Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

Default Cleavers

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article

,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:53:08 +0100, Sacha

wrote:

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant

variously
known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm
Galium aparine

Thanks to you and to Bob. I have been 'talking' to an American

friend
about
it but didn't know its proper name. For some reason, our dogs

like
eating
it, especially the dachshund. As he's extremely greedy, I

think it must
have Rennies like properties!

Some of our hens like it too.

It's its only saving grace - that and being easy to pull. I have

myself to
blame for it, I thought it would be fun to have when the children

were
small.

Mary

I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk

moths which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although

I grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw

so that
presumably is another use for it

Bedstraw applies to other species of the genus. I can't imagine

Galium
aparine being very comfortable bedding.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

--
ned

Old 13-08-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Mary

--
ned

Old 13-08-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic

odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Mary

This is the stuff of myth and legend - bit before even my time.
I am given to understand that - in days of yore, before Fairy Snow,
Laundromats and body deodorants, when the hay filled mattresses of the
time became a bit, er, 'rank', ladies were given to adding Galium
aparine to the mattress to 'freshen' the bedding, hence 'Ladies
bedstraw'.

I doubt that your absence of a week would justify you having to test
the theory.
:-))

--
ned

Old 13-08-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Unwashed bodies, which bathed once a week, on a saturday night in a tin bath
in front of the fire, first in the bath were the children then father then
mother!

It was reported that many years ago before peple have a once a week bath,
that an upper class 'gentleman' when asked one day if he was clean, replied,
'Clean, clean, of course I'm clean I have a bath once a year, whether I need
it or not!'

Alan

Mary

--
ned

Old 13-08-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ned writes

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic

odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

This is the stuff of myth and legend - bit before even my time.
I am given to understand that - in days of yore, before Fairy Snow,
Laundromats and body deodorants, when the hay filled mattresses of the
time became a bit, er, 'rank', ladies were given to adding Galium
aparine to the mattress to 'freshen' the bedding, hence 'Ladies
bedstraw'.

Perhaps, but Keble Martin says Lady's Bedstraw is Gallium verum, not
aparine.
The difference is that G. verum (the little yellow-flowered bedstraw
that's common on dry roadsides) isn't remotely so scratchy.

Mattresses were filled with straw (not hay, which would turn to compost
very quickly) until after World War 2. Witnesses say they were rather
scratchy. Maybe lady's bedstraw was more comfortable, maybe the
peasants made it up.

Is there a volunteer willing to dry a cubic yard of G. verum and test it
for comfort?

--
Sue ]
Old 14-08-2006, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned ned is offline

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message , ned

writes

[...]

Well corrected on all counts!
I'm not right often and blow me, I'm wrong again.

--
ned

Old 14-08-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic

odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Mary

This is the stuff of myth and legend - bit before even my time.
I am given to understand that - in days of yore, before Fairy Snow,
Laundromats and body deodorants, when the hay filled mattresses of the
time became a bit, er, 'rank', ladies were given to adding Galium
aparine to the mattress to 'freshen' the bedding, hence 'Ladies
bedstraw'.

I can't see why mattresses should become any more 'rank' than they do now.

And in any case, iin my experience, man smell more than women.

I doubt that your absence of a week would justify you having to test
the theory.

Well, I was excusing myself for joining the subject late but in fact we've
been in wet Wales in our tiny 1960s caravan with original foam
cushions/mattress. Because we both sweat a lot and ventilation under the bed
is less than perfect the bedding does become less pleasant than I like.

I bring home all the loose bedding after every trip for laundering. This
time I've also brought home the measurements of the cushions/mattress too
and shall buy some new foam and cover them. Spouse is going to make a
ventilated support in the hope that I shan't need to air the c/m every
morning and that they stay fresh. I doubt that lady's bedstraw would help -
it would go as mouldy as would any vegetable matter under those conditions.

Mary

:-))

--
ned

Old 14-08-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MadCow" wrote in message

Mattresses were filled with straw (not hay, which would turn to compost
very quickly)

That's true - unless they were filled with feathers.

... until after World War 2.

?

Flock for cheapness and feathers for those who could afford it were the norm
in my experience - I was born before then. Spring interior mattresses were
available before the war.

Witnesses say they were rather scratchy.

I've slept in reconstructed dark age houses on straw, they weren't scratchy
(when you're really tired after a Dark Age day's work you sleep!) but they
are hard.

Maybe lady's bedstraw was more comfortable, maybe the peasants made it up.

Is there a record of what peasants said?

Is there a volunteer willing to dry a cubic yard of G. verum and test it
for comfort?

I'll test it but have no idea what it is or where to get it so can't offer
to dry it. If anyone's prepared to supply it I'll do the rest, even the
drying.

Mary

--
Sue ]

Old 14-08-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic odours'
you think would need masking and in which days?

Unwashed bodies, which bathed once a week, on a saturday night in a tin
bath in front of the fire, first in the bath were the children then father
then mother!

Alan, I don't know what happened when you were a child but when I was,
although we only bathed once a week (on a Friday) we washed daily. But the
reference was to mediaeval times, not when we were young.

People paid attention to personal hygiene in mediaeval times too.

It was reported that many years ago before peple have a once a week bath,
that an upper class 'gentleman' when asked one day if he was clean,
replied, 'Clean, clean, of course I'm clean I have a bath once a year,
whether I need it or not!'

That's usually ascribed to Queen Elizabeth I.

Mary
who has a bath once a week

Old 14-08-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/8/06 10:23, in article
, "Mary Fisher"

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic odours'
you think would need masking and in which days?

Unwashed bodies, which bathed once a week, on a saturday night in a tin
bath in front of the fire, first in the bath were the children then father
then mother!

Alan, I don't know what happened when you were a child but when I was,
although we only bathed once a week (on a Friday) we washed daily. But the
reference was to mediaeval times, not when we were young.

snip

This makes me think of a story told me to me yesterday about a very old
lady who could no longer get in and out of the bath. She told this person
that she washed down as far as possible, then she washed up as far as
possible and then she washed possible! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-08-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

This makes me think of a story told me to me yesterday about a very old
lady who could no longer get in and out of the bath. She told this person
that she washed down as far as possible, then she washed up as far as
possible and then she washed possible! ;-)

Yes, that's another family saying here too - used a lot when, as last week,
we're camping! I was going to say it above but didn't want to offend anyone
:-)

Mary

Old 14-08-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic

odours' you
think would need masking and in which days?

Mary

This is the stuff of myth and legend - bit before even my time.
I am given to understand that - in days of yore, before Fairy Snow,
Laundromats and body deodorants, when the hay filled mattresses of the
time became a bit, er, 'rank', ladies were given to adding Galium
aparine to the mattress to 'freshen' the bedding, hence 'Ladies
bedstraw'.

I can't see why mattresses should become any more 'rank' than they do now.

And in any case, iin my experience, man smell more than women.

I don't think my sense of smell is any better or worse than my wifes!

I doubt that your absence of a week would justify you having to test
the theory.

Well, I was excusing myself for joining the subject late but in fact we've
been in wet Wales in our tiny 1960s caravan with original foam
cushions/mattress. Because we both sweat a lot and ventilation under the
bed is less than perfect the bedding does become less pleasant than I
like.

I always used to put a thick layer of newpaper under the cushions in my
first van which had a solid base to the bed, that helped a lot with soaking
up the moisture.

I bring home all the loose bedding after every trip for laundering. This
time I've also brought home the measurements of the cushions/mattress too
and shall buy some new foam and cover them. Spouse is going to make a
ventilated support in the hope that I shan't need to air the c/m every
morning and that they stay fresh. I doubt that lady's bedstraw would
help - it would go as mouldy as would any vegetable matter under those
conditions.

I don't think I would want to try either lady's or gent's bedstraw!

Alan

Old 14-08-2006, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ned" wrote in message

I think the comfort of Ladies Bedstraw came from the aroma which
masked the domestic odours of them long gone days.
:-)

I've been away for a week but I'm interested in what 'domestic odours'
you think would need masking and in which days?

Unwashed bodies, which bathed once a week, on a saturday night in a tin
bath in front of the fire, first in the bath were the children then
father then mother!

Alan, I don't know what happened when you were a child but when I was,
although we only bathed once a week (on a Friday) we washed daily. But the
reference was to mediaeval times, not when we were young.

The only bits of me which got washed daily were hands and face, not
forgetting the ears!

The only people who bathed on friday were the posh people cos the rest of us
had to go to work on saturday morning, so it wasn't on to bath on friday,
you just got dirty again on the saturday morning.

People paid attention to personal hygiene in mediaeval times too.

That does surprise me, I wouldn't have tought that soap had been invented
then.

It was reported that many years ago before peple have a once a week bath,
that an upper class 'gentleman' when asked one day if he was clean,
replied, 'Clean, clean, of course I'm clean I have a bath once a year,
whether I need it or not!'

That's usually ascribed to Queen Elizabeth I.

I must try to remember that, but the tale I had was a 'gentleman' who said
it.

Mary
who has a bath once a week

I haven't had a bath for years, and I couldn't now even if I wanted to, I
just cannot get either in or out of a bath without someone very strong to
lift me out, but I did start showering during my time in the FAA!

Alan

Old 14-08-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/8/06 10:23, in article
, "Mary Fisher"

"ned" wrote in message

[...]