Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT car query

On 10/10/06 14:39, in article ,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
as high. Four. We run a horticultural business and vehicles with some
stamina, some guts in muddy condition and some space in the back are
essentials.

I've no comments about the rest of this thread but I must pick up on
that "some space in the back" bit. Most of the 4WDs seem to have a
trivial amount of space in the back compared with a medium/large
'ordinary' hatchback or estate car. If you want lots of space get a
Granada Estate or a Citroen XM, far more than almost any 4WD.

I appreciate what you say which is why I'm considering the Nissan. But the
cars you recommend do not have the high driving position I'm looking for.
Thank you, though.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 10/10/06 14:10, in article ,
"bigjon" wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:56:01 +0100, June Hughes wrote:

In message , bigjon
writes

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

Erm - Sacha lives in the country not in town. Have you driven in Devon?
Have you driven in the country at all? If so, you will know what she is
getting at.

I live in the country...

You are posting from Enfield.

Snip

I am intrigued! How do you know that? As someone who lives within a
few miles of Enfield, I can confirm that we don't have many country
lanes, unless you count the ones a bit further out and they are nothing
as narrow as the ones I have experienced in places like Dorset.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-10-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bigjon" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:34:06 +0100, Catswhisker wrote:

"bigjon" wrote in message
. ..

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

You bloody fool. She wants to see over the hedges to see what's coming
the
other way.

Watching the road is the best place to see whats coming.

In addition to giving a longer warning of what is coming, a taller car is
also seen sooner by the perhaps less cautious driver coming the other way.
In short, an upright 4x4 is the most suitable vehicle for someone living in
Devon lanes. It's not suitable for use in town, but no-one here has claimed
that it is.

I also live in a rural area, and yes, I have driven
devon/cornwall/somerset
lanes regularly. I have friends and family in Glastonbury, Sherborne,
Tiverton, Okehampton, Dunterton, Longcross, Odham, Halwill, Thorndon
cross,
Northcott and Upcott etc etc...

With an attitude like yours, I doubt you have that many friends.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 15:33, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 10/10/06 14:10, in article ,
"bigjon" wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:56:01 +0100, June Hughes wrote:

In message , bigjon
writes

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

Erm - Sacha lives in the country not in town. Have you driven in Devon?
Have you driven in the country at all? If so, you will know what she is
getting at.

I live in the country...

You are posting from Enfield.

Snip

I am intrigued! How do you know that? As someone who lives within a
few miles of Enfield, I can confirm that we don't have many country
lanes, unless you count the ones a bit further out and they are nothing
as narrow as the ones I have experienced in places like Dorset.

I'll email you. But with regards to our lanes, most of those round us are
single track and hedges are 12 to 15' high or even more. What the higher
driving position gives you is a chance to see from the top of a hill, other
vehicles coming towards you that will not be aware of you. This means you
can either slow right down to virtually zero, pull in if there's room to do
so, or stop altogether. The roads from us in the Ashburton direction are
real ups and downs and twisty and the same applies going the other way,
towards Totnes.
I agree with Bob that something like the Defender is ideal but with back and
neck problems and the leakiness, it was too hard for me to drive with
comfort, though I really did love it. Of course, I've threatened Ray I'm
going to get a Hummer but for some reason, I don't think he took me
seriously! ;-)

Old 10-10-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bigjon" wrote
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:56:01 +0100, June Hughes wrote:

Fact: There are far more men drivers who are much worse than women.

Proof please?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisw...214983,00.html
Jenny :~)

Old 10-10-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 13:59, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?

snip

You won't find much as tall as a Defender, I find I look down on most other
4x4's . Indeed I have remarked that I wished I was driving our one on the
odd occasion when trying to get to your place. That lane of yours is so
narrow, and yes, I did meet a dustbin lorry coming the other way once. :-(

No, I don't think there's anything as high as the Defender, either. We have
noticed a considerable increase in traffic, much of it going much too fast
for the conditions. We think some of it is people using our lanes as a
ratrun from the A38 Ashburton side to Dartington or Totnes. There has been
a big increase in the number and size of tractors & trailers, too and the
other day I had to back up 5 times for different cars and farm vehicles, in
just 2.5 miles. Your Landy would be the best thing for visiting us but a
bit rattly for such a long journey, perhaps?

Anyway, do the door seals still leak in the rain? I know my 20 year old ones
does.

It might be easier to say what didn't leak! It leaked somehow through the
bonnet and not the air vents, either; through the door seals and through the
sun roof. The latter was the worst problem and in the end, I had it sealed
shut. Then we could not get rid of the leaks through the bonnet and as I
say, the patch of ice was the final straw!

Toyota have a very good reputation for reliability and some of their 4x4's
are quite good for their proper purpose although they do tend to look a bit
brash imo.
The New Discovery is the best looking LandRover at the moment imo and very
capable, reliability seems improved too after the push by BMW and then Ford.
Of the more road orientated 4x4's the BMW X5 is still up there with the best
although soon to be replaced (should be some deals around) and the new
Mercedes M Class has got excellent reviews (unlike the old one).

I'll look into those but am not sure I want a 'new' car so I'll look at the
older models, yes. I resent the depreciation as soon as it's driven out of
the show room and with these lanes the scratching cars get is awful,
especially when you get someone with a posh car who will NOT pull right into
the hedge to pass you, just because of those threatened scratches!
Thanks for the good advice, Bob.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?

I'd have to go with the others who recommended a Land Rover. The SWB
one has a smaller turning circle than the old Golf (not tried a new
one) and is not as tiring to drive as you might think.

Failing that, consider the Fiat Multipla or the older Espace, or a
Toyota and cruiser.

Or a periscope.

Lots of road tests at http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests

Or a helicopter :~)
Or one of these, though it's a tad on the large side:
http://www.robgray.com/motorhomes/photos.htm
I personally find vans have a higher wheelbase than cars. Plus loads of room
for carting stuff about. I learnt to drive in a Comer van (giving my age
away........!) and used to drive a Ford Transit. Both were pretty high.
Jenny

Old 10-10-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
As someone who lives within a
few miles of Enfield, I can confirm that we don't have many country
lanes, unless you count the ones a bit further out and they are nothing
as narrow as the ones I have experienced in places like Dorset.

Where Sacha lives, the lanes edges are the tallest and densestI have
ever seen. Around Pembrokshire are the second tallest, third is Lleyn
and after all the rest. There's not one car I can imagine which could
be tall enough to see over it. We drive a Fiat Doblo 100% biodiesel
now, and we've been around Europe's fields and hills, mountains and
rivers and I must say we've been very comfortable. I think there's a
bit of a myth with the 'comfort' one gets in a taller car. I used to
have a Frontera - I know. Also for these lanes you need a narrow car -
just imagine two Defenders facing each others in a Devon's lane?!
Comical!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

June Hughes wrote:
[...]

Had it not occurred to you that she only made the original posting to 'make
a statement' again?

Sad sad sad lady

Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Women driving SUV's do not have a good reputation for attention to

driving
care in my town, especially on the school run. Unless you have more money
than sense, go and buy a proper car, not an SUV.

Any people driving SUV's in town without a very good reason should be
banished, IMNSHO. However, why did you single out women?

I would guess that women were brought into this as a result of experiences I
am sure we all have had witnessing the "schoolruns". unfortunately some SUV
drivers do develop attitude and give less disregard for others on the road.
I live near to a school, and if I drive past you can guarantee that there
will be at least SUV driver who has parked right on the bend, or will not
give way (my car is smaller than theirs so guess who has to pull over or
stop)

an Australian friend mentioned to me about protests SUVs nearby schools.
I had a quick look in google and found this.

http://tinyurl.com/z9g9b

Old 10-10-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message
news

[...]

Well goodness me!! A Hummer!!

Now where have I heard of one of those today?

Wide and low!! Not much use for looking over hedges :-((

But VERY impressive, wow, that WOULD impress the neighbours !!!!!

Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:28:31 +0200, JennyC wrote:

"bigjon" wrote
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:56:01 +0100, June Hughes wrote:

Fact: There are far more men drivers who are much worse than women.

Proof please?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisw...214983,00.html
Jenny :~)

hmmm...
I think you shot yourself in the foot there...

quote..

..."men may come out worse because of differences that skew the statistics.
More men drive, and those that do cover more miles than the average woman,
so they simply have more opportunities to crash."

and

..."Women aren't the wonderfully attentive and careful drivers the Home
Office figures might suggest, though. "If you correct for mileage, you find
that females have a similar number of shunts and knocks, but they happen at
lower speeds," Stradling says."

--
(\__/)
Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Space
writes

[...]

There are women and there are thick women.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I would recommend a Toyota because of their renowned reliability - they are
replacing Land Rover in rough places all over the world. The Toyota Land
Cruiser? But with height comes width and then you have to back up more
often when meeting other cars. I have a Toyota RAV4 which is really a
4-wheel drive car but much higher. So is utterly reliable, no leaks, drives
like a car, does not take up the whole road, has car tax band, reasonable
fuel consumption, the higher ground clearance and big wheels allows me to
take to the verge to get around other traffic - I find it a good compromise.
cheers
Davy

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?
In this category I'm including e.g. the Nissan Navara which my son has

and
is recommending to me. Round here our hedges are extremely high and I

feel
safer in a high driving position, given the speed some people insist on
doing in these very narrow lanes.

Here, I have variously driven a Volvo saloon & estate, a Subaru Impreza, a
Landrover Defender and a Jeep Cherokee. The Defender was a great driving
position but I didn't enjoy the rain joining me inside the car or the ice
that formed on its floor one cold February morning. My daughter actually
slipped and fell getting into it!
I've absolutely had it with my Jeep which has done only 15k in 3 years,

had
several things wrong with it and now, finally, has blown the turbo as I

was
driving back from Somerset on Sunday. Mercifully, it's still *just* under
guarantee but it's got to go, even though it's a great car to drive and v.
comfortable. To be fair, Ray has had no trouble with his, so obviously I
got the Friday car!