Old 29-09-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default double digging

In article , Lionel
writes

Can you imagine doing that when the wind's blowing a hoolie!!!? Beside,
who's got feather pillows and duvets these days?

Lionel

Me!
Wouldn't have that awful substitute filling in a pillow, then they
become all soft and the 'bounce' soon gets knocked out of them.
I change pillows anyway when they get old and I have emptied a double
duvet onto the compost heap, it was about 10 years old but we treated
ourselves to a new one.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 29-09-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
A trip to Marks and Sparks sounds necessary! OTOH, I got some lovely,
extra wide pillows from Peacock Blue and they're blissful.

We use down duvets, but I've wanted to get a few more Hungarian goose
down pillows (the BEST) - but have been put off at the thought of bird
flu. Do you suppose I'm silly?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-09-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
news
In article , Lionel

, it was about 10 years old but we treated
ourselves to a new one.

? Only 10 years old 'is' new ;-)

Mike

Old 29-09-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Klara writes:

| We use down duvets, but I've wanted to get a few more Hungarian goose
| down pillows (the BEST) - but have been put off at the thought of bird
| flu. Do you suppose I'm silly?

Yes. Influenza effectively doesn't have a stable form, and so can be
transmitted only directly. Now, if you were to worry about tetanus
or anthrax from using rawhide for bondage games, then you would be
being entirely rational (if mildly kinky) :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-09-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

| We use down duvets, but I've wanted to get a few more Hungarian goose
| down pillows (the BEST) - but have been put off at the thought of bird
| flu. Do you suppose I'm silly?

Nick Maclaren writes
Yes. Influenza effectively doesn't have a stable form, and so can be
transmitted only directly. Now, if you were to worry about tetanus or
anthrax from using rawhide for bondage games, then you would be being
entirely rational (if mildly kinky) :-)

Oh no, strictly rubber for the bondage ;-))

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-09-2006, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Klara contains these words:

We use down duvets, but I've wanted to get a few more Hungarian goose
down pillows (the BEST) - but have been put off at the thought of bird
flu. Do you suppose I'm silly?

HDG pillows are bliss. Incidentally, you can get a good reduction on
them by putting yourself on the mailing list of The White Company, and
waiting for their sale reductions+post free offers which happen at least
4 times a year. They are washable/dryable in domestic sized machines
and come up like new (I've done it).In between launderings, you can
reduce dustmites by sealing the pillows in an airtight plastic bag and
putting them in the freezer.

Janet.

Whee, mind at rest, I'm off to the White Company! We had a HGD duvet
(straight from Hungary); when it became too elderly (I won't even say
how old!) we composted it and replaced it with a regular goosedown one,
and although loads better than synthetic or even feather and down, it
just isn't quite the same....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-09-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Have you ever seen silk-filled ones? They are being imported from
China now.

carbon carbon carbon ...

grrrrrr.

:-)

Old 29-09-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

I hope the cleaners launder it in water, not dry cleaner. Ours actually
say on the label, do not dry clean. The reason is that toxic drycleaning
fluids are retained in bulky filling ( down, feathers or synthetic
filling) and will do you no good at all when you inhale them at night.

Double duvets are too bulky to fit in normal domestic sized washers,
let alone tumblers. You may be able to find a launderette with
supersized extra large washing and drying machines specially for double
duvet sized loads. I send our down one to a place in Glasgow called
Fast Feathers; I think they may do a postal service.

If extra bedding laundry is a problem atm, you may find a duvet
protector useful, as supplied to the hotel trade. I'll look out the
number if you want.

Janet.

These are *Hungarian* goose down, so you take them down to the river, to
that nice flat stone...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 29-09-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from Klara contains these words:

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

If extra bedding laundry is a problem atm, you may find a duvet
protector useful, as supplied to the hotel trade. I'll look out the
number if you want.

Janet.

These are *Hungarian* goose down, so you take them down to the river, to
that nice flat stone...

But Mary hasn't got a tumble dryer, or access to Hungarian summer sunshine.

I always washed the kids' synthetic duvets in the bath, by trampling
up and down on them.

I usually do my double down duvet in the washing machine, working on the
principal that it will compress when wet. But having terminally damaged
the bearings of the last washing machine, I thought I perhaps better try
hand washing, which of course left it too wet to tumble dry, so I dried
it by draping it over the garden bench in the sun, and turning it
frequently. It worked OK. I suspect the demand to tumble dry is to
overcome the problem of having it take several days to dry through, and
rotting in the process.
--
Kay
Old 29-09-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

The polyester filled type which I find very hot and heavyweight, too. And
foam pillows which osteopaths and chiropractors love because they're so bad
for your neck. ;-)

I have one of those weird shaped pillows but use it under a PROPER
pillow so I get the firmness but also the comfort!
Old 29-09-2006, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 28/9/06 16:02, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
The polyester filled type which I find very hot and heavyweight, too. And
foam pillows which osteopaths and chiropractors love because they're so bad
for your neck. ;-)

Oh err! Can you bring your own duvet and pillows then. I have feather
and down but because Fiona and Ben are allergic to them, we have to have
polywhatsit on their beds when they visit.

I think we can manage for a night or two! We keep some of the polyester
pillows and one duvet because we have an American friend who is allergic,
too. I have to remember to make sure those are used when she comes or the
poor thing is in misery. My problem is where to store all the darned things
when they are NOT being used. No house ever has enough cupboards, mutter,
mutter, moan..!

I have those plastic bags that can store large items, you attach the
suction end to a vacuum cleaner and it compresses the bag and turns a
HUGE duvet into manageable proportions.
Old 30-09-2006, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Double duvets are too bulky to fit in normal domestic sized

washers,
let alone tumblers.

True, but I've done it with a winter weight queen sized duvet. I just
had to be very careful about how long I let it run to stop
overheating. Short bursts only. With the duvet and all the tennis
balls inside, the poor old domestic drier was struggling but it still
managed well and has done so a number of times :-))

Old 30-09-2006, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message

These are *Hungarian* goose down, so you take them down to the

river, to
that nice flat stone...

Nah. The bath full of suds and bare feet is the go.