Old 28-06-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

Default Meeces

Hello urglers. I'm told you might know the answer to my question,
previously asked in a certain outmolishment.

I have meeces in the house, and I do not particularly want meeces in the
house. I mean, they're very entertaining and all that, especially when
they come out to play late at night, but it is not cold outside and I
feel they would be better off with more fresh air.

I do not want to kill said meeces, and I'm not sure I fancy coming down
in the morning to have to remove them from sticky wotnots on the
skirting board (always assuming I could get to the skirting board), so I
want to know whether those sonic thingummies work. You know the ones,
they're supposed to emit an excrutiatingly high pitched swissle, and the
meeces are supposed to pack their bags and move on to pastures new. Or
something.

So, what do you think? Do they work, or would I be wasting my money?
Have any of you got any other humane ideas for gently evicting meeces
from houses?

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.
Old 28-06-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 Sena wrote:

[...]

Yes, get a weasel. We've had a weasel in our house for several months
and we haven't a single meece in that time.

Of course, the downside is the dreadful smell that weasels emit. And the
squitty droppings.

Does anyone have a way of getting rid of weasels, humane or otherwise?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 28-06-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Wikipedia has two sorts of meecetrap :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousetrap
The cage looks good.........you could collect them all up and take them
round to the MiL's :~))
Jenny

Old 28-06-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
Hello urglers. I'm told you might know the answer to my question,
previously asked in a certain outmolishment.

I have meeces in the house, and I do not particularly want meeces in the
house.

Wikipedia has two sorts of meecetrap :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousetrap
The cage looks good.........you could collect them all up and take them
round to the MiL's :~))

Hello Jenny, I hadn't realised you were a gardner.

I like the idea of the cage - it looks big enough for the moose to turn
around in. I like your idea of what to do with the moose thereafter as
well, but there's a problem: I lack a suitable MiL. I could always
borrow one, I suppose, if anyone's got a spare...

Old 28-06-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:36:22 +0100, David Rance wrote:

I want to know whether those sonic thingummies work.

So, what do you think? Do they work, or would I be wasting my money?

You're probably better of finding the snake that the oil came from and
using that to hunt the meece.

Have any of you got any other humane ideas for gently evicting meeces
from houses?

Make the place uncomfortable for mice. Clear up *all* food scraps, even
bread crumbs on the floor. Keep food in places the meeece can't reach or
sealed in sturdy containers. Go around the outside of you house blocking
up all holes (other than ventilation bricks or similar) bigger than 5/16"
or so dia.

We use the rentokil humane trap baited with Nuttella for catch the little
darlings each autumn. They are then transported 5 miles onto the fells,
they don't come back. We used to let them go at the bottom of the paddock
but after catching one mouse, with a torn ear, 5 times in a week revised
that policy...

The fact you have 'em inside at this time of year isn't a good sign.

Yes, get a weasel. We've had a weasel in our house for several months
and we haven't a single meece in that time.

We have Stoats, outside mind. Only the Shrews and Meece come a visiting
indoors.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 28-06-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sena wrote:
[...]

Either buy a humane trap or make your own, they are surprisingly easy.
Imagine two buckets, one inside the other, open end to open end, so that you
effectively have a sealed cylinder.
You can get your mice inside this cylinder thusly:
Bucket A requires two holes about an inch up from the bottom of the bucket
and facing each other (opposite sides of the bucket)
Fold a V from a piece of card about 2 inches high.
Place this in the bottom of the bucket with two holes in it, with the V
pointing towards the centre and the two arms touching the sides.
Insert food into this V, peanut butter, bacon rind etc.
Place the other bucket (B)resting on top of the card.

Mouse enters, moves the card, second bucket slides down sealing both exit
holes....I've drawn a diagram because I've gone through this a dozen times
before on usenet and a lot of people struggle to understand:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=161dwu9

Old 28-06-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sena

said...
Mouse enters, moves the card, second bucket slides down sealing both exit
holes....I've drawn a diagram because I've gone through this a dozen times
before on usenet and a lot of people struggle to understand:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=161dwu9

I'm glad you drew the diagram because I was indeed struggling to
understand - although He Who Sits Opposite caught on immediately. Don't
you just love a smartraes.

Why two holes rather than just the one?
Old 28-06-2006, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

snip
Make the place uncomfortable for mice. Clear up *all* food scraps, even
bread crumbs on the floor. Keep food in places the meeece can't reach or
sealed in sturdy containers.

You don't mean... you mean... no, surely not. You CAN'T mean - tidy
up?? Oh my ears and whiskers, whatever next? Thing is, if the house
were too uncomfortable for meeces it wouldn't be my house. I need a lie
down.

We had meeces in the bathroom not long ago, they found a large bar of
carbolic soap and ate most of it, I removed the soap and they went,
hmmmm, strange I know. no I dont use carbolic soap but one of our
daughters gave it to their Dad for Xmas and yes he did use it, a man of
the world is their Dad, my husband !!!

kate
Old 28-06-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Sena wrote:
said...
Mouse enters, moves the card, second bucket slides down sealing both
exit holes....I've drawn a diagram because I've gone through this a
dozen times before on usenet and a lot of people struggle to
understand:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=161dwu9

I'm glad you drew the diagram because I was indeed struggling to
understand - although He Who Sits Opposite caught on immediately.
Don't you just love a smartraes.

Why two holes rather than just the one?

Because they rarely enter a deadend, rats are the same hence those traps
around factories which are basically just a piece of plastic drainpipe with
a slightly larger area inside for the bait....if it can see an exit it will
enter more readily.

Old 29-06-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
said...

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
Hello urglers. I'm told you might know the answer to my question,
previously asked in a certain outmolishment.

I have meeces in the house, and I do not particularly want meeces in
the
house.

Wikipedia has two sorts of meecetrap :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mousetrap
The cage looks good.........you could collect them all up and take them
round to the MiL's :~))

Hello Jenny, I hadn't realised you were a gardner.

?? We'll have to stop meeting like this...........

I like the idea of the cage - it looks big enough for the moose to turn
around in. I like your idea of what to do with the moose thereafter as
well, but there's a problem: I lack a suitable MiL. I could always
borrow one, I suppose, if anyone's got a spare...

You can have mine ............
Jenny

Old 29-06-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 JennyC wrote:

[...]

We've got one of them (the second picture down). They are excellent. We
caught about twenty of them that way a couple of years ago and released
them into our barn where they kept the sheep warm.

David

Old 29-06-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 Kate Morgan wrote:

We had meeces in the bathroom not long ago, they found a large bar of
carbolic soap and ate most of it, I removed the soap and they went,
hmmmm, strange I know. no I dont use carbolic soap but one of our
daughters gave it to their Dad for Xmas and yes he did use it, a man of
the world is their Dad, my husband !!!

Yes, ours ate a whole bar of Marseille soap the other year! They've even
eaten the labels off pots of jam!

David

Old 29-06-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sena" wrote in message
t...
Hello urglers. I'm told you might know the answer to my question,
previously asked in a certain outmolishment.

I have meeces in the house, and I do not particularly want meeces in the
house. I mean, they're very entertaining and all that, especially when
they come out to play late at night, but it is not cold outside and I
feel they would be better off with more fresh air.

I do not want to kill said meeces, and I'm not sure I fancy coming down
in the morning to have to remove them from sticky wotnots on the
skirting board (always assuming I could get to the skirting board), so I
want to know whether those sonic thingummies work. You know the ones,
they're supposed to emit an excrutiatingly high pitched swissle, and the
meeces are supposed to pack their bags and move on to pastures new. Or
something.

I cannot understand why anyone would not want to kill vermin, if you catch
them and release them somewhere else, they will either die a very painful
death or invade someone elses house, do you really want to give someone else
that problem?

A nip trap kills them instantly.

Alan