Old 03-08-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cleavers

"Sacha" wrote
Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

Galium aparine

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-08-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Old 03-08-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

I call it Galium. Is there a dispute over its correct name?--we did
previously agree that there can only be one StickY Willie

Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/06 17:53, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:53:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm
Galium aparine

Thanks to you and to Bob. I have been 'talking' to an American friend about
it but didn't know its proper name. For some reason, our dogs like eating
it, especially the dachshund. As he's extremely greedy, I think it must
have Rennies like properties!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/06 17:55, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
--

I call it Galium. Is there a dispute over its correct name?--we did
previously agree that there can only be one StickY Willie

No dispute. I just didn't know the correct name. I'd never heard it called
Sticky (sorrY) Willie until I saw that on here. I grew up knowing it as
Goose Grass and here in Devon, people seem to call it that and Cleavers.
The latter I can understand as it 'cleaves' to you but the others defeat me,
charming though they are - kind of!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:53:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm
Galium aparine

Thanks to you and to Bob. I have been 'talking' to an American friend
about
it but didn't know its proper name. For some reason, our dogs like eating
it, especially the dachshund. As he's extremely greedy, I think it must
have Rennies like properties!

Some of our hens like it too.

It's its only saving grace - that and being easy to pull. I have myself to
blame for it, I thought it would be fun to have when the children were
small.

Mary

Old 03-08-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

No dispute. I just didn't know the correct name. I'd never heard it
called
Sticky (sorrY) Willie until I saw that on here. I grew up knowing it as
Goose Grass and here in Devon, people seem to call it that and Cleavers.

The latter I can understand as it 'cleaves' to you but the others defeat
me,
charming though they are - kind of!

Both here in Yorkshire, perhaps geese eat it as well as hens ...

Mary

Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

I thought the Goosegrass referred to the shape of a goose foot -not that it
does.
As for sticky willie. The spherical things stick/cleave to you and...
(perhaps Ray can help).

Old 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

What? To fluff out my crinoline? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known

as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)~

~~~~~~~~~~~#
We always called it ' sweethearts'~~~ probably due to it clinging etc.
Seemed a nice name. Can be a nuisance in the Border Collie's hair!!
Best wishes Brian.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Well you already asked him about Crinum so don't give him a Cardio by
pursuing this any further.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/06 22:30, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip

Well you already asked him about Crinum so don't give him a Cardio by
pursuing this any further.

Sterner stuff! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/06 21:39, in article ,
"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously known

as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)~

~~~~~~~~~~~#
We always called it ' sweethearts'~~~ probably due to it clinging etc.
Seemed a nice name. Can be a nuisance in the Border Collie's hair!!

I like 'Sweethearts" and haven't heard it before. But I did spend about 45
mins pullling the burrs out of our wire haired Jack Russell's coat a couple
of days ago. He was smothered in the things. I think we have to admit this
plant has seed distribution cracked!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

[...]

I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk moths which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although I grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw so that
presumably is another use for it

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

[...]

Another name is "Beggar Lice"---the best yet