Old 17-08-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree ID please

Yesterday I took a walk round the woodland garden at the Hollycombe Steam
Museum and came across a small tree growing in the partial shade of others,
it had rounded leaves about 10p size, and had lots of 4 inch or so pink
fruit hanging off the branches.
The fruit reminded me of a tropical fruit I've seen abroad but don't know
it's name. A bit like a prickly Pear with spines but thinner and more
pointed at the ends and indented between the spines.
I've never seen it before unless it's this hot dry summer allowing it to
fruit here.

Spent some time searching the net without success, anyone any ideas? Like an
idiot I had my camera with me but didn't get a shot. :-(

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 17-08-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" asked

Yesterday I took a walk round the woodland garden at the Hollycombe Steam
Museum and came across a small tree growing in the partial shade of
others,
it had rounded leaves about 10p size, and had lots of 4 inch or so pink
fruit hanging off the branches.
The fruit reminded me of a tropical fruit I've seen abroad but don't know
it's name. A bit like a prickly Pear with spines but thinner and more
pointed at the ends and indented between the spines.
I've never seen it before unless it's this hot dry summer allowing it to
fruit here.

Spent some time searching the net without success, anyone any ideas? Like
an
idiot I had my camera with me but didn't get a shot. :-(

Arbutus? But the leaves don't sound right.

Leaves are wrong and so is the fruit, at least I only know the Strawberry
Tree fruit and they were nothing like the fruit on this tree. More like a
Prickly Pear, spaced out spines, sunken between the spines, pointed at both
ends, pink, a fingers length. Certainly unusual.
I've mailed the Museum and asked what it is, I'll let you know if they tell
me, if not a return visit with camera will be called for.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 18-08-2006, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" asked

[...]

This one is really annoying me. I half know what you are talking about but
no joy. My initial reaction was some form of Cercidiphyllum, because of the
round leaves.
I have only seen your recent posts (thought you had departed to the great
compost heap up/down there) since I unblocked your very common email
address (hint)

Old 18-08-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
This one is really annoying me. I half know what you are talking about but
no joy. My initial reaction was some form of Cercidiphyllum, because of
the round leaves.
I have only seen your recent posts (thought you had departed to the great
compost heap up/down there) since I unblocked your very common email
address (hint)

The false e-mail address I use was originally designed to prevent spammers
getting your real address and that's why a few of us still use it.
Unfortunately some of the trolls use it to cause more confusion knowing that
people will put them, at therefore it, into their Blocked Senders List.
It's why I now simply Delete posts and don't use the BSL much at all.
I'll take a look at what alternative I can use, I think my ISP has some
throwaway addresses to use.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-08-2006, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
This one is really annoying me. I half know what you are talking about but
no joy. My initial reaction was some form of Cercidiphyllum, because of
the round leaves.
I have only seen your recent posts (thought you had departed to the great
compost heap up/down there) since I unblocked your very common email
address (hint)

The false e-mail address I use was originally designed to prevent spammers
getting your real address and that's why a few of us still use it.
Unfortunately some of the trolls use it to cause more confusion knowing that
people will put them, at therefore it, into their Blocked Senders List.
It's why I now simply Delete posts and don't use the BSL much at all.
I'll take a look at what alternative I can use, I think my ISP has some
throwaway addresses to use.

The top-level domain .invalid was created for this purpose.

You can put your own name or slogan before the dot so that anyone who
wants to killfile you can do it on your individual merits.

--
Sue ]