Old 13-10-2006, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles... Will it work?

Hi,

My backyard has as many moles as weeds... I do not mind killing the
weeds, but I do not want to kill the moles. I already tried everything,
including gently asking them to leave and singing (usually works with
my wife)... Now I saw this text:
"Euphorbia lathyris is also known as the 'mole plant' because of its
reputation for deterring the activity of this creature. The Mole Plant
can act as an annual, bienniel, or perennial depending upon how it is
grown and the weather conditions. It grows about 2 feet tall and is
very easy to grow. If prefers sun or part-sun. It can be mixed into the
flower beds to repel moles but is even attractive on it's own. Hardy in
zones 5-10."

Does any of you used this plant to get rid of moles?

PA

Old 13-10-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My backyard has as many moles as weeds... I do not mind killing the
weeds, but I do not want to kill the moles. I already tried everything,
including gently asking them to leave and singing (usually works with
my wife)... Now I saw this text:
"Euphorbia lathyris is also known as the 'mole plant' because of its
reputation for deterring the activity of this creature. The Mole Plant
can act as an annual, bienniel, or perennial depending upon how it is
grown and the weather conditions. It grows about 2 feet tall and is
very easy to grow. If prefers sun or part-sun. It can be mixed into the
flower beds to repel moles but is even attractive on it's own. Hardy in
zones 5-10."

Does any of you used this plant to get rid of moles?

PA

trap is best.......the method goes

place trap in mole run
catch mole (so) or is miles not sure.
lay mole out in sun to ripen
wait a few days for junk mail to arrive with freepost envelope
place mole in envelope and post.

there that's more interesting than just planting a weed that wont work
anyway.

Old 13-10-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lez Pawl wrote:
"P. Alves" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, but does it keep the junk mail away?
Old 13-10-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, P.
Alves writes
Hi,

My backyard has as many moles as weeds... I do not mind killing the
weeds, but I do not want to kill the moles. I already tried everything,
including gently asking them to leave and singing (usually works with
my wife)... Now I saw this text:
"Euphorbia lathyris is also known as the 'mole plant' because of its
reputation for deterring the activity of this creature. The Mole Plant
can act as an annual, bienniel, or perennial depending upon how it is
grown and the weather conditions. It grows about 2 feet tall and is
very easy to grow. If prefers sun or part-sun. It can be mixed into the
flower beds to repel moles but is even attractive on it's own. Hardy in
zones 5-10."

Does any of you used this plant to get rid of moles?

I believe that Evening Primrose is good at preventing moles and it
seemed to work for me some 25 years ago, although that could have been a
coincidence.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-10-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Lez Pawl wrote:
"P. Alves" wrote in message
[...]

I term it junk mole...........and no unfortunately but it does provide more
vehicles for other interesting contents.

Old 13-10-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I haven't tried the mole plant but I'm getting better at catching
moles. You would be surprised to discover how few moles cause that
extensive damage in your garden. A single mole covers a vast area very
quickly - in fact when my 1/3 acre lawn infestation was at its worst,
it was all caused by just two moles, now deceased. But others come in
every year so its an ongoing battle to keep the surface of my lawn
sound and safe for human beings.

The first time I tackled them, I called in the molecatcher and his
subterranean traps did the trick - so I thought I would just copy him
next time. But those mousetrap-type devices are sensitive and quite
difficult to set and I got fed up with them snapping my fingers off.

So, I'm now using with great success, the above-ground traps, seen he
http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E - not only
are they much easier to set but you can easily see when they have been
sprung without exploratory excavations. You don't need more than two
traps - and if you don't catch the varmits in a couple of days, just
move the traps to another fresh part of the mole tunnel network.

FWIW, I have also had local success with this solar powered mole
scarer: http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168361E but
they emit annoying beeps and may simply move a mole away to another
part of a large garden.
Old 13-10-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
So, I'm now using with great success, the above-ground traps, seen he
http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E - not only
are they much easier to set but you can easily see when they have been
sprung without exploratory excavations. You don't need more than two
traps - and if you don't catch the varmits in a couple of days, just
move the traps to another fresh part of the mole tunnel network.

They look lethal! Do the moles get skewered? Do you need to excavate at all
or just push them into the ground? How do you know where to put them? I'm
keen to rid my garden and lawn of moles, they always home in on freshly
planted ground and uproot seedlings and cuttings. I've tried everything else
to get rid of them with not much success.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My backyard has as many moles as weeds... I do not mind killing the
weeds, but I do not want to kill the moles. I already tried everything,
including gently asking them to leave and singing (usually works with
my wife)... Now I saw this text:
"Euphorbia lathyris is also known as the 'mole plant' because of its
reputation for deterring the activity of this creature. The Mole Plant
can act as an annual, bienniel, or perennial depending upon how it is
grown and the weather conditions. It grows about 2 feet tall and is
very easy to grow. If prefers sun or part-sun. It can be mixed into the
flower beds to repel moles but is even attractive on it's own. Hardy in
zones 5-10."

Does any of you used this plant to get rid of moles?

PA

The plant is very effective when planted correctly... first remove all the
soil from the backyard, then lay 6 inches of concrete over the entire area
and set the plant directly into the middle of the concrete. Never another
mole hill again ;-)

Old 13-10-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , David in Normandy
wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
So, I'm now using with great success, the above-ground traps, seen he
http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E - not only
are they much easier to set but you can easily see when they have been
sprung without exploratory excavations. You don't need more than two
traps - and if you don't catch the varmits in a couple of days, just
move the traps to another fresh part of the mole tunnel network.

They look lethal! Do the moles get skewered? Do you need to excavate at
all
or just push them into the ground? How do you know where to put them? I'm
keen to rid my garden and lawn of moles, they always home in on freshly
planted ground and uproot seedlings and cuttings. I've tried everything
else
to get rid of them with not much success.

Lethal is what it says on the tin. The sprung spikes skewer the mole
and death is instantaneous... No excavation needed at all - just make a
small indentation with thumb or heel in the lawn on top of a tunnel and
centre the trap on the indentation. Push in and pull the portcullis up
to cock it. Drink Earl Grey in the conservatory while casting an
occasional glance to the battlezone - and try not to spill any when the
portcullis drops.

When you lift out the trap, the mole will indeed be skewered to it -
but easy enough to push off for the burial.

Fill mole tunnel with topsoil or top dressing, re-seed if necessary and
rejoice.

Excellent! You've sold me! I just need to see if I can find them for sale
here in France, or failing that if Northern Tools does International mail
order.

Old 13-10-2006, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

how do you know where to put them?

Look for the tunnels leading to a molehill - they may be obvious as the
turf will have lifted slightly above them; if not, poke around
carefully with a sharp stick or cane to find cavities an inch or two
below the turf, being careful not to leave the surface broken since Mr
Mole doesn't like sunlight. Make a small indentation in the roof of the
tunnel and position the trap on top of it, straddling the cavity. Mr
Mole will scurry past the trap's fixing spikes and will be forced by
the indentation to push upwards at that point to trigger the
portcullis.
Old 13-10-2006, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6048988.stm

Old 14-10-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My backyard has as many moles as weeds... I do not mind killing the
weeds, but I do not want to kill the moles. I already tried everything,
including gently asking them to leave and singing (usually works with
my wife)... Now I saw this text:
"Euphorbia lathyris is also known as the 'mole plant' because of its
reputation for deterring the activity of this creature. The Mole Plant
can act as an annual, bienniel, or perennial depending upon how it is
grown and the weather conditions. It grows about 2 feet tall and is
very easy to grow. If prefers sun or part-sun. It can be mixed into the
flower beds to repel moles but is even attractive on it's own. Hardy in
zones 5-10."

You may not have noticed, but this is a group aimed at the inhabitants of a
small island just off the west coast of europe, we do not have zones, we
have weather!

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Lez Pawl wrote:
"P. Alves" wrote in message
[...]

I try to discorage it by marking the envelope 'Not known at this address'
and stuff it back in the post, doesn't always work but it is satsfying to
think that it's being paid for by someone else, or, if it has a return
envelope, put everything back in the envelope and put it in the mail without
a stamp.

Every week I get a property news through the door, even though I have asked
them to stop, so I put a note in it, roll it up with a label marked with the
address of the idiots why put it through the door, and, again, send it
without a stamp.

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
I try to discorage it by marking the envelope 'Not known at this address'
and stuff it back in the post, doesn't always work but it is satsfying to
think that it's being paid for by someone else, or, if it has a return
envelope, put everything back in the envelope and put it in the mail
without a stamp.

You can stop most junk mail from the larger organisations by registering
your address with the MPS - you can also opt out of most telesales calls too
via the TPS - in fact it is illegal for companies to phone you trying to
sell you stuff if you are registered with TPS - you can report them and get
them into big trouble. I worked for an organisation for a while that
processed lots of name and address information, and we had to "wash" the
databases by running software that deleted those in the MPS register. Most
of the larger organisations that send out junk mail subscribe to the MPS
service - it is in their financial interests too, since they don't want to
send mail out to people who are 100% guaranteed to bin it. Like you I hate
junk mail and telesales calls - I too used to send back items in their own
envelopes unpaid (and worse) until I discovered the MPS and TPS service. I
must be a sad git because I ended up getting so little junk mail I had
little left to get mad about :-) I used to enjoy having a bit of a rant
about such things!

Link to MPS:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM