Old 22-07-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Puppy chewing plants: Any ideas?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 19/7/06 12:24, in article , "david taylor"
wrote:

"SallyJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a new puppy who is at the stage where everything (and I mean
everything) goes in his mouth! This includes flowers, leaves, twigs
and anything else he finds around the garden. I checked up which
plants were potentially poisonous and to my horror found that the list
includes many common species including virtually all bulbs,
philadelphus, ivy, delephiniums, lily of the valley, cherry laurel,
clematis armandii, dicentra and many more! Does anyone have any good
ideas about how to stop a puppy chewing these plants?

Many thanks

Sally Hayward
http://www.garden-marketplace.co.uk
Peace is the fruit of activity, not of sleep.
- Ancient Egyptian proverb

No smart ideas. The same issue can arise with children and grandchildren.
Close attention, correction and reward is all I can offer.
Regards
David T

When our still young Jack Russells & older wire haired dachies were paying
too much attention to the ducks, we put a very low voltage rabbit fencing
round the enclosure. Each dog touched his nose to it just once..... I do
stress *very* low voltage but it's unexpected and was just enough to keep
them away from that area as long as the ducks lived there.

Do you think that would work with tree rats?

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-07-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/7/06 16:54, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
When our still young Jack Russells & older wire haired dachies were paying
too much attention to the ducks, we put a very low voltage rabbit fencing
round the enclosure. Each dog touched his nose to it just once..... I do
stress *very* low voltage but it's unexpected and was just enough to keep
them away from that area as long as the ducks lived there.

Do you think that would work with tree rats?

Only if you can train them to stay on the ground, Alan!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-07-2006, 03:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doobydoobydo

Visitors often laugh at our Golden Retrievers toy box (just an open plastic
stacking/storage box), but he knows they are his things, to do with as he
wishes. Keeps him happy. I just need to teach him to bring them all back
in from the garden every night, as I often have to go out there and pick up
at least six cuddlies scattered around. Don't like leaving them out as have
witnessed fox pups playing with my last dogs toys. He's an orally fixated
gundog, he loves his teddies and is partial to the odd sock, which he
parades around with in his mouth.

"SallyJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Many thanks for all your ideas .. I have now fenced off the patio so he
can roam on this while staying safely in my sight ... have bought him a
wider range of chews.. am starting to teach him "drop".. and I keep
his favourite things within easy reach for rapid distraction. Once
again many thanks.

Old 24-07-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:20:16 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote
(in article ):

Visitors often laugh at our Golden Retrievers toy box (just an open plastic
stacking/storage box), but he knows they are his things, to do with as he
wishes. Keeps him happy. I just need to teach him to bring them all back
in from the garden every night, as I often have to go out there and pick up
at least six cuddlies scattered around. Don't like leaving them out as have
witnessed fox pups playing with my last dogs toys. He's an orally fixated
gundog, he loves his teddies and is partial to the odd sock, which he
parades around with in his mouth.

How funny, we used to have a tabby cat that carried socks around. We used
to leave her a basket full of socks every day and retrieve them from around
the house in the evening. She chirruped as she did it, and I always thought
the socks were a kitten substitute. Perhaps your dog thinks he is carrying
round a puppy.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation

Old 01-08-2006, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 22/7/06 16:54, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
When our still young Jack Russells & older wire haired dachies were
paying
too much attention to the ducks, we put a very low voltage rabbit
fencing
round the enclosure. Each dog touched his nose to it just once..... I
do
stress *very* low voltage but it's unexpected and was just enough to
keep
them away from that area as long as the ducks lived there.

Do you think that would work with tree rats?

Only if you can train them to stay on the ground, Alan!

I had been wondering about wrapping a wire round the trunk on insulated
things, I'd have to put up a notice warning that it was electrified.

Alan

Puppy & Plants Moe Jones Lawns 5 12-04-2008 01:38 AM
Cub Cadet Zero Turn chewing up lawn. Doug B. Lawns 7 19-01-2007 02:24 PM
Dog chewing my succulent-type plants! Linda H Australia 14 16-05-2006 11:00 AM
Selective Chewing Asiatic Lily Buds Joe Gardening 2 16-07-2004 02:02 AM
Rabbits, chewing, and planting saplings Chris Wilson United Kingdom 62 03-03-2004 03:12 PM