Old 27-07-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Chestnut

In an island bed surrounded by footpaths there is a horse chestnut. At 3
points the roots are near the surface and have caused the tarmac (council)
paths to break up.

Came out the house this morning to see the yellow markings around 2 of those
points indicating they're planning on fixing the footpath. The only way I
think they can fix the footpath would be to cut through the roots, as it's
the roots that are the problem.

Is this going to affect the stability of the tree? The tree is about 20-30
feet high, and has a large canopy. As we're in Scotland we do get the
occasional strong 'breeze'.

I've put a call into the council to ask this - hopefully they've considered
the implications (if any) - but thought I'd ask the FOAK before they called
me back. I'd hate for the tree to disappear, but I'd hate for it to land in
my garden, or even worse one of my neighbours houses.

Old 27-07-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The first thing to do is to write to the council and ask if this tree is
safe because of the implications on your house. Make sure you get a written
reply from them

Next is to write to your house insurance company pointing out your concerns
with reference to your house and your safety and that of passing
pedestrians.

By writing, you have drawn their attention to the possible problem and you
have some form of comeback should the dreadful event take place. By
telephoning the council. or your insurance company, there 'should' be a
record of your telephone call, but more than likely, when it suits them, it
is a case of 'We have no record of that telephone conversation'

Both my son in law and myself have had dealings of trees not on our land and
trees on our land so if you want any more help on this matter, don't
hesitate to ask.

By the way, a tree preservation order may be placed either on that tree, or
on all of the trees in the area as a blanket cover, so the Tree Preservation
Officer of the council will be aware, or should be made aware of the
situation.

Mike
Been there, done that, got the 'tree' shirt ;-)

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

.uk...

Old 27-07-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"WRabbit" wrote in message
.uk...
[...]

If you are worried try to get a TPO on it
See
http://www.chm.org.uk/cats.asp?t=353

Old 29-07-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"WRabbit" wrote in message
.uk...
In an island bed surrounded by footpaths there is a horse chestnut. At 3
points the roots are near the surface and have caused the tarmac (council)
paths to break up.

I was under the impression that horse chestnuts were banned as they
constitute a serious risk of damaging cars and injuring people if the nuts
fell on them!

Alan

Old 29-07-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"WRabbit" wrote in

message
.uk...
In an island bed surrounded by footpaths there is a horse chestnut. At

3
points the roots are near the surface and have caused the tarmac

(council)
paths to break up.

I was under the impression that horse chestnuts were banned as they
constitute a serious risk of damaging cars and injuring people if the nuts
fell on them!

Alan

and little boys might hurt themselves playing 'Conkers' and have to have Eye
Protectors and Hard Hats and Toetector Boots and Ear Defenders and Hazard

What a sad state this country has come to :-(((

Sacha will now repeat what I have said ;-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

horse chestnut trees problem Smokeyone Gardening 4 28-10-2004 11:52 AM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 04:23 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 12:02 AM
Horse Chestnut John Kelway Bonsai 2 27-08-2003 07:42 PM
Horse Chestnut Seedlings StormCrow United Kingdom 6 13-05-2003 04:32 PM