Old 24-07-2011, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peas - late sowing

I have found a packet of peas that I forgot about. Hurst Greenschaft.
Is it too late to sow them now and get a late crop?

Thanks
Baz
Old 24-07-2011, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:21:56 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have found a packet of peas that I forgot about. Hurst Greenschaft.
Is it too late to sow them now and get a late crop?

Thanks
Baz

Hi Baz

Some seed suppliers say this main crop variety can be sown in July
though I wouldn't sow after early June. Given that it takes up to 16
weeks to mature, you're looking at much less than ideal growing
conditions by mid November so you'd certainly need to give it some
protection as the autumn rains (on top of the summer rains) are going
to mean very wet soil which isn't ideal.

If the pack date's ok I'd keep them for next year.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 24-07-2011, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:425o27dr3b4m5k7kjadu3uua14kcba5au8@
4ax.com:

[...]

I am going to have a lot of seeds for next year. My entire crop matured
while were away, Serves me right for sowing all at once and I did the same
last year but froze most. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day
to do all of the tasks needed to keep house and garden and work.....etc.

One thing is certain - home grown veg. are leaps and bounds away from
anything in the shops, that's what keeps me going.

Cheers to you as well
Baz
Old 24-07-2011, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 14:25:58 GMT, Baz wrote:

[...]

You know I'm talking a bit of "history" as I don't have a veg patch in
the garden at the moment. My friend seems to be losing the allotment
bug - I've been there more than him - and I'm hoping that I'll be
allowed to take it over if he jacks it in. Come to think of it, all
the peas were "mine" and he's been picking most of them! There is a
waiting list (which I'm not on) but I'm cultivating the "neighbours"
and maybe the committee will bend the rules a bit if the council
allows.

Anyhow, I would sow peas at fortnightly intervals. I've tried the
November sowing for an early crop a few times but never had much
success. Still, with mid and main crop sowings, I always had enough
to keep going most of the year (only buying a couple of packs of Birds
Eye each year).

Giving raspberries away as can't keep up with them and strawberries
doing fine too. Been picking apples for a week (weird!) but not a
single tomato anything other than green at the moment. Lots of fruits
but no sign of ripening.

But, d'ya know, the thing I think I'll miss most is a stuffed marrow.

Old 24-07-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 24, 8:41*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 24, 1:21*pm, Baz wrote:

I have found a packet of peas that I forgot about. Hurst Greenschaft.
Is it too late to sow them now and get a late crop?

Thanks
Baz

I would keep for next year. I start my peas off indoors in a bit of 4"
guttering.
Get a much better germination rate. *To plant, cut a mini-trench and
slide out of the end of the gutter. *(Rest end of gutter in trench)

Seems as if we have 2 topics going on here.
Re alotment
"You know I'm talking a bit of "history" as I don't have a veg patch
in
the garden at the moment. My friend seems to be losing the allotment
bug - I've been there more than him - and I'm hoping that I'll be
allowed to take it over if he jacks it in. Come to think of it, all
the peas were "mine" and he's been picking most of them! There is a
waiting list (which I'm not on) but I'm cultivating the "neighbours"
and maybe the committee will bend the rules a bit if the council
allows. "
Why not see if your friend will let you work it for him for next year,
and if the committee say anything you could say he is hopeing to carry
on in 2013 so you are keeping it going for him.
David