Old 19-12-2010, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding birds

We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the regular,
now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches, Jackdaws, Starlings,
Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the feeders, but it is the Thrush I
would like to encourage a bit more. The LTT and the Sparrows come right up
to the door to within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 19-12-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the regular,
now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches, Jackdaws,
Starlings, Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the feeders, but it is the
Thrush I would like to encourage a bit more. The LTT and the Sparrows come
right up to the door to within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Ooooooopppps

Forgot to list the Blue Tit who has just flown into the Veranda Blue Tit Box
for the night ;-)) and the Robin who is really in his element with the snow
for the benefit of Christmas Cards ;-))

Old 19-12-2010, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:49:43 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the regular,
now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches, Jackdaws, Starlings,
Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the feeders, but it is the Thrush I
would like to encourage a bit more. The LTT and the Sparrows come right up
to the door to within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Mike

Both song and mistle thrushes go for worms. The mistle thrush seems to
like slugs whilst the song thrush likes snails. Fine in the summer but
at this time of year they'll be going for berries and fruit. You could
grow things like crab apple trees (the thrushes and blackbirds have
spent the last few weeks stripping mine bare), berrying types of
berberis, pyracantha and cotoneaster (they seem to go for cotoneasters
only after they've stripped everything else). Try putting some chopped
apples or pears on your bird table (or better still hang them from a
tree). Raisins, sultanas and currants are also welcomed but beware -
raisins contain a toxin that can cause kidney failure in cats so DON'T
put raisins out for birds if there's any chance a cat could get at
them.

Old 19-12-2010, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for that. One lot of helpful advice :-))

With regards your comment on that vermin cats, the regulars know my feelings
on those things :-((
Taste like Rabbit when skinned and cooked.

Old 19-12-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

We have the occasional Thrush come into the garden along with the
regular, now almost tame, Long Tail Tit, Sparrows, Chaffinches,
Jackdaws, Starlings, Pigeons etc etc etc all going mad on the
feeders, but it is the Thrush I would like to encourage a bit
more. The LTT and the Sparrows come right up to the door to
within 4 feet of where I am sitting.

How do I encourage the Thrush?

Mike

Can't help encouraging you with a Thrush but we did meet and old
chap in our local park who regularly feeds Robins and during the
evening he fed a couple of foxes cat food.

Under his guidance we tried one day to feed the same Robins and
were totally amazed by their tameness, they did eat out of our
hands and on several occasions, they took it in turns when landing
on my hand each taking several pieces of grated cheese then flew
off back to the nest.

Robins are particularly tame, we fed these Robins during the
spring season with Blue Tits looking on who didn't have the nerve
to land on our hand but you could see them getting frustrated by
the Robins feasting on cheese.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

Old 19-12-2010, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
How do I encourage the Thrush?

Sliced apple? Any old berries?

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 19-12-2010, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In message
"'Mike'" wrote:

[...]

Stephen, 'in general', I prefer animals and birds to humans ;-))

When I was working I had a job to do in a house where there was a dog. A
barking dog which was to all intense their 'guard dog'. I wasn't in that
house long before the dog was on it's back having it's tum tickled. The
owners were not happy and had never seen it before ;-{{

Old 19-12-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Many thanks for that. One lot of helpful advice :-))

With regards your comment on that vermin cats, the regulars know my
feelings on those things :-((
Taste like Rabbit when skinned and cooked.

I am with you on that - Mike - vermin indeed.

Couldn't knowingly eat one though (:-)

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-12-2010, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Many thanks for that. One lot of helpful advice :-))

With regards your comment on that vermin cats, the regulars know my
feelings on those things :-((
Taste like Rabbit when skinned and cooked.

I am with you on that - Mike - vermin indeed.

Couldn't knowingly eat one though (:-)

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

""Couldn't knowingly eat one though ""

You would if you were under the circumstances of the man who told me. He was
in occupied Holland, occupied by those who felt that 'certain people should
not be allowed to breed or vote' and did in fact at the vermin. (The only
good use as far as I can see)

Do you agree that 'certain people should not be allowed to breed or vote'?

Old 19-12-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ooooppss :-((

""and did in fact at the vermin. ""

try 'eat' ;-))

I do wish I was perfect as other feel they are and NEVER make mistakes ;-)

Old 19-12-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

You would if you were under the circumstances of the man who told me. He
was in occupied Holland, occupied by those who felt that 'certain people
should not be allowed to breed or vote' and did in fact eat the vermin.
(The only good use as far as I can see)

Do you agree that 'certain people should not be allowed to breed or
vote'? Has been said by one poster here :-((((((((((

No !

I am certainly against the daft idea that the length of a prison sentence
should be a determining factor on the voting scenario. (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-12-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

You would if you were under the circumstances of the man who told me. He
was in occupied Holland, occupied by those who felt that 'certain people
should not be allowed to breed or vote' and did in fact eat the vermin.
(The only good use as far as I can see)

Do you agree that 'certain people should not be allowed to breed or
vote'? Has been said by one poster here :-((((((((((

No !

I am certainly against the daft idea that the length of a prison sentence
should be a determining factor on the voting scenario. (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Pete !!!

Mind what you say, certain people advocate the Nazi regime :-(((

It's been said here, on this newsgroup "Certain people should not be allowed
to breed or vote"

Check the archives

Watch follow up to this posting. ... :-(

Old 20-12-2010, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

mark duchamp wrote:
Vultures, contrary to belief, do not have a great sense of smell. A
keen eyesight is what drives them to food, if what I read about it is
correct. Crows and other small scavengers may tip them off...

....Because it is in their interest to have the vultures open up the tough
hide!

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Feeding birds Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 13-06-2008 04:58 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM