Old 03-06-2006, 03:17 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Default Ripe Apples DON'T Smell Bad

Thats because apples are not true fruits.

Mangoes, peaches, guava, bananas, the SE Asian durian fruit, papayas,
and nectarines are true fruits. That is why they stink badly when ripe.
Their stinks is increased exponentially if they are canned. It probably
has something to do with the sugar in the canned variety. Often canned
fruits are bathed in sugary syrup. Perhaps the sugar reacts with the
certain ripe chemicals of the fruits [including but not limited to
esters, aldehydes, and terpenes] and thus produce a stink.

I can't stand it.

Sour, unripe red and green fruits are so fresh, sour, energizing,
clean, rejuvenating, lively, and effervescent. The perfume of heaven is
the scent given off by these fruits

Ripe yellow fruits, OTOH, are stinky, stale, tickly, annoying,
irritating, frightening, and putrid. They make my skin crawl. Eww. Its
the smell of hell.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Radium" wrote:

[...]

You need therapy.......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 03-06-2006, 04:41 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"Radium" wrote:

[...]

Trying opening a can of syrupy mangoes in a warm enivornment. The stink
will you traumatize you.

--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 03-06-2006, 05:02 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carter

On 3 Jun 2006 07:17:32 -0700, "Radium"
wrote:

Thats because apples are not true fruits.

Please cite your authority for this statement. The first site I
checked (WWikipedia) says that apples are true fruit.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

Jim Carter wrote:

Please cite your authority for this statement.

,sneck
You're both arguing with a cross-posting troll.
And a one trick one at that.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Michael Moroney

"Radium" writes:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"Radium" wrote:

Thats because apples are not true fruits.

Mangoes, peaches, guava, bananas, the SE Asian durian fruit, papayas,
and nectarines are true fruits. That is why they stink badly when ripe.
Their stinks is increased exponentially if they are canned. It probably
has something to do with the sugar in the canned variety. Often canned
fruits are bathed in sugary syrup. Perhaps the sugar reacts with the
certain ripe chemicals of the fruits [including but not limited to
esters, aldehydes, and terpenes] and thus produce a stink.

I can't stand it.

Durian is interesting. Unlike the other fruits mentioned, it really does
smell bad. Really bad. Hotels in Asia tell their guests durians aren't
allowed in the rooms. But surprisingly, it tastes great. What chemical(s)
produce the durian stink?

Ripe yellow fruits, OTOH, are stinky, stale, tickly, annoying,
irritating, frightening, and putrid. They make my skin crawl. Eww. Its
the smell of hell.

You need therapy.......

No, he seems to have a yummy fruit sensor in his nose connected to
the "stink" nerves or something. But he doesn't recognize that he's
unusual/unique in this regard.

Given that apples don't have that reaction on him, maybe someone can
recognize a chemical present in the other ripe fruits but not apples.
However, apples are as just as much a fruit as the others.

Trying opening a can of syrupy mangoes in a warm enivornment. The stink
will you traumatize you.

Canned mangoes...mmmmm....yummy. But fresh ones are much nicer.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:31 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

wrote:

Thats because apples are not true fruits.

I apologize profusely and retract my statement. Apples are fruits. I
was probably confusing apples with something else.

Old 03-06-2006, 05:36 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"Radium" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"Radium" wrote:

[...]

Done that...
They smell delicious.

When will you get it that your sense of smell is not the norm'?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Charles

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:24:38 +0000 (UTC),
(Michael Moroney) wrote:

"Radium" writes:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"Radium" wrote:

Thats because apples are not true fruits.

Mangoes, peaches, guava, bananas, the SE Asian durian fruit, papayas,
and nectarines are true fruits. That is why they stink badly when ripe.
Their stinks is increased exponentially if they are canned. It probably
has something to do with the sugar in the canned variety. Often canned
fruits are bathed in sugary syrup. Perhaps the sugar reacts with the
certain ripe chemicals of the fruits [including but not limited to
esters, aldehydes, and terpenes] and thus produce a stink.

I can't stand it.

Durian is interesting. Unlike the other fruits mentioned, it really does
smell bad. Really bad. Hotels in Asia tell their guests durians aren't
allowed in the rooms. But surprisingly, it tastes great. What chemical(s)
produce the durian stink?

Not to everyone, which is also interesting. I, as an American
visiting Malaysia, didn't find the smell offensive, just strong. They
taste good, but are over-rated, in my opinion.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:13 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Michael Moroney wrote:
No, he seems to have a yummy fruit sensor in his nose connected to
the "stink" nerves or something.

I like the flavors of most fruits. What I don't like is stink they emit
when ripe. Most fruits have the same basic flavor whether ripe or
unripe. Its just that they emit an additional odor when ripe that
happens to be extremely foul. More and more I am starting to think this
has to do with the sugar since canned syrupy fruits stink more than
fresh fruits. I could be mistaken about the sugar part, just maybe.
I've tried opening up a large pack of sugar and smelling it, the sugar
does have a mild foul odor but not nearly as foul as that of canned
ripe fruits. So maybe its the reactions of the sugars and "ripe fruit
chemicals" that produce the foul odors when combined.

I like lemonade without sugar. Once sugar is added, the lemonade begins
to smell sort of bad.

Once again though, I really enjoy the flavors of most fruits.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:04 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Michael Moroney

"Radium" writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:
No, he seems to have a yummy fruit sensor in his nose connected to
the "stink" nerves or something.

I like the flavors of most fruits. What I don't like is stink they emit
when ripe. Most fruits have the same basic flavor whether ripe or
unripe. Its just that they emit an additional odor when ripe that
happens to be extremely foul.

Again, it's something unique about you that thinks ripe fruits smell foul.
You write as if most people think ripe fruits smell foul, which is far from
the truth.

Perhaps you can find an organic chemist with access to several aldehydes
etc. to find the specific chemical you have the odd reaction to, or maybe
sniff the artificial flavorings from a supermarket, if you're that curious.
Also fruits have a wide variety of flavors, once you get past the basic
sweet and tart/acid tastes most have.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Michael Moroney wrote:
"Radium" writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:
No, he seems to have a yummy fruit sensor in his nose connected to
the "stink" nerves or something.

I like the flavors of most fruits. What I don't like is stink they emit
when ripe. Most fruits have the same basic flavor whether ripe or
unripe. Its just that they emit an additional odor when ripe that
happens to be extremely foul.

Again, it's something unique about you that thinks ripe fruits smell foul.
You write as if most people think ripe fruits smell foul, which is far from
the truth.

Perhaps you can find an organic chemist with access to several aldehydes
etc. to find the specific chemical you have the odd reaction to, or maybe
sniff the artificial flavorings from a supermarket, if you're that curious.

I've bought artifical flavorings. They smell pleasant, actually.

My guess is that the foul smell in ripe fruits has something to do with
the sugar reacting with a countless variety of other organic compounds
present in fruits. This is because I prefer lemonade w/out sugar. When
sugar is added, the lemonade smells bad to me. I also notice that pure
table sugar does have somewhat of a foul odor.

Do most sniffers think suger smells bad? Has anyone actually stuck
their nose into a container of pure table suger? I've done that and it
does smell bad but not as strong ripe fruits.

So, once again, I guess it has to do with sugars reacting the the
organic substances present in the fruits. There are countless different
organic and odor-producing substances in fruits. The smell may not be
of just one compound but billions of different compounds put together.
In addition, the same chemical that smells good in smaller quantities
may smell bad in larger concentrations [and visa versa]. The
pleasantness of the fruit's odor may also be determined by the
proportions of different organic compounds to each other. Temperature
and humidity may also play a factor in whether compound smell or not
and whether their smells are pleasant or not. In addition, some
compounds have to be mixed together to have any odor at all and are
totally odorless when seperated [visa versa is also true]. Proportions
of different compounds to either may also play a role as to whether
there is any smell or not.

Some compounds that affect or cause odors haven't yet been discovered.

Also fruits have a wide variety of flavors, once you get past the basic
sweet and tart/acid tastes most have.

I am well aware that different fruits have their own specific pleasant
flavors. I like almost all fruity flavors. What I hate is the ripe
smell. I hate the smell of sugary fruits. Sugary fruits may taste
"sweet" but they certainly do *not* smell "sweet". They smell bad.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:32 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

"Radium" wrote:
Do most sniffers think suger smells bad? Has anyone actually
stuck their nose into a container of pure table suger? I've done
that and it does smell bad but not as strong ripe fruits.

Sugar does have an unpleasant odor. And I like raw lemons.

I like almost all fruity flavors. What I hate is the ripe smell. I
hate the smell of sugary fruits. Sugary fruits may taste "sweet"
but they certainly do *not* smell "sweet". They smell bad.

Your talking about sugary fruit, reminds of banana bread pudding.
Not that I ever thought the smell was out of the ordinary or
distasteful, I think your olfactory sensitivity might be a little more
sensitive than others.

There was a body fat test performed on a class of students at one
time. The test measures the amount of electrical impedance in the
body to get a reading. A whole class of fourty students had a lead
hooked up to one hand and a lead hooked up to another hand.
Everyone experienced the test. Unfortunately or fortunately, no
one else felt a thing. The instructor mentioned that no one would
feel anything. When the current ran through me, I felt it move up
my right arm, swirl in my head and then move down the left arm.
In fact, it spooked me and I blurted out, "Hey I felt that!" No one
else admitted feeling anything.

Hope this helps.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:03 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Jim Carlock wrote:
"Radium" wrote:
Do most sniffers think suger smells bad? Has anyone actually
stuck their nose into a container of pure table suger? I've done
that and it does smell bad but not as strong ripe fruits.

Sugar does have an unpleasant odor.

What causes sugar to stink?

And I like raw lemons.

Me too.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible

Here is Radium's info:

"Radium"
Please everyone e-mail your complaints about Radium to

I just did. Let's get his account canceled.