Old 29-08-2006, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?

"Chris" ] wrote in message

Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?
And how do you do it?
I want to use the ground that has had potatoes in it - and that

ground
is really loose!
Should I compress it with a sledgehammer?

Some plants such as Brussels Sprouts just like to have very close
contact with the soil. Put the seedling in and then firm it down well
by pushing down on the soil around the plant with your hands. Don't
squasht he rots to extinction but be firm. (I hope that description
isn't as inadequate as I believe it sounds - sigh!)

Old 29-08-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:08:04 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?
And how do you do it?
I want to use the ground that has had potatoes in it - and that ground
is really loose!
Should I compress it with a sledgehammer?
Or what?

Percy Thrower (you may not be old enough to remember him) when
planting something, and pressing it in with his foot, once said "Don't
do a war dance round it!" Perhaps in the case of your brassicas, a
war dance would do the trick!

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-08-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote
Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?
And how do you do it?
I want to use the ground that has had potatoes in it - and that ground is
really loose!
Should I compress it with a sledgehammer?
Or what?

So what Brassicas are you about to plant, all ours have been in and growing
for months.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-08-2006, 05:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Chris" wrote
Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?
And how do you do it?
I want to use the ground that has had potatoes in it - and that ground is
really loose!
Should I compress it with a sledgehammer?
Or what?

So what Brassicas are you about to plant, all ours have been in and growing
for months.

Cabbages.
--
Chris

Old 30-08-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Chris" wrote
Why do cabbages have to be planted firmly?
And how do you do it?
I want to use the ground that has had potatoes in it - and that
ground is
really loose!
Should I compress it with a sledgehammer?
Or what?

So what Brassicas are you about to plant, all ours have been in and
growing
for months.

Cabbages.

Spring cabbages?