Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cleavers

"jane" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 23:11:37 +0100, Sacha wrote:

~On 3/8/06 21:39, in article ,
~"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:
~
~
~ "Sacha" wrote in message
~ ...
~ Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously
known
~ as
~ Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?
~ --
~ Sacha
~
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
~ South Devon
~ (email address on website)~
~ ~~~~~~~~~~~#
~ We always called it ' sweethearts'~~~ probably due to it clinging
etc.
~ Seemed a nice name. Can be a nuisance in the Border Collie's hair!!
~
~I like 'Sweethearts" and haven't heard it before. But I did spend about
45
~mins pullling the burrs out of our wire haired Jack Russell's coat a
couple
~of days ago. He was smothered in the things. I think we have to admit
this
~plant has seed distribution cracked!

I grew up in Derbyshire, knowing them as sticky buds

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

As a kid we used to chuck the big burs of something around and we called
those sticky buds. Tried a Google to find out the name but was offered info
on mind expanding legal drugs.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/06 08:03, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk moths which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although I grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw so that
presumably is another use for it

Didn't know that about the Humming Bird Hawk Moth, Charlie, so thank you.
We have had those here for a couple of years and they seem to like feeding
on the Salvia involucrata, particularly. I'll look a little more kindly on
the cleavers now. I pulled literally yards of it out of the hedge between
us and the churchyard but I'm quite sure there's plenty more where that came
from! And I don't know about anyone else but this is a bumper year for
Convolvulus in our garden. It's become a sort of obsession with me to pull
it up wherever and whenever I can.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

... And I don't know about anyone else but this is a bumper year for
Convolvulus in our garden. It's become a sort of obsession with me to
pull
it up wherever and whenever I can.

There was a beautiful bed of lesser convolvulus outside the hospital unit
where we parked the scooter last week, it was a joy to see it. I'm sure it
wasn't intended though :-)

Mary

Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jane" wrote in message

I grew up in Derbyshire, knowing them as sticky buds

In Yorkshire sticky buds were burdock burs, not cleavers!

Mary

Old 04-08-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

As a kid we used to chuck the big burs of something around and we called
those sticky buds. Tried a Google to find out the name but was offered info
on mind expanding legal drugs.

.... Burdock?
Arctium something ?

Well those were the ones my sister and I had 'battles' with. ))

Jennifer - in Bristol

Old 04-08-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/06 10:42, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

... And I don't know about anyone else but this is a bumper year for
Convolvulus in our garden. It's become a sort of obsession with me to
pull
it up wherever and whenever I can.

There was a beautiful bed of lesser convolvulus outside the hospital unit
where we parked the scooter last week, it was a joy to see it. I'm sure it
wasn't intended though :-)

The irony of the fact that we are busily encouraging Ipomoea to grow over an
arch while we are cursing the neighbouring Convolvulus, does not escape me!
I saw an absolutely tiny pink flowered one in a hedgerow the other day and
it was absolutely enchanting. I'll have to go back for another look because
I don't think it's a garden escapee.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
The irony of the fact that we are busily encouraging Ipomoea to grow
over an arch while we are cursing the neighbouring Convolvulus, does
not escape me!
I saw an absolutely tiny pink flowered one in a hedgerow the other day
and it was absolutely enchanting. I'll have to go back for another
look because I don't think it's a garden escapee.

It does seem variable in colour. You often see quite deep pink patches
on roadside verges along the quiter byways around here. I agree it's
lovely in the wild.

--
Sue

Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham writes

I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk moths

which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although I

grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw so that
presumably is another use for it

Probably not. It's a member of the bedstraw family and genus, hence
books referring to it as bedstraw, but it would be the other members of
the family, eg woodruff, which would be used as strewing herbs.
--
Kay

So not only do I have cleavers all over my garden but it was the wrong plant
in the first place! bit of a hard lesson in plant naming :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And I don't know about anyone else but this is a bumper year for
Convolvulus in our garden. It's become a sort of obsession with me to
pull
it up wherever and whenever I can.
Sacha

It's a nightmare weed for me. Granted the white bell shaped flowers are
pretty, but brambles and bindweed are the bane of my garden. Just the
slightest bit of bindweed root left in the garden when I rotovate and it
spreads everywhere. My wife is forever pulling the stuff out of flower beds,
but again just the smallest bit of missed root and it's back again. At least
I can use Glyphosate where it pops up in open ground but not unfortunately
when it smothers the patch of chives, courgettes etc.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/06 14:00, in article , "David
(in Normandy)" wrote:

And I don't know about anyone else but this is a bumper year for
Convolvulus in our garden. It's become a sort of obsession with me to
pull
it up wherever and whenever I can.
Sacha

It's a nightmare weed for me. Granted the white bell shaped flowers are
pretty, but brambles and bindweed are the bane of my garden. Just the
slightest bit of bindweed root left in the garden when I rotovate and it
spreads everywhere. My wife is forever pulling the stuff out of flower beds,
but again just the smallest bit of missed root and it's back again. At least
I can use Glyphosate where it pops up in open ground but not unfortunately
when it smothers the patch of chives, courgettes etc.

We haven't a hope of getting the roots up as the flower beds are too full
and frankly, too big. Some are very wide and over 60' long, so digging it
out really isn't an option. I did try training it up canes last year and
weed killing it but in a garden that's always open it's not an attractive
proposition, so now we just try to yank out as much as we can!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
The irony of the fact that we are busily encouraging Ipomoea to grow over
an
arch while we are cursing the neighbouring Convolvulus, does not escape
me!
I saw an absolutely tiny pink flowered one in a hedgerow the other day and
it was absolutely enchanting. I'll have to go back for another look
because
I don't think it's a garden escapee.

The people both sides of us on our new allotment are "new" veg gardeners and
when our Sweet Potatoes started running their faces were a picture.
Eventually both sides asked what we were doing cultivating extra large
Bindweed. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ews.net,
Sue writes

"Sacha" wrote
The irony of the fact that we are busily encouraging Ipomoea to grow
over an arch while we are cursing the neighbouring Convolvulus, does
not escape me!
I saw an absolutely tiny pink flowered one in a hedgerow the other day
and it was absolutely enchanting. I'll have to go back for another
look because I don't think it's a garden escapee.

It does seem variable in colour. You often see quite deep pink patches
on roadside verges along the quiter byways around here. I agree it's
lovely in the wild.

The hedge bindweeds are Calystegia, unless and until the botanists
change their minds (IIRC, there's some DNA data supporting sinking
Calystegia in Convolvulus). There's a few species present in Britain,
some of which have pink or pink-striped flowers, such as dea bindweed,
Calystegia soldanella. A small pink-flowered one would more likely be
field bindweed, Convolvulus arvensis. A cultivated pink one is
Convolvulus althaeoides.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-08-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 3/8/06 17:53, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:53:08 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Can someone please tell me the proper name for the plant variously

known
as
Cleavers, Goose Grass, Stick Willie, etc?

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm
Galium aparine

Thanks to you and to Bob. I have been 'talking' to an American friend
about
it but didn't know its proper name. For some reason, our dogs like

eating
it, especially the dachshund. As he's extremely greedy, I think it must
have Rennies like properties!

Some of our hens like it too.

It's its only saving grace - that and being easy to pull. I have myself to
blame for it, I thought it would be fun to have when the children were
small.

Mary

I got my infestations trying to be kind to the Humming bird hawk moths which
lay there eggs on it! down here its mostly called cleavers although I grew
up calling it goose grass, a lot of books refer to it as bedstraw so that
presumably is another use for it

Bedstraw applies to other species of the genus. I can't imagine Galium
aparine being very comfortable bedding.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-08-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brian" --- 'flayb' to respond wrote
We always called it ' sweethearts'~~~ probably due to it clinging
etc. Seemed a nice name. Can be a nuisance in the Border Collie's
hair!!

Oh that rings a bell. My mum always used to call the seeds
'sweethearts'.

--
Sue