
control these days- has anyone experience of using these, and how effective
were they?

We use them here all the time and it's extremely efficacious. They arrive
in the post regularly and we either hang the little paper envelopes on
various plants in the different glasshouses or take the tops off their
little plastic bottles and let them find their own way out. We use
nematodes, also. My husband has been working in this way since back in
the 50s/early 60s. If you do a Google search you'll find several suppliers
for the amateur gardener but it is *very* important that you don't lose your
nerve and introduce chemical sprays again.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-06-2006, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Not tried them , but am experimenting with two trials this year.
First is the use of two spiderrs who have webs stretching across the
greenhouse, and catch loads of flies,(including me)
The other is the use of citronella candles in the form of tea lights.
Touch wood, no aphids so far, except those caught up in webs.
regards
Cineman

Old 13-06-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/6/06 12:06, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 12/6/06 19:23, in article ,
"Easynews" wrote:

Lots of people seem to use parasitic flies to keep greenhouse aphids under
control these days- has anyone experience of using these, and how effective
were they?

We use them here all the time and it's extremely efficacious. They arrive
in the post regularly and we either hang the little paper envelopes on
various plants in the different glasshouses or take the tops off their
little plastic bottles and let them find their own way out. We use
nematodes, also. My husband has been working in this way since back in
the 50s/early 60s. If you do a Google search you'll find several suppliers
for the amateur gardener but it is *very* important that you don't lose your
nerve and introduce chemical sprays again.

Have you had to treat against mealy bug? I haven't found the mealy bug
predator to be very effective, which is a nuisance because the red
spider predator is about the only way to get rid of red spider.

Ray says Cryptolaemus works but isn't *quite* as good as some of the other
predators he uses. However, he says also that the greenhouse needs to be
warm when it's introduced and that the best time to do that is in the
evening.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-06-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha writes
On 13/6/06 12:06, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 12/6/06 19:23, in article ,
"Easynews" wrote:

[...]

If that's the raggedy white thing, I didn't do very well with it when I
tried last year. Maybe I should give another try. Difficult - if it's
the odd mealy bug, a cocktail stick is adequate, but when it gets too
bad for that, I think it's a bit too much for the predator to get to
grips with too.

--
Kay