Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT car query

Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?
In this category I'm including e.g. the Nissan Navara which my son has and
is recommending to me. Round here our hedges are extremely high and I feel
safer in a high driving position, given the speed some people insist on
doing in these very narrow lanes.

I can't help thinking you would get a more informed answer on
uk.rec.driving The trade off will be that the higher centre of gravity
makes an SUV more likely to roll in a collision.

If you have a lot of gardening kit to move around and do a fairly low
mileage a mid sized van might be a better choice anyway. They have a
very high driving position.

Although I drive a lot of narrow lanes in N Yorks the visibility is
usually pretty good from a normal saloon car (or so bad that no amount
of extra height will help). Blind Z bends under old railway bridges on
single track roads for instance.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after Bob Hobden"
replied to her
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving
position?

snip

You won't find much as tall as a Defender, I find I look down on most
other
4x4's . Indeed I have remarked that I wished I was driving our one on the
odd occasion when trying to get to your place. That lane of yours is so
narrow, and yes, I did meet a dustbin lorry coming the other way once.
:-(

No, I don't think there's anything as high as the Defender, either. We
have
noticed a considerable increase in traffic, much of it going much too fast
for the conditions. We think some of it is people using our lanes as a
ratrun from the A38 Ashburton side to Dartington or Totnes. There has
been
a big increase in the number and size of tractors & trailers, too and the
other day I had to back up 5 times for different cars and farm vehicles,
in
just 2.5 miles. Your Landy would be the best thing for visiting us but a
bit rattly for such a long journey, perhaps?

Well I had the engine apart a couple of weeks ago so it's a lot better than
it was, doesn't smoke any more. But I certainly wouldn't want to do the
journey to your place in it, all those allotment gardening tools rattling in
the back. :-)

Anyway, a Ford improved "New" Defender comes out next year with a new engine
and gearbox and hopefully some decent seals. Although the Landy nuts all say
good door seals would simply make it float when deep wading, wouldn't let
the water in. :-)

Toyota have a very good reputation for reliability and some of their
4x4's
are quite good for their proper purpose although they do tend to look a
bit
brash imo.
The New Discovery is the best looking LandRover at the moment imo and
very
capable, reliability seems improved too after the push by BMW and then
Ford.
Of the more road orientated 4x4's the BMW X5 is still up there with the
best
although soon to be replaced (should be some deals around) and the new
Mercedes M Class has got excellent reviews (unlike the old one).

I'll look into those but am not sure I want a 'new' car so I'll look at
the
older models, yes. I resent the depreciation as soon as it's driven out
of
the show room and with these lanes the scratching cars get is awful,
especially when you get someone with a posh car who will NOT pull right
into
the hedge to pass you, just because of those threatened scratches!
Thanks for the good advice, Bob.

OK, not new.... some more thoughts..... first something a little
unusual......\
If you can find a well looked after, full service history, second hand
Mercedes "G" Wagon they are as good as a Defender in the rough stuff, about
as tall, and as nice inside as any other Mercedes, provided it was specked
right in the first place. Has status too, in the pukka 4x4 brigade, still
made to order only and very expensive new.
Some good pics of one in action at..
http://www.gwagen.de/html/english/Pics.html
Don't get the old model Mercedes ML not that good a vehicle.
Of course if you really want something really tall there is the Mercedes
Unimog or LandRover Forward Control 101. They would even get the dustbin
lorry backing up down the lane. :-)

The BMW X5 has been around for years and has always has been top of the tree
for road orientated 4x4s and is OK off road provided it's fitted with the
right tyres, ie. not big wide road tyres. Lots about and some excellent 6
cylinder diesel engines. The following site will find you a pre owned one at
the right price somewhere near you...
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/homep...-bmwuk,00.html

You may be able to get a pre used new model Disco 3, it's been around for a
while now and one sit inside and you will fall in love with it. That would
be my first choice to try. Find one at...
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...d_vehicles.htm

What ever you buy make sure it's on the tyres for the job, even ATs (All
Terrain), although the more open the tread the more noise they make.

Happy hunting.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 10-10-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 18:01, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Women driving SUV's do not have a good reputation for attention to

driving
care in my town, especially on the school run. Unless you have more money
than sense, go and buy a proper car, not an SUV.

Any people driving SUV's in town without a very good reason should be
banished, IMNSHO. However, why did you single out women?

I would guess that women were brought into this as a result of experiences I
am sure we all have had witnessing the "schoolruns". unfortunately some SUV
drivers do develop attitude and give less disregard for others on the road.

We live next to a village school and to us, school run time is an utter
nightmare and we try not to have to drive anywhere during those periods but
that is more because of the fact that one has to back up so often than
anything else. However, I object, as do others, to the idea that *women*
are to be singled out for the tirade I received with regard to the kind of
car I prefer to drive for very good reasons. I do not live in a town, I do
not regard a car as a status symbol and I never have because to me, that
kind of thinking is puerile. Nonetheless I and my gender were insulted on
the basis of the sort of car I, a woman of 60, living in the depths of
Devon, chooses to drive. It is impossible to respect someone who expresses
their own views or frustrations that way, however justified they may be in
*their* life.
The worst and most frightening driver I have encountered here was a father
driving a BMW saloon with a child strapped into the back of it. He was
doing about 60 in a particularly narrow lane and as he shot past us,
cowering in the hedge, I literally had my hands over my eyes. I could not
believe he didn't hit us.
I really have no patience with this nonsense that women are bad or dangerous
drivers because they drive SUV's. In this area, women drive those because
they live a life similar to mine - farmers' wives, horsey people - or they
drive rather beaten up old cars because they can't afford newer ones. This
is NOT a show offy part of England, which is one of its major attractions
for those of us who live here.

snip
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-10-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 18:48, in article , "Davy"
wrote:

I would recommend a Toyota because of their renowned reliability - they are
replacing Land Rover in rough places all over the world. The Toyota Land
Cruiser? But with height comes width and then you have to back up more
often when meeting other cars. I have a Toyota RAV4 which is really a
4-wheel drive car but much higher. So is utterly reliable, no leaks, drives
like a car, does not take up the whole road, has car tax band, reasonable
fuel consumption, the higher ground clearance and big wheels allows me to
take to the verge to get around other traffic - I find it a good compromise.

snip

Thanks, Davy. I'm looking at the Toyota range, certainly. Width is not
such a consideration here in that the lanes are mainly one track any way and
reversing is just a way of life round here. Most of us can drive as fast
backwards as we can forwards! ;-) The locals know where all the pulling in
spaces are and we all back up happily - or not so happily if it's for the
fifth time, perhaps but we do it - and a wave of the hand or a lift of the
forefinger in acknowledgment is the norm. If I get from here to Ashburton
which is 2.5 miles, without having to pull over or back up, I count it as a
small miracle!

Old 10-10-2006, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 18:50, in article
, "Martin Brown"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?
In this category I'm including e.g. the Nissan Navara which my son has and
is recommending to me. Round here our hedges are extremely high and I feel
safer in a high driving position, given the speed some people insist on
doing in these very narrow lanes.

I can't help thinking you would get a more informed answer on
uk.rec.driving The trade off will be that the higher centre of gravity
makes an SUV more likely to roll in a collision.

In these lanes it won't roll far. There's no room!

If you have a lot of gardening kit to move around and do a fairly low
mileage a mid sized van might be a better choice anyway. They have a
very high driving position.

Not gardening kit, no. But plants, dogs, bags of compost, that sort of
thing. The Nursery already has a pick up truck but this would be a useful
addition but needs to be a fairly comfortable car, too. That's where the
Nissan Navara started to come into the equation. It's not any bigger than
the truck but it has a 'lid' on the back and he's used it several times to
come back and forth from Jersey, taking plants and many other bits and
pieces they've bought over here. I'm aware that I'm looking for a
compromise so I'm trying to be careful how I go about it.
snip

Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/10/06 18:01, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

[...]

Sacha - my reply was to put forward a possible suggestion why women were
singled out. for the record, as a lady driver (of a ford focus) I still get
grief from many blokes. I drive a lot more miles than many men, have a clean
license and have had no accidents. my comment still stands that some people
do develop a certain attitude depending on the type of vehicle they drive
whether it be a volvo, bmw or ferrari, maybe even a focus (although I don't
know why!)

Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?

--
Sacha

Adding my pennyworth to the thread. My latest 'car' is a Peugeot Expert Van.
It has a good high position for driving and seeing over hedges and is
incredibly practical - especially when visiting garden centres and DIY
stores - boot size and capacity are seldom issues now! It is also small
enough to be easily navigable and to park in typical supermarket size
parking spaces. Horses for courses I suppose - a small white van may not
have a glamorous image but I certainly don't regret buying it instead of a
car.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Space" wrote in message

my comment still stands that some people
do develop a certain attitude depending on the type of vehicle they

drive
whether it be a volvo, bmw or ferrari, maybe even a focus (although

I don't
know why!)

I must admit that I'd agree with that view. I live on a busy highway
and as my husband has lots of old Series 1 Land Rovers and a 1948 MG
TC and I own a 1952 Morris Minor we are often very slow moving and are
considered to be a road block to a certain type of road user.

I've noticed that (generally) the more expensive the car and the more
affluent the people in the car look, the more aggressivley and rudely,
they drive. It is the beat up old cars driven by country people who
seem to give us the most considerationw hen we are out in the Noddy
cars.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 19:50, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?

--
Sacha

Adding my pennyworth to the thread. My latest 'car' is a Peugeot Expert Van.
It has a good high position for driving and seeing over hedges and is
incredibly practical - especially when visiting garden centres and DIY
stores - boot size and capacity are seldom issues now! It is also small
enough to be easily navigable and to park in typical supermarket size
parking spaces. Horses for courses I suppose - a small white van may not
have a glamorous image but I certainly don't regret buying it instead of a
car.

Thanks, David, I'll look at that. But I must have a double seating
arrangement as I have to drive a child around at times and besides, don't
want to restrict our options when we have family or visitors staying.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/06 16:45, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Does anyone know which private type car has the highest driving position?

I'd have to go with the others who recommended a Land Rover. The SWB
one has a smaller turning circle than the old Golf (not tried a new
one) and is not as tiring to drive as you might think.

Failing that, consider the Fiat Multipla or the older Espace, or a
Toyota and cruiser.

Or a periscope.

Lots of road tests at
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests

Or a helicopter :~)
Or one of these, though it's a tad on the large side:
http://www.robgray.com/motorhomes/photos.htm

I think I'll pass on that! It wouldn't even get up the beginning of our
lane.

I personally find vans have a higher wheelbase than cars. Plus loads of room
for carting stuff about. I learnt to drive in a Comer van (giving my age
away........!) and used to drive a Ford Transit. Both were pretty high.
Jenny

I don't want a van exactly but I suppose I do want a combination of the two,
if possible.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/10/06 16:45, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

[...]

Take a look at the Mercedes Vito, its the van we drive but it comes with a
very flexible inside re seating and can have windows etc, its lower than a
Discovery so gets into multi stories and has better fuel consumption than
most 4x4s. Drives like a car, Liz is delighted with it!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

I don't want a van exactly but I suppose I do want a combination of the two,
if possible.

Isuzu?
PS Possibly big bucks
--