Old 13-10-2006, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fri 3:15 pm BBC2 'Open Gardens'

I've just noticed Carol Klein's new series about NGS gardens in this
afternoon's tv schedule:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ns_index.shtml

Seems the series started on the 9th and has been on every weekday
afternoon. Darn it! I hadn't realised it had started showing yet, so
I've missed them all til now which I'm annoyed about as I like Carol
Klein - has anyone been following the series? There doesn't seem to be a
'watch the previous programmes' video link on the Beeb's site,
unfortunately. This is one instance where I'd welcome repeats as soon
as!

--
Sue

Old 17-10-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A really nasty cold kept me home so I managed to catch this today.
What a pity it is tucked away in an afternoon slot, because it really
does warrant a more accessible viewing time. It is a tale of gardeners
aspiring to join the National Gardens Scheme and gives insight into the
trials and tribulations involved in preparing them for inspection and
hopefully, acceptance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the programme is a
real treat and a far cry from the idiotic daytime gardening 'shows'
that have cluttered the screen in recent years.

Old 17-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
DavePoole Torquay writes
A really nasty cold kept me home so I managed to catch this today.
What a pity it is tucked away in an afternoon slot, because it really
does warrant a more accessible viewing time. It is a tale of gardeners
aspiring to join the National Gardens Scheme and gives insight into the
trials and tribulations involved in preparing them for inspection and
hopefully, acceptance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the programme is a
real treat and a far cry from the idiotic daytime gardening 'shows'
that have cluttered the screen in recent years.

I had hoped to see this David but unfortunately I was unable to. Does
BBCi repeat BBC2 progs?

--
Judith Lea
Old 17-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
In article .com,
DavePoole Torquay writes
A really nasty cold kept me home so I managed to catch this today.
What a pity it is tucked away in an afternoon slot, because it really
does warrant a more accessible viewing time. It is a tale of gardeners
aspiring to join the National Gardens Scheme and gives insight into the
trials and tribulations involved in preparing them for inspection and
hopefully, acceptance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the programme is a
real treat and a far cry from the idiotic daytime gardening 'shows'
that have cluttered the screen in recent years.

I had hoped to see this David but unfortunately I was unable to. Does BBCi
repeat BBC2 progs?

Judith Lea

Couldn't find repeats anywhere, but there is a page on the BBC site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ns_index.shtml
jenny

Old 17-10-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote
A really nasty cold kept me home so I managed to catch this today.
What a pity it is tucked away in an afternoon slot, because it really
does warrant a more accessible viewing time.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, but I'm glad someone else has
had a chance to catch this. I enjoyed it very much as well. I remembered
to record yesterday's episode and today's will keep 'til I can have a
bit of peace to watch it.

Yes, I agree this deserves a better time, and once again the Beeb afaik
didn't put any ad trailers after e.g. Gardener's World when more
potential viewers might have been tipped off to set video/dvd recorders.

It is a tale of gardeners
aspiring to join the National Gardens Scheme and gives insight into
the trials and tribulations involved in preparing them for inspection
and hopefully, acceptance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, the programme is
a real treat and a far cry from the idiotic daytime gardening 'shows'
that have cluttered the screen in recent years.

It's always nice to get the chance to have a browse round other people's
gardens if only via a tv screen.

I found it interesting to see what criteria the NGS judges use to decide
what 'makes the grade' and what anyone would have to think about before
applying. Wonder whether more people will be spurred on to have a go at
joining the scheme than are scared off by the extra hard work? :-)

--
Sue

Old 17-10-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote
"Judith Lea" wrote
I had hoped to see this David but unfortunately I was unable to. Does
BBCi repeat BBC2 progs?

Couldn't find repeats anywhere, but there is a page on the BBC site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ns_index.shtml

Hopefully they'll repeat the series at some stage - I want to see the
ones I missed!

--
Sue

Old 21-10-2006, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Judith Lea
writes

I had hoped to see this David but unfortunately I was unable to. Does
BBCi repeat BBC2 progs?

No - only the programmes you hope never to see again! I didn't find out
about this until Friday, too late to see it. Have searched on the
Internet sites etc but no sign of them being repeated even on Satellite
or cable.
Might have known ...................

Have been catching Daphne Ledward's Garden Hopping programme which I
hadn't seen before. That's been on this week.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-10-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stan The Man" wrote
snip
The dedicated chap with a wild/natural vegetable garden on the banks
of a raging Cumbrian river was inspirational - and great TV.
Definitely not usual NGS fare but they let him in (possibly only
because the TV cameras were there) and hopefully he will get lots of
visitors next year.

Absolutely agree about the Cumbian gardener. He could see the natural
beauty all around him even if the NGS lady was finding it hard to feel
quite the same without any perennial borders to judge.
I'm glad he got his chance; you don't always want to visit the same type
of manicured, designed garden over and over again.

Did you see the one about Mr Podmore at Consall Hall? (Staffordshire
iirc.) That was just about as far to the opposite end of the spectrum
from the wild garden as you could get, but the landscape he'd created
was so inspiring. It was such a shame there was bad weather on his open
day. I thought I'd love to go there if I ever get the chance.

--
Sue

Old 21-10-2006, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Judith Lea
writes

I had hoped to see this David but unfortunately I was unable to. Does
BBCi repeat BBC2 progs?

No - only the programmes you hope never to see again! I didn't find out
about this until Friday, too late to see it. Have searched on the
Internet sites etc but no sign of them being repeated even on Satellite
or cable.
Might have known ...................

They will be repeated - it's an excellent series, albeit inevitably
overly stage-managed for my liking...and also tending to fall into the
'Digging Deep' trap of over-sentimentalisation/exploitation of people
with chronic illnesses.