Old 27-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Ruth

Default Identifying Verbena bonariensis seedlings?

Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? I planted some mature verbena plants
last year and this year, there seem to be clumps of seedlings fairly
close to some of the plants. However, there are a few clumps of similar
looking seedlings close to one or two other things so I am trying to
work out if some of the plants have self-seeded or not or whether I just
need to be doing a bit more weeding! Some of the seedlings are growing
second leaves now and although these leaves seem to look 'serrated',
they are roundish rather than long as on the mature plants..... Can
anyone help?

All the best

Ruth
Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 PM
William Tasso

Ruth wrote:
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? I planted some mature verbena plants
last year and this year, there seem to be clumps of seedlings fairly
close to some of the plants. However, there are a few clumps of
similar looking seedlings close to one or two other things so I am
trying to work out if some of the plants have self-seeded or not or
whether I just need to be doing a bit more weeding! Some of the
seedlings are growing second leaves now and although these leaves
seem to look 'serrated', they are roundish rather than long as on the
mature plants..... Can anyone help?

sorry, no pic, but http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/verbena-b.htm has this
to say "self seeds readily / may be invasive"

In any event, have fun.
--
William Tasso

Old 27-04-2003, 04:08 PM
swroot

Ruth wrote:

Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? I planted some mature verbena plants
last year and this year, there seem to be clumps of seedlings fairly
close to some of the plants. However, there are a few clumps of similar
looking seedlings close to one or two other things so I am trying to
work out if some of the plants have self-seeded or not or whether I just
need to be doing a bit more weeding! Some of the seedlings are growing
second leaves now and although these leaves seem to look 'serrated',
they are roundish rather than long as on the mature plants..... Can
anyone help?

I haven't got a picture, but in past years I've had good, nay,
overwhelming crops of seedlings. Look for slightly serrated leaves with
a rather pronounced pattern of veination, stems and leaf edges (in
memory) with a hint of pink/purple. The seedlings start to resemble the
adult leaf form within two or three sets of leaves, so you haven't long
to wait to ID them.

Good luck :-)

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 27-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Neil Jones

Ruth wrote in message .. .
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? I planted some mature verbena plants
last year and this year, there seem to be clumps of seedlings fairly
close to some of the plants. However, there are a few clumps of similar
looking seedlings close to one or two other things so I am trying to
work out if some of the plants have self-seeded or not or whether I just
need to be doing a bit more weeding! Some of the seedlings are growing
second leaves now and although these leaves seem to look 'serrated',
they are roundish rather than long as on the mature plants..... Can
anyone help?

All the best

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I have some seedlings and a digital camera.So here you are! These are
sown indoors in coir fibre. So you can be certain it isn't something
else.
http://www.butterflyguy.com/bonariensis.jpg
--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn
Old 27-04-2003, 10:08 PM
cpemma

"Ruth" wrote in message
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? I planted some mature verbena plants
last year and this year, there seem to be clumps of seedlings fairly
close to some of the plants. However, there are a few clumps of similar
looking seedlings close to one or two other things so I am trying to
work out if some of the plants have self-seeded or not or whether I just
need to be doing a bit more weeding! Some of the seedlings are growing
second leaves now and although these leaves seem to look 'serrated',
they are roundish rather than long as on the mature plants..... Can
anyone help?

I tend to leave seedlings alone until I'm sure what they are. The V.b.
self-seeds a few new plants each year, and we've continuity with honesty,
teasels and other biennials.

Old 28-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Ruth

In article ,
"William Tasso" wrote:

Ruth wrote:
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like?snip

sorry, no pic, but http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/verbena-b.htm has this
to say "self seeds readily / may be invasive"

Thanks for the info - that's handy!

Kindest regards

Ruth
Old 28-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Ruth

In article ,
"cpemma" wrote:

"Ruth" wrote in message
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like?snip

I tend to leave seedlings alone until I'm sure what they are. The V.b.
self-seeds a few new plants each year, and we've continuity with honesty,
teasels and other biennials.

Hmmmmm.......yes, well there seem to be a lot of these seedlings so
maybe they are just weeds, as you say though, best left to see what
develops.

All the best

Ruth
Old 28-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Ruth

In article ,
(Neil Jones) wrote:

Ruth wrote in message
.. .
Hello there

I am wondering whether anyone might have a piccie of what a verbena
bonariensis seedling looks like? snip

Hi Ruth,

I have some seedlings and a digital camera.So here you are! These are
sown indoors in coir fibre. So you can be certain it isn't something
else.
http://www.butterflyguy.com/bonariensis.jpg

You complete star! Thanks very much indeed for that! Looks like I have
lots of lovely new vb seedlings then - wonderful... Great wildlife site
as well BTW

Kindest regards

Ruth

Verbena bonariensis turned hefty Clara5 United Kingdom 6 26-08-2016 11:46 PM
verbena bonariensis Tom Weaving United Kingdom 1 05-11-2012 05:07 PM
Should Verbena Bonariensis be "nipped out"? Tricia United Kingdom 2 28-05-2004 09:29 AM
Verbena seedlings kate Gardening 0 27-02-2004 03:32 PM
Verbena bonariensis.....?! Tyra Trevellyn Gardening 9 09-05-2003 06:44 PM