Old 06-09-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleia colvilei

I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

Sacha said: (I had to hunt this out as it got lost amongst a longer
thread!)

I asked Ray about this and he suggests quite a gritty mix. If you tell
us what you're actually using, he may be able to help you further.

I've tried tip, root and ripe/unripe and semi ripe cuttings.

I've tried 3:1 of sharp sand and compost, I've tried vermiculite and
sand and Perlite and sand, bottom heat, in soil and covered with heat.
None have shown the slightest interest in staying alive!
All other cuttings of other buddleias have been really easy.
Might try seed next ..............
It's getting to be a propagation challenge

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

Last buddleia I grew was as a result of nicking a flower off someone else's
and laying it on the ground.

Clearly it wasn't a Colveilei!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/9/06 12:32, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

Sacha said: (I had to hunt this out as it got lost amongst a longer
thread!)

I asked Ray about this and he suggests quite a gritty mix. If you tell
us what you're actually using, he may be able to help you further.

I've tried tip, root and ripe/unripe and semi ripe cuttings.

I've tried 3:1 of sharp sand and compost, I've tried vermiculite and
sand and Perlite and sand, bottom heat, in soil and covered with heat.
None have shown the slightest interest in staying alive!
All other cuttings of other buddleias have been really easy.
Might try seed next ..............
It's getting to be a propagation challenge

Janet, I'll print this off and show it to Ray and see what he suggests.
Watch this space!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I do mine in 50/50 peat and perlite but just outside the mist of the mist
unit so it stays on the dry side, I do find like B. forestii it is more
tricky. What I would really like to know is how long my plant will take to
flower (now 4 years old and no sign)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

Have you tried layering?
Nick underside near leaf joint and lay into gritty compost and place stone
on top.
Or try air layering, nick by a leaf joint and wrap compost mix around and
wrap with polythene and tape top and bottom of polythene to stem.
May work.
regards
Cineman

Old 06-09-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Janet, I'll print this off and show it to Ray and see what he suggests.
Watch this space!

Thanks Sacha, only thing left was seed or layering or even tissue
culture but can't do that one without a lab

Janet
Old 06-09-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

I do mine in 50/50 peat and perlite

Isn't that too 'soft' Charlie? I never thought of pure peat, will try
that next time. Is there a particular time to take cuttings from this
shrub?

Old 06-09-2006, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , cineman
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

Have you tried layering?
Nick underside near leaf joint and lay into gritty compost and place stone
on top.
Or try air layering, nick by a leaf joint and wrap compost mix around and
wrap with polythene and tape top and bottom of polythene to stem.
May work.
regards
Cineman

Um, how do you layer a Buddleia? The growth is fairly stiff and much too
high surely to bend down? Might try putting a tall pot down near lowest
shoot maybe but the plant I have access to is in someone else's garden

Never thought of air layering a shrub like Buddleia. Could try another
root cutting if we are going the whole gamut of processes.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes

I do mine in 50/50 peat and perlite

Isn't that too 'soft' Charlie? I never thought of pure peat, will try
that next time. Is there a particular time to take cuttings from this
shrub?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Being not under the mist but still on bottom heat the mix stays pretty dry
(and that's sharper than my standard mix anyway, which is 2 parts peat and
only one part perlite! and we use that for pelargoniums, isn't it a good
thing plants can not read the manual)
The person I got the original cutting from told me it would be several years
before it flowered - she wasn't kidding. But the most annoying thing is I
only took one cutting and it was not in great condition, rooted fine, and
now if I get 50% to root its a good batch, still I only need a handful each
year and in answer to your question of when, I do them in August because
that's when I have both time and space.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We used to grow and sell B. colvilei 'Kewensis' when I had my nursery.
I used to take semi-ripe side-shoots with a small heel, wound them
(take a fine slice about 1cm. long from the side of the stem
immediately above the heel) and insert in trays of 60/40 perlite and
moss peat. They were drenched with fungicide several times at weekly
intervals and kept in an part-open sided polythene tent on the prop
bench without basal heat, watering only when the compost started to dry
out. Winter temperatures in that house were maintained a few degrees
above freezing on cold days.

Apart from picking over dead or yellow leaves and ensuring they didn't
become bone dry, they were left to their own devices until the
following spring. By then, most of the cuttings had calloused well,
but with little if any actual root. They were then shifted to a
slightly heated bench to encourage root action. Only when several
leaves had been produced were they potted on, but after that they
usually grew away quite well. 'Kewensis' tends to flower earlier than
the species and is a somewhat richer colour, so a plant in a 20L pot
with one of two flower spikes would be ready for sale a year later.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:32:12 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I said..........

Speaking of Buddleias, why oh why can't I get Colvilei to root? I've
tried dozens of ways and dozens of times but to no avail.

This will be of no help whatsoever, but some 25 years ago I came
across a miserable, stunted specimen of B. colvilei in some scrubby
woodland in the grounds of a large private house. As it was obviously
about to expire, I took three cuttings and potted them up. At least
two of them rooted, apparently without difficulty or special
treatment, although I cannot remember the time of year or what I did
in particular. Beginner's luck!

--
Chris

Old 10-09-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/9/06 19:06, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Janet, I'll print this off and show it to Ray and see what he suggests.
Watch this space!

Thanks Sacha, only thing left was seed or layering or even tissue
culture but can't do that one without a lab

Ray suggests a slit trench with some sharp gravel or sand in the bottom for
drainage. He also suggests a warm wall, if you can find the room. To me,
it appears that he's taking a 'treat em rough' approach!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM