Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT car query

"Sacha" wrote in message

Thanks, Charlie, I'll look into that. Driving like a car is also

important
as it will be what I drive most of the time, probably. I'm also

very
tempted by the Nissan Navara but choosing a new car is one of the

things I
most hate having to think about.

I drive the dual cab Nissan Navara and we are very, very pleased with
it, not the posh one with electric windows (I hate electric windows)
and all the bells and whistles, but the cheaper one. Good fuel economy
and torque and reasonably comfortable for a vehicle with a hard
suspension.

We recently drove it on a round trip of 2,500 km over a 3 day period
towing a 600kg car trailer on the back for half of that distance and
then returned with a vehicle on the car trailer. Still had good fuel
economy and it didn't even feel like we had either the trailer on the
back. I also felt reasonably fresh when I got out of it after more
than 8 hours on the road on the days of travel so I was very
impressed.

We spent part of this morning in Exeter
going round the car dealerships on the trading estate and I can't

say I got
mad about any of them, really. My heart still sort of hankers after

the
Land Rover Defender but my spine tells me 'no'!

My husband is a Land Rover tragic (I think he has either 12 or 13 of
them) and I also vetoed the Defender.

Old 14-10-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bigjon" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:34:06 +0100, Catswhisker wrote:

"bigjon" wrote in message
. ..

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

You bloody fool. She wants to see over the hedges to see what's coming
the
other way.

Watching the road is the best place to see whats coming.

A little difficult if the road is all bends, if you can see over the hedges
you can stop sooner.

Obvious really!

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bigjon" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:56:01 +0100, June Hughes wrote:

In message , bigjon
writes

I would suggest you concentrate on the road, not what's over the hedges.

Erm - Sacha lives in the country not in town. Have you driven in Devon?
Have you driven in the country at all? If so, you will know what she is
getting at.

I live in the country... and I do _not_ look over the hedges - I watch the
road and drive at a sensible speed to brake in time for oncoming traffic -
unlike most women I encounter on the single track roads round here.

Women driving SUV's do not have a good reputation for attention to
driving
care in my town, especially on the school run. Unless you have more money
than sense, go and buy a proper car, not an SUV.

Any people driving SUV's in town without a very good reason should be
banished, IMNSHO. However, why did you single out women?

because they tend to use the chelsea tractor more than men for the "kids"
and "shopping" and "lunch" etc... Most men would simply drive to work and
back.

Fact: There are far more men drivers who are much worse than women.

Proof please?

That insurance for women is cheaper than that for men!

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Space
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Women driving SUV's do not have a good reputation for attention to

driving
care in my town, especially on the school run. Unless you have more
money
than sense, go and buy a proper car, not an SUV.

Any people driving SUV's in town without a very good reason should be
banished, IMNSHO. However, why did you single out women?

I would guess that women were brought into this as a result of experiences
am sure we all have had witnessing the "schoolruns". unfortunately some
SUV
drivers do develop attitude and give less disregard for others on the
road.
I live near to a school, and if I drive past you can guarantee that there
will be at least SUV driver who has parked right on the bend, or will not
give way (my car is smaller than theirs so guess who has to pull over or
stop)

an Australian friend mentioned to me about protests SUVs nearby
schools.
I had a quick look in google and found this.

http://tinyurl.com/z9g9b

There are women and there are thick women.

There are men and there are thick men!

Alan
--
June Hughes