Old 15-10-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greenhouse: flece or bubble wrap?

Which is better: bubble wrap or fleece, for greenhouse insulation?

No question - bubble wrap. Insulation of a greenhouse is the same as
insulation of a house. The best insulator is air. But it needs to be
trapped between two sheets of glass or plastic, as in double glazing.
Fleece does not trap air and would be useless. Fleece protects plants
outside because it creates an area of still air - and we all feel warmer
when we get out of the wind. Plain polythene would be almost as effective
as bubble wrap and could let more light in.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Which is better: bubble wrap or fleece, for greenhouse insulation?

No question - bubble wrap.

Thanks. I've bought a roll but how do I fit it? Do you do vertical
strips or horizontal, or doesn't it matter?

It came with clips that fit the grooves in the aluminium frame but
there are not any groves on the corners. How do you attach it at the
corners?

Unfortunately I don't know. I only have a wooden summer house and fitted it
last year with drawing pins. What about sellotape. It doesn't matter if
the rolls are vertical or horizontal - whichever is more convenient. Think
of it like double glazing in a house. The fewer gaps the better it will
work.

Old 16-10-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:01:41 GMT, "Peter Sutton"
wrote:

Which is better: bubble wrap or fleece, for greenhouse insulation?

No question - bubble wrap.

Thanks. I've bought a roll but how do I fit it? Do you do vertical
strips or horizontal, or doesn't it matter?

Makes no difference, whatever is easiest to put up.

It came with clips that fit the grooves in the aluminium frame but
there are not any groves on the corners. How do you attach it at the
corners?

How 'wide' apart are the corners from a place where you can slip it to the
frame?
You could sort of fold it into the corners if it's not too far apart. Or
maybe rest a bamboo cane against the corner, that's stuck in the ground?
Jenny

Old 17-10-2006, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Which is better: bubble wrap or fleece, for greenhouse insulation?

No question - bubble wrap.

Thanks. I've bought a roll but how do I fit it? Do you do vertical
strips or horizontal, or doesn't it matter?

It came with clips that fit the grooves in the aluminium frame but
there are not any groves on the corners. How do you attach it at the
corners?

Thanks.

If you have wooden joinery (which I doubt) as uprights in the corners you
can use a staple gun but put a strip of plastic packing tape (the stuff that
is used to bind boxes) down the length of the upright on top of the bubble
wrap and staple through them both. When you want to remove the bubble wrap
simply pull the packing tape down. Most of the staples will come away with
it.

Plastic packing tape is also good for underfloor insulation or building
paper.

rob