Old 29-06-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

Default Meeces

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:10:40 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

if you catch them and release them somewhere else, they will either die
a very painful death

Why?

or invade someone elses house, do you really want to give someone else
that problem?

Our release point is over a mile from the nearest habitation and is a
suitable mouse habitat. I'd also rather give the local predators a chance
of a meal than just kill in cold blood.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 29-06-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:10:40 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

if you catch them and release them somewhere else, they will either die
a very painful death

Why?

Because they will not have access to the sort of food they are used to, so
they will starve.

or invade someone elses house, do you really want to give someone else
that problem?

Our release point is over a mile from the nearest habitation and is a
suitable mouse habitat.

How do you know for certain that it is a suitable mouse habitat?

I'd also rather give the local predators a chance
of a meal than just kill in cold blood.

So you are happy for them to be killed, possibly slowly and very painfully,
but too cowardly to do it yourself?

And, using a nip trap results in an instantanious death, whereas a cat will
torment it for hours.

Alan

Old 29-06-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
Our release point is over a mile from the nearest habitation and is a
suitable mouse habitat. I'd also rather give the local predators a chance
of a meal than just kill in cold blood.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/pha0060l.jpg
Jenny :~))

Old 29-06-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:44:37 +0100, Sena wrote:

It makes no difference to me whether they're vermin or not. I don't
want to kill them. They're doing no harm to me and I see no reason to
do harm to them.

I'd rather they didn't share my house. They nibble anything and
everything, including the insulation from wiring. They also permenantly
dribble urine and carry disease. They do have a right to life, just not
in my home. Hence out policy of live capture and transportation, we are
lucky in that we can release so far from any habitation, most people
can't.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 29-06-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:54:14 GMT, Alan Holmes wrote:

Because they will not have access to the sort of food they are used to,
so they will starve.

Erm, I'm talking about the field mice that come in for the warmth in the
autumn. Not namby pamby townee house mice.

How do you know for certain that it is a suitable mouse habitat?

'cause it's pretty much the same as the habitat that surrounds our house.
The release place might actually be better as there is a pine plantation,
thus lots of cones with seeds... The rest is the same rough ungrazed
grass and moorland with drystone walls.

So you are happy for them to be killed, possibly slowly and very
painfully, but too cowardly to do it yourself?

Stoats, owls, merlin, kill pretty damn quick. Overfed domestic moggies
are the ones that play with their "kills" 'cause they are doing it for
fun not to survive.

whereas a cat will torment it for hours.

Perzackerly, there are one or two cats around here but they aren't
overfed domestic moggies. They are farm cats that regulary take rabbits.
I have the photos if you don't belive me.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 29-06-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 Alan Holmes wrote:

I cannot understand why anyone would not want to kill vermin, if you catch
them and release them somewhere else, they will either die a very painful
death or invade someone elses house, do you really want to give someone else
that problem?

Not if you're out in the country.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 29-06-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 Alan Holmes wrote:

It makes no difference to me whether they're vermin or not. I don't
want to kill them. They're doing no harm to me and I see no reason to
do harm to them.

I wonder, do you see flies in the same way, if they walk all over your food,
do you just accept them?

I think you are quite wrong about the mice not doing you any harm, I'm sure
they will pollute your food, in the same way as other things.

Of course they will if you're daft enough to leave the food out!

David

Old 30-06-2006, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 Alan Holmes wrote:

I think you are quite wrong about the mice not doing you any harm, I'm
sure
they will pollute your food, in the same way as other things.

Of course they will if you're daft enough to leave the food out!
David

We had one that bit thought the lid of a Tupperware box to get at the muesli
!
Jenny

Old 30-06-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 JennyC wrote:

I think you are quite wrong about the mice not doing you any harm, I'm
sure
they will pollute your food, in the same way as other things.

Of course they will if you're daft enough to leave the food out!

We had one that bit thought the lid of a Tupperware box to get at the muesli

Must have been desperate!

We had one that bit all round the cap of a bottle of vanilla essence. He
didn't get in, though! We also had one that bit through a large plastic
bottle full of linseed oil. I would have loved to have seen him soaked
in the oil! Made a mess on the floor. Still, the floor was only
concrete.

David

Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...
Sena wrote:
said...
Mouse enters, moves the card, second bucket slides down sealing both
exit holes....I've drawn a diagram because I've gone through this a
dozen times before on usenet and a lot of people struggle to
understand:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=161dwu9

I'm glad you drew the diagram because I was indeed struggling to
understand - although He Who Sits Opposite caught on immediately.
Don't you just love a smartraes.

Why two holes rather than just the one?

Because they rarely enter a deadend, rats are the same hence those traps
around factories which are basically just a piece of plastic drainpipe with
a slightly larger area inside for the bait....if it can see an exit it will
enter more readily.

I see. Thanks.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...
Wikipedia has two sorts of meecetrap :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousetrap
The cage looks good.........you could collect them all up and take them
round to the MiL's :~))

We've got one of them (the second picture down). They are excellent. We
caught about twenty of them that way a couple of years ago and released
them into our barn where they kept the sheep warm.

Thank you. Looks like a hunt in the attic or toolshed is in order for a
suitable mouse holder. There's got to be something amongst all the mess
here that'll come in useful for once.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
Our release point is over a mile from the nearest habitation and is a
suitable mouse habitat. I'd also rather give the local predators a chance
of a meal than just kill in cold blood.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/pha0060l.jpg
Jenny :~))

Brilliant!