Old 13-07-2006, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

Default What does it take to get seeds to sprout?

I planted Hollyhocks, Candytuft and Chrysanthemum in two beds (about
30-40 seeds each); the beds were dug up-to a depth off 2 inches. The
soil is clay. I didn't bury the seeds too deep since they were quite
small ( just sprinkled them ).

There are only a very few plants sprouting; The hollyhocks have long
spindly stems .

I also dumped a bunch of Antirrhinum, Salvia and Larkspur in a small 1
inch deep tray and put them on the terrace under a plastic sheet in
the hope that they get better light. The soil was clay. I did NOT
provide any drainage because i can't water them when i go to college.

I generally water one a evening or twice depending on how wet the soil
looks. I placed them in reasonably bright sunlight to dull grey cloudy
light.

Not one seed has sprouted!

1. Why have such a small percentage of seeds sprouted?
2. What sort of magic-potion can i add to strengthen plant stems?
3. What are the symptoms of excess water and lack of sunlight? Isn't
there some sort of thumb rule to figure out how much water to dump?
4. Should you expose the seeds to sunlight before planting them?
5. Is there a fail safe recipe for sprouting seeds in controlled
conditions? That way i can figure out what i'm doing wrong!

I remember sprouting green-gram seeds by just sprinkling the seeds on
a cotton wad soaked in water and keeping the bowl near a window!
I used to get a 100% success rate! Why the heck are flower seeds
different? Why aren't they sprouting! Surely they should sprout!! All
it takes is a little light and moisture to sprout!!

Should i try them on a cotton wad (just sprinkle them on a wet wad)?

One chrysanthemum sprout has wrinkled leafs?? It's not getting too
much sunlight.
Old 13-07-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Vivek.M wrote:
[...]

Life is like that. I had no luck with sunflowers a few years back. Last
Winter I dug a pond, as it is on sloping ground I used some of the spoil
to make a bank around the lowest part. I just left it to see what
happened, well I have many flowering plants, the usual ubiquitous
poppies but also, yes you guessed it a healthy sunflower. Nature will out.
Old 13-07-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vivek. M writes
I planted Hollyhocks, Candytuft and Chrysanthemum in two beds (about
30-40 seeds each); the beds were dug up-to a depth off 2 inches. The
soil is clay. I didn't bury the seeds too deep since they were quite
small ( just sprinkled them ).

There are only a very few plants sprouting; The hollyhocks have long
spindly stems .

Possibly because they dried out? It's difficult - some seeds are OK
planted deep, others prefer shallow, and some (eg poppies) need light to
germinate. It's problem with the shallow seeds to make sure they don't
dry out. Or it might just be that you need to be more patient - they
don't all necessarily germinate at once.

No idea on the spindly stems. Usually it's lack of light, but that won't
apply to you. Wait and see if the bush out a bit more?

I also dumped a bunch of Antirrhinum, Salvia and Larkspur in a small 1
inch deep tray and put them on the terrace under a plastic sheet in
the hope that they get better light. The soil was clay. I did NOT
provide any drainage because i can't water them when i go to college.

I generally water one a evening or twice depending on how wet the soil
looks. I placed them in reasonably bright sunlight to dull grey cloudy
light.

Not one seed has sprouted!

How long ago?

Germination requirements are complicated - they include light, moisture,
temperature. Some seeds will germinate within a week, others, even in
ideal conditions, will take months. My best guess that it was too warm
for the antirrhinum etc.

Some seeds need a 'winter' before germinating (their way of ensuring the
germinate at the start of a long growing season) - you can simulate
this, if you need to, by putting the pot in a plastic bag in the fridge
for about 6 weeks.

Thompson and Morgan do a germination guide which I think is free - it
would be worth getting hold of a copy.

But failing all else, try planting in a seed tray at a temperature of
around 20 deg C, make sure the soil is moist, and pop the whole tray
into a plastic bag to cut down water loss. If you're watering more than
once an evening, then you could be doing more to cut down evaporation.

1. Why have such a small percentage of seeds sprouted?
2. What sort of magic-potion can i add to strengthen plant stems?

Light ;-)

3. What are the symptoms of excess water and lack of sunlight?

Excess water - the plant wilts because the roots have rotted and it is
no longer getting any water
Lack of light - spindly growth - but unless you are growing indoors I
can't see this being a problem for you.

Isn't
there some sort of thumb rule to figure out how much water to dump?

Generally, water once the soil dries out, preferably before leaves wilt
.. For seeds and small seedlings, don't let the soil dry out. Ideally, it
should be moist but not wet at all times.

4. Should you expose the seeds to sunlight before planting them?

No. But some seeds need light for germination and should be planted on
top of the soil(1), others need dark and should be well covered.

(1) these are plants which aren't very good in competition, so the need
for light is a way of maximising the chance that the soil has been newly
turned and doesn't have much else growing there.

5. Is there a fail safe recipe for sprouting seeds in controlled
conditions? That way i can figure out what i'm doing wrong!

Are any of your weeds sprouting well.?
I've been sowing seeds for over 40 years and I still have complete
failures, so don't be downhearted.

I remember sprouting green-gram seeds by just sprinkling the seeds on
a cotton wad soaked in water and keeping the bowl near a window!
I used to get a 100% success rate! Why the heck are flower seeds
different?

Green gram - peas or lentils? - bigger seed, lots of food to help the
new seedling along, so it doesn't have to be quite so fussy about
conditions.

Why aren't they sprouting! Surely they should sprout!! All
it takes is a little light and moisture to sprout!!

Should i try them on a cotton wad (just sprinkle them on a wet wad)?

Worth a try.

One chrysanthemum sprout has wrinkled leafs?? It's not getting too
much sunlight.

*Sun* light isn't important, just light (OK, the pedants will tell me
all the light that hits the earth is form the sun) - you'll find it
easier to control maoiture if the seeds aren't in direct sunlight.

--
Kay
Old 14-07-2006, 06:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
I planted ................. There are only a very few plants sprouting

snipped

How to garden in the tropics (book)
http://www.timberpress.com/books/isb...ropics/holttum

Tips for the tropics
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...3/art5jul.html

Gardening in tropical South America (no idea if this is like India!)
http://www.tagnet.org/gma/frontlin/dalgardn.htm

Jenny

Old 14-07-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Vivek.M wrote:

Not one seed has sprouted!

Clay is not suitable as a growing medium by itself for seeds unless
your plants have self seeded and their seeds have spent a winter buried
in the soil. But that's in England ) You are in full moonsoon now -
perhaps you're a bit impatient?

But I feel that your poor result is because of the soil you have used -
seeds need moist, light and airy conditions so that the roots grow well
- they all need good drainage too. My friend Shruti tells me that in
Gujerat she uses sticks to grow creepers so that it provide shade for
delicate plants but also protect from too heavy rain. Less soil
disturbance, no heavy rain fall, not too much sun and good rich soil
usually results in great plants in Bungalore.

I had heard of the Bangalore way of making compost which is interesting
because you are very much surrounded by amazing flower markets, notably
the marigold farms all around you !! Lucky you ) Check out the link
below.

Making your own compost and starting now would give you a head start
(and a cheap way) to make your soil a bit more rich. With the heat you
have it would only take a few weeks too!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs...Compost202.pdf

Old 14-07-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

Not one seed has sprouted!

How long ago?

Well the first batch that went into the nursery beds was planted on
26th June ( i've got some sprouts in this batch ). The batch that went
into the tray was planted on 30th June (0 sprouts).

Thompson and Morgan do a germination guide which I think is free - it
would be worth getting hold of a copy.

They have a online copy as well, which i promptly dl'd. Thanks K!

1. Why have such a small percentage of seeds sprouted?
2. What sort of magic-potion can i add to strengthen plant stems?

Light ;-)

Damn! I thought there would have been something cool - I'm beginning
to feel a little like Getafix *lol*. Actually i was hoping for some
tricks, as in: well, some seeds secrete enzymes when water gets in.
Maybe there is a way to sprout those seeds and then mash them and feed
them to my flower seeds.. I'll try that with green-gram and a few
Salvia.

5. Is there a fail safe recipe for sprouting seeds in controlled
conditions? That way i can figure out what i'm doing wrong!

Are any of your weeds sprouting well.?
I've been sowing seeds for over 40 years and I still have complete
failures, so don't be downhearted.

No weeds ! Err..for now.
Old 14-07-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

Life is like that. I had no luck with sunflowers a few years back. Last
Winter I dug a pond, as it is on sloping ground I used some of the spoil
to make a bank around the lowest part. I just left it to see what
happened, well I have many flowering plants, the usual ubiquitous
poppies but also, yes you guessed it a healthy sunflower. Nature will out.

Wow! After a few years! Hmm..you'd think they'd have rotted out..
Old 14-07-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:01:10 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:
Each plant is different. They are all programmed to germinate seed in
a specific range of conditions. ( light, dark, temperature, daylength,
soil depth. Some seeds only germinate if they have been frosted or
burned or digested by a very specific gut). But generally speaking, if
you keep any seed in wet soil, outside its germination range (too
hot/cold/dark/light/deep/shallow) it will just rot. Purchased seed often
has the sowing instructions for that plant, printed on the packet.

Is any of this documented? For example mediline has a collection of
papers that doctors publish and anyone can connect and look through
them (well you need a password and stuff) also the patents DB - i can
look up any patent with just a few clicks! Do horticulturists publish
papers that are accessible via the net - methods on grafting, tissue
culture, or even stuff on how much water to add? I suppose that's the
sort of thing farmers need to know..

It's very hard for us to give you specific advice for growing in the
tropics (and also, off topic for this group) because most of us garden
in a northern temperate maritime climate. Even though you're trying to
grow the same plants we do, your conditions are very different.

Hmm yes. I think i'll try on rec.gardens (that's generic) and web
based forums.
Old 14-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:06:12 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

How to garden in the tropics (book)
http://www.timberpress.com/books/isb...ropics/holttum

Tips for the tropics
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...3/art5jul.html

Gardening in tropical South America (no idea if this is like India!)
http://www.tagnet.org/gma/frontlin/dalgardn.htm

Err no! Where i stay, the climate is nice and mild 14-36 Centigrade.
That tamu link is useful though! Ah Ha! I knew that link sounded
familiar! Check this out:
http://hort201.tamu.edu/lectsupl/Contents/contents.html

Super stuff on horticulture (basics).
Old 14-07-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Vivek.M wrote:
Life is like that. I had no luck with sunflowers a few years back. Last
Winter I dug a pond, as it is on sloping ground I used some of the spoil
to make a bank around the lowest part. I just left it to see what
happened, well I have many flowering plants, the usual ubiquitous
poppies but also, yes you guessed it a healthy sunflower. Nature will out.

Wow! After a few years! Hmm..you'd think they'd have rotted out..

Well I did exaggerate, I sowed them 2 years ago last spring. Of course
it may have been imported by a bird.

Old 14-07-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vivek.M

On 14 Jul 2006 03:37:33 -0700, "La Puce" wrote:
in the soil. But that's in England ) You are in full moonsoon now -
perhaps you're a bit impatient?

yeah a little . Still, 3 weeks now! Oh! for a bit of sun!! Nice
blazing sunshine for just 1 day would set everything right!!

Making your own compost and starting now would give you a head start
(and a cheap way) to make your soil a bit more rich. With the heat you
have it would only take a few weeks too!

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs...Compost202.pdf

Many thanks! That's a super link! I dislike pit digging - just
stacking the shrubbery and then claying the sides up is a lot easier!

La Puce - The flea? nice nick *grin*
Old 14-07-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Vivek. M wrote:
Many thanks! That's a super link! I dislike pit digging - just
stacking the shrubbery and then claying the sides up is a lot easier!

Impatient *and* lazy ! ;o)

La Puce - The flea? nice nick *grin*

blush

Old 14-07-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
[...]
Thompson and Morgan do a germination guide which I think is free - it
would be worth getting hold of a copy.

[...]

It's on line, here (you have to navigate through it by using a
drop-down menu, not by scrolling):
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/en/...n/introduction

--
Mike.

Old 14-07-2006, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vivek. M writes
Not one seed has sprouted!

How long ago?

Well the first batch that went into the nursery beds was planted on
26th June ( i've got some sprouts in this batch ). The batch that went
into the tray was planted on 30th June (0 sprouts).

Hmm .. A fortnight .. yes you'd be hoping to see some signs. What are
your daytime temperatures atm?

--
Kay
Old 14-07-2006, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
[...]
Thompson and Morgan do a germination guide which I think is free - it
would be worth getting hold of a copy.

[...]

It's on line at the following URL. You have to navigate through it
using a drop-down menu, not scrolling.
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/en/...n/introduction

(Sorry if a strange message from me has just appeared: I did some
fat-fingered keyboarding.)

--
Mike.