Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet more Wisteria

In http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7809091_time-plant-wisteria.html I read

"Warning

Do not grow wisteria near gutters, where the runners can climb them and clog
them. Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants
are invasive and can choke out the local plants. Instead, choose wisterias
that are native to the United States.
"

I think all the Wisteria I have seen online are Chinese/Japanese - haven't
noticed any US natives.

Presumably even though this is a '.co.uk' site it is relaying US-centric
advice?

I was looking for when to plant out Wisteria as I noted the supplier in the

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 10:34:15 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

In http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7809091_time-plant-wisteria.html I read

"Warning

Do not grow wisteria near gutters, where the runners can climb them and
clog
them. Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these plants
are invasive and can choke out the local plants. Instead, choose wisterias
that are native to the United States.
"

I think all the Wisteria I have seen online are Chinese/Japanese -
haven't
noticed any US natives.

Presumably even though this is a '.co.uk' site it is relaying US-centric
advice?

I was looking for when to plant out Wisteria as I noted the supplier in
the

Did you look at the RHS website, Dave?
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=173

You can buy them online from the RHS
http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/...no.PL00006636/
http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/...no.PL00006647/
http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/classid.1748/
http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/classid.1736/

Thanks - featured ones on main site are Chinese/Japanese.
Didn't hit this site via Google so their search rankings possibly need
tweaking.
This is the best site for information I have seen - clearly states that they
are grafted and come in 2 litre pots.

Still investigating gardeningexpress - only online, contactable only by
registering than raising a support ticket, and guess what?
Support ticket system is currently broken.

The advice to make sure that you have grafted (most plant sellers) or
propogated (generally amateur gardeners) plants not seed grown (don't flower
for 20 years) is good and tells you that you shouldn't really deal with
anyone who can't supply that information.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
snip
Still investigating gardeningexpress - only online, contactable only by
registering than raising a support ticket, and guess what?
Support ticket system is currently broken.

snip

Gah!
Ticket system works under IE9 but not under Firefox or Chrome.
Web amateurs!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Well, there are no wisteria native to Britain.

Janet

Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
In http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7809091_time-plant-wisteria.html I read

"Warning

Do not grow wisteria near gutters, where the runners can climb them and
clog them. Do not plant Chinese wisteria or Japanese wisteria, as these
plants are invasive and can choke out the local plants. Instead, choose
wisterias that are native to the United States.
"

I think all the Wisteria I have seen online are Chinese/Japanese -
haven't noticed any US natives.

Presumably even though this is a '.co.uk' site it is relaying US-centric
advice?

I was looking for when to plant out Wisteria as I noted the supplier in
the previous thread only supplied plants for the first six months of the
year.

Cheers

Dave R
--

You will not be surprised to hear I think that advice is garbage!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I thought it looked a bit strange.

I was mainly intrigued by the prospect of US native Wisteria and wondering
if anyone had grown them over here, because some parts of the US have a
similar climate (although large parts don't).

Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Wisteria fruiticans. It has smaller flower trusses than the oriental
varieties and needs a good amount of heat to flower well and lacks scent,
(there is a sub species with some scent), it is not often planted in the UK
but does make beautiful bonsai.

The Americans find it less invasive than the two oriental wisterias which
with their much hotter summers seed freely, W. sinensis is a huge plant and
can be damaging in the wrong place

Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thanks - much appreciated :-)

Old 09-06-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yet more Wisteria - gardeningexpress

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
snip
Still investigating gardeningexpress - only online, contactable only by
registering than raising a support ticket, and guess what?
Support ticket system is currently broken.

snip

Gah!
Ticket system works under IE9 but not under Firefox or Chrome.
Web amateurs!

I raised two support tickets, one as a query about pot size for the wisteria
and the other about lack of support for Firefox/Chrome in the ticketing
system.
No response to either, they won't communicate by email or phone so the
ticketing system is the only way to interact.
Given their lack of response I shall not be doing business with them.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Wisteria 'trees' - more Knightshayes! Sacha United Kingdom 4 14-08-2006 12:00 AM
Yet more under water lights Roy Ponds 0 29-08-2004 04:51 AM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM
yet more lighting questions Kate Quirk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:15 AM
Logging (yet some more) Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 01-11-2002 11:27 AM