Old 23-08-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default French Bean Attack

Our friends-husband French, wife Italian are fanatical vegetable gardeners, growing mainly continental varieties in a secluded Italian type walled garden with a warm sheltered microclimate.
They suffer the usual round of pests-a lot of snails, blackbirds and collared doves, but have been very successful having converted to growing vegetables in their 60s.
This year they have sown a sucession of dwarf french beans, with no problems until their last sowing about the beginning of August. They had a short row with 6 plants, covered against birds and sprinkled with slug pellets. All 6 germinated and had grow to about 6cm with multiple stems (about 4 per plant 3mm diameter) when all were cut off just above soil level, with no residue remaining.
In my experience snail or bird attack could have given total destruction-but there was no evidence of snails and the small area was protected from birds by a plastic cloche cover.
Any suggestion? Cutworms usually leave the plant resdiue to eat later.
regards
David T
Old 23-08-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

david taylor wrote:
[...]

I would have said snails but you seem certain it wasn't (lack of slime
trails?).
It is the one time in gardening when I see red and starting daydreaming
about chemicals
or concrete. I am usually very relaxed about pests and just live with
them but seedlings being chopped off at soil level kills me every time.
I have taken to plastic bottle cloches for this very reason.
Otheriwise, sorry I cannot suggest anything else it could be.

Des in Snailsville Dublin

Old 25-08-2006, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

david taylor wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply-there have been no other suggestions from the
group-and in view of this I am inclined to think that a collared dove has
managed to get round the defenses. There are many about and can be very bold
in tight locations.
Regards
David T