Old 30-09-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default double digging

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
"Uncle Marvo"

carbon carbon carbon ...
grrrrrr.
:-)

Oh, you're one of those purists who only uses cotton.... made from
non-imported, native cotton plants grown in Grimsby, which you comb,
spin and weave by hand on your boat. Which reminds me, you haven't
mentioned what fuel you use for frequent canal and river cruises, ferry
and plane trips to Spain etc? Or anything about the carbon expended
fetching tobacco to process those 6000 carbon-emitting cigarettes you
brought back , in a car, on a boat?

Good man Marvo. Not only a master of lightning wit, backchat and repartee
but also a contraband smuggler (and cheap tobacco to boot).

rob

Old 30-09-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:01:50 +0100, Farm1 wrote
(in article ):

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Double duvets are too bulky to fit in normal domestic sized

washers,
let alone tumblers.

True, but I've done it with a winter weight queen sized duvet. I just
had to be very careful about how long I let it run to stop
overheating. Short bursts only. With the duvet and all the tennis
balls inside, the poor old domestic drier was struggling but it still
managed well and has done so a number of times :-))

Tennis balls? Your duvet plays tennis in the tumble dryer?

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 30-09-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/9/06 23:49, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

snip

I have those plastic bags that can store large items, you attach the
suction end to a vacuum cleaner and it compresses the bag and turns a
HUGE duvet into manageable proportions.

Thanks for the idea, Janet. I will find those!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-09-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:01:50 +0100, Farm1 wrote
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Double duvets are too bulky to fit in normal domestic sized

washers,
let alone tumblers.

True, but I've done it with a winter weight queen sized duvet. I

just
had to be very careful about how long I let it run to stop
overheating. Short bursts only. With the duvet and all the

tennis
balls inside, the poor old domestic drier was struggling but it

still
managed well and has done so a number of times :-))

Tennis balls? Your duvet plays tennis in the tumble dryer?

I've always used half a dozen tennis balls when I dry my duvets but it
makes a hell of a racket as the drier tumbles. The tennis balls keep
the drying feathers moving. They break up clumps of drying feathers
and help the feathers dry evenly.

Old 30-09-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:24:52 +0100, Farm1 wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Right! Well I really didn't know that, so thanks for the tip.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Farm1
writes

I've always used half a dozen tennis balls when I dry my duvets but it
makes a hell of a racket as the drier tumbles. The tennis balls keep
the drying feathers moving. They break up clumps of drying feathers
and help the feathers dry evenly.

Likewise for 'stuffed' jackets - Puffa jackets, etc.

--
regards andyw