Old 17-06-2006, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Feeding the birds

Apropos some of the comments on here recently about feeding birds, my
daughter brought back a kilo of mealworms the other day (cost £17) and they
were distributed in various places around the garden and nursery. This was
about 5pm on Wednesday. By 7am on Thursday there wasn't one to be seen
anywhere! The birds went mad for them, especially the blackbirds who were
seen racing around with large, comical, wriggling moustaches.
We tried putting them into shallow containers, like plates or tinfoil
dishes, but the birds really didn't like perching on those so in the end we
threw them onto the ground and that was obviously a very popular move.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-06-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sacha wrote:
Apropos some of the comments on here recently about feeding birds, my
daughter brought back a kilo of mealworms the other day (cost £17)
and they were distributed in various places around the garden and
nursery. This was about 5pm on Wednesday. By 7am on Thursday there
wasn't one to be seen anywhere! The birds went mad for them,
especially the blackbirds who were seen racing around with large,
comical, wriggling moustaches.
We tried putting them into shallow containers, like plates or tinfoil
dishes, but the birds really didn't like perching on those so in the
end we threw them onto the ground and that was obviously a very
popular move.

Maggots are 2.40 a pint from any tackle shop, the birds love these too,
especially robins, but get white ones, the red / yellow / green / blue ones
have food colourings in them, although they don't seem to harm fish.