Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Dog Waste

In message , Ian Robinson
writes
I did that, they don't really break down that well, too many lumpy bones
left - plenty of calcium in the soil now!
Someone said something to me about 'waste' from meat eating animals being
bad for the garden. I think they meant meat etc doesn't compost well ? ? ?
Any more info on the subject ?
(thanks to all for answering so far )

Our town council have given us green bins in which we were originally to
put garden waste. So far, so good. Then they sent round a note saying
any foodstuffs would be accepted with the exception of bones, with an
additional note to say you could wrap the duff food in newspaper if you
wanted to. I understand from various friends in other parts of the
country that their town councils are now only going to empty all bins
once every two weeks instead of the usual once a week. This is already
happening in Wymondham in Norfolk and is apparently becoming the thing
with many other councils throughout the land (Andover, Hampshire has, I
believe, just changed over from weekly to fortnightly collections).
What are the bin-men doing in the intervening week? Are they not paid?
If so, how do they spend their employed hours?
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2006, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

[...]

My daughter has just bought another house in Reading and they are going to
two week collections, BUT, they have two bins, one for rubbish, one for
recycle stuff. One one week, the other the other week :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

?
Any more info on the subject ?
(thanks to all for answering so far )

Our town council have given us green bins in which we were originally to
put garden waste. So far, so good. Then they sent round a note saying
any foodstuffs would be accepted with the exception of bones, with an
additional note to say you could wrap the duff food in newspaper if you
wanted to. I understand from various friends in other pails.rts of the
country that their town councils are now only going to empty all bins once
every two weeks instead of the usual once a week. This is already
happening in Wymondham in Norfolk and is apparently becoming the thing
with many other councils throughout the land (Andover, Hampshire has, I
believe, just changed over from weekly to fortnightly collections). What
are the bin-men doing in the intervening week? Are they not paid? If so,
how do they spend their employed hours?
--
June Hughes

Fascinating to see the different policies of various Councils.
So can you put dog/cat poo in your recycle bin?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:

snip
I understand from various friends in other parts of the
country that their town councils are now only going to empty all bins
once every two weeks instead of the usual once a week. This is
already happening in Wymondham in Norfolk and is apparently becoming
the thing with many other councils throughout the land (Andover,
Hampshire has, I believe, just changed over from weekly to
fortnightly collections).

Surely they mean, fortnightly collections of alternate bins (
recyclables bin one week, general rubbish bin the next). That's what
we're getting

Incidentally, the Wymondham bins might be among the microchipped ones
being weighed that have recently hit the headlines, as they come under
South Norfolk DC who are trialling that system I believe.

I'm in an adjoining area but waste collection is pretty much the same
afaik (except the colour of the bins is reversed, just to confuse
everyone) and yes it's alternate weeks for recyclable and 'normal' waste
bins. Anyone who can't deal with composting also has the option to have
a third bin for garden refuse which is collected fortnightly at a small
extra charge.

--
Sue

Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
I'm in an adjoining area but waste collection is pretty much the same
afaik (except the colour of the bins is reversed, just to confuse
everyone) and yes it's alternate weeks for recyclable and 'normal' waste
bins. Anyone who can't deal with composting also has the option to have
a third bin for garden refuse which is collected fortnightly at a small
extra charge.

--
Sue

I meant to add the third bin to my previous posting reference Reading but I
don't think thee is a fortnightly charge for this, just a one off to supply
the green bin.

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Not sure about dogs, but my communal garden is plagued with cats and their indestructable poo. I know that cat scat can contain all kinds of nasties, so last year I just dug a wee hole about a foot deep (dubbed the sh*t pit) underneath a hebe, covered it with an old roof slate and started chucking any I found in there. It just disappears naturally, no chemicals required. No flies or beasties. The hebe is still alive too.

bob
Old 04-09-2006, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

snip

What are the bin-men doing in the intervening week? Are they not paid?
If so, how do they spend their employed hours?

Duh, they still come every week.

Barnet have three collections, all on the same day, two of which are
within ten minutes of each other. That is easily checked out, Barnet
has a big enough website. So, here that would not be the case.
However, as fortnightly collections have not been mooted here, let's
hope it will stay that way.
--
June Hughes